Notary Rotary
Is there any reason why not?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/13/12 9:52pm
Msg #426778

Can a CA ack/jurat that is signed and stamped by the "attending" notary be filled out by somebody else? Such as another person has already filled out the proper date, names and venue (in their handwriting), leaving only the signature and stamp left for the notary to finish.
Also, the reverse: Can the notary stamp and sign and then have someone else fill out the rest?

Ghosts of robo-signing, I know, but aside from that, it seem it would be OK ....?

Actually, it seems to me that I have actually seen this during TC signings. The notary du jour IDs, gets sigs in journal, administers an oath (if they even bother) and then disappears, leaving the office flunkie to conduct the rest of the loan signing, fill out certificates and the rest of the journal and stamp. Then, the notary signs (hopefully. LOL!). But that's TC procedure ....

Reply by HisHughness on 7/13/12 10:28pm
Msg #426781

Why could a second party not fill out the certificate? What is the difference between that and typing in the information?

To do so <after> the notary has signed and stamped is an entirely different matter. If the information is filled out in advance, the notary has a chance to review it to see if it passes muster. That does not apply for information filled in later out of the presence of the notary.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/13/12 11:03pm
Msg #426790

Exactly. Good points! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/14/12 1:08am
Msg #426803

Agree 100% n/m

Reply by NJDiva on 7/14/12 10:12am
Msg #426839

Do you know after all these years, I did not know that?

I see it typed in quite often, but never anything written in by hand. Who would know whether it was filled in prior to the notary signing or after?

Hmm, as Susan Fischer says, I wouldn't pet that dog.

Also, is it true that we're only supposed to have one stamp? I never knew that either if so. I have a seal and two stamps. One for my purse and one for my signing briefcase. I like to have one with me at all times. One never knows. Since we are not obligated by law to maintain a log here in NJ, I don't feel pressured about doing a quick notarization for someone. Never on anything to do with POA;s or real estate transactions, but any others that I can think off off the top of my head...not so much of a priority.

I hate to say that to newbies, because I firmly believe that all notarizations should be documented, but there are times when it has come in handy for friends.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/14/12 1:06pm
Msg #426853

Re: Do you know after all these years, I did not know that?

I would think that number of stamps allowed (if an issue at all) would be part of state regulations. There is not such restriction in CA, but it's also not easy to just go buy another stamp. There's a whole process that involves approval from the SOS.

I agree that keeping a journal is a very good practice, even if not required - and probably even for friends. Wink You never know if their document may someday be disputed and it might be useful for them to have a record of the notarization. Not very likely, but you never know.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.