Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
I've just gotten an email from a title company ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 7/13/12 8:54pm
Msg #426773

... one of my more productive and better clients, that they want to interview me on Skype (dome of the more experienced NSAs will know who I'm talking about). It was a strange request, and I'm really curious: How many on this forum have Skype?

I signed up for it three years ago to use during a cruise, and didn't get much use out of it, so I cancelled. Do any of you find that it fills a niche in our business, and what is that niche? And why on earth would thie title company want to interview me by Skype?

Reply by HisHughness on 7/13/12 8:55pm
Msg #426774

Should be "some," not "dome" n/m

Reply by PegiT_MN on 7/13/12 9:02pm
Msg #426775

I guess they're trying to weed out the crazies!

Make sure you are dressed professional for the interview Hugh......no tank tops, no cut offs, not flip-flops.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 7/13/12 10:23pm
Msg #426780

Re: I guess they're trying to weed out the crazies!

Hugh, I got the same email..Its so they can see us face to face and see if we look good and know our stuff! We can ace this!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/13/12 10:36pm
Msg #426785

Yeah, I use Skype, but have never used it in my NSA capacity. It's a cheap/easy way to make a phone call with my friends in Africa.

Reply by sueharke on 7/14/12 12:52am
Msg #426799

I just signed up for skype. The learning curve is getting easier. I can see the use of it as notary talking to ss and others.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/14/12 9:47am
Msg #426837

I'm not going to skype to companies - IMO making

oneself available to skype will only open the door to them wanting to skype during the closing/signing assignment. If I'm busy, I sure don't have the time to power up a computer/laptop and log in to skype with someone who wants to ask "How's it going? Any questions? Are you done yet? Did you drop the package?"

No thanks...call me on the phone, agree to my fee, give me the assignment, and you'll see your package after closing - job done.

I'm beginning to believe that our technology is just going way way overboard, is too pervasive, and is more an annoyance/hindrance than anything else.

JMO

Reply by Les_CO on 7/14/12 9:38am
Msg #426835

I In your case I’d guess it’s to see if you’re still breathing, and it’s not one of your ex-wives usurping your name/business. Plus it's easier than sending someone to conduct an interview in person. Could also be in preparation for “notarization by video?” What fun! We could have the loan officer (not in a bar), the escrow officer, the borrower, and the “Notary Videoic” all on a video conference call, doing a video closing (for $25). JMO

Reply by 101livescan on 7/14/12 10:16am
Msg #426840

To see how many piercings and tattoos you sport?

Reply by bfnotary on 7/14/12 5:04pm
Msg #426873

I have tattoos, lol, but every single one of them is hidden in work clothes.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/14/12 11:45pm
Msg #426901

I am going bald on the crown of my head. I was thinking of getting a tat of a guy pussing a lawn mower. What do you think?

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/14/12 11:46pm
Msg #426902

Now thats a typo I mean pushing a lawn mower..... LOL

Reply by MikeC/TX on 7/14/12 3:59pm
Msg #426865

I have Skype, but have never used it for business purposes - I only use it to as another way of keeping in touch with family and friends back in NY. It actually reminded me of the "picture phones" they exhibited at the 1964 World's Fair in NYC - a concept that never really went anywhere until about 40 years or so later. The first time my 91-year old mom was pulled into one of those calls with me she didn't know what to make of it, but she seems to enjoy it now.

I don't know that it fills a need in this business, since what we do is ultimately person-to-person (unless you're once of those VA notaries who are certified by the state, but that's a horse of a different color that has already been beaten to death). If the title company has any reason to interview you, doing it via Skype would make perfect sense to me - there are nuances and visual cues you don't get in a simple phone conversation.

Reply by bfnotary on 7/14/12 5:05pm
Msg #426874

is there a fee for skype?

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 7/14/12 7:52pm
Msg #426886

I use Skype to communicate with my family in France. I absolutely love it because we can chat as long as we want for free. If a Title company wanted to interview me on Skype I wouldn't mind although I think the Skype video picture is not very flattering. As for fees, the only cost in using Skype is if you call regular telephone numbers with Skype. In other words I could call my cousin who does not have a computer on his land line and there would be a per minute cost but it is very reasonable.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 7/15/12 5:16pm
Msg #426957

There's no fee unless you're making phone calls to a landline or cellphone (as opposed to a video call over the Internet). There's also a fee if you want to conference people in on the video call. I just use the basic service, and it doesn't cost me a dime.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/15/12 12:02am
Msg #426903

Title Source wants to make you Elite? I want to be a white glove, gold plated, platinum covered, mistake free, out of this world branded, best in the business, best in class, Kind of Funky, Hip, Most informed, ever lovin', Power notary! .................... Yep that's what I want...........................yeah that's it!................... " The Title of Titles "...................... Ok I could go for steady work for a few years............ Then I want the Title, and my name up in lights, and autograph seekers, and.... Oh never mind.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.