Notary Rotary
Lack of ID - Part II
Notary Discussion History

Lack of ID - Part II
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by ikando on 7/10/12 6:50am
Msg #426212

Lack of ID - Part II

My comments on 7/7 about lack of ID prompted many responses. My desire was to try to determine ways to help people to be able to get ID when they are not ambulatory. The following comments are exactly why I brought up the subject.

Notary1 of CO wrote, after quoting the SOS info (which is new within the past year. Prior to that, there was nothing to guide identification):

"’A notary public identifies a signer by carefully examining the identification presented and comparing the signature the person has made on the document with the signature on the identification. The notary public may also rely on their personal knowledge of the individual. Proper “ID” should include a photograph and signature, such as a driver’s license or passport. It is also considered sufficient identification if, under oath, a credible witness personally known to the notary public identifies the person.’

(Because this is so vague, I called the SOS and was told ID needed to be current.)

For bedridden people and patients that are not mobile, the state should provide some reasonable accommodations so that they can obtain a state ID card. Try sending a letter to the head of DMV explaining that lack of ID is causing problems for notaries that are trying to assist citizens in need with their important legal documents. You might also contact the news media or organizations that are advocates for senior citizens or people with disabilities, and let them contact the head of DMV.

You might propose that mobile notaries may become authorized to serve as field agents for DMV, to take digital photos of bedridden patients and submit the digital photos to update DMV records, so they can issue an ID card.”

(I’m trying to convince the legislature of just such options.)

And Goldgirl/CA commented:

“Here's part of a recent AP story about people's votes being rejected cos they didn't have ID. If the counties can tell people they can't vote or their vote won't count without ID, surely we notaries can't ID them either ... (?):”

The new voter ID law in Oklahoma lists many options for identifying the voter...many more than any of the notary statutes. I've suggested that portions of that list for voter ID be included in the notary info from SOS.

Someone else asked in the thread why the senior citizen/disabled advocates aren’t jumping in. The voter thing is the only reason anyone around here has had any interest in ID, and they seem to want to void the law that was passed. I’m trying to educate them that ID is necessary for everything anymore. I had to show my ID to get something changed on my cable account the other day.

I like the idea of a DMV advocate who could go to the person. My idea was to allow a DMV representative (since they have all the equipment necessary) to go to the individual. My problem is I can’t figure out how to make it work. The powers that be need to have everything laid out specifically before they feel comfortable moving forward. I’m looking for what has been done in other states.

And BTW, Oklahoma offers non-expiring IDs for nondrivers, and even waives the fee over 65. The main problem is educating everybody.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 7/10/12 8:50am
Msg #426216

MI SOS has a Mobile Office ...

Info is here: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1640_3408-31086--,00.html

Reply by pat/WA on 7/10/12 12:00pm
Msg #426232

Re: MI SOS has a Mobile Office ...

What a nice thing to do.
I wish Washington State had this service

Reply by ikando on 7/11/12 6:47am
Msg #426347

Re: MI SOS has a Mobile Office ...

Renee, looks like your SOS handles many of the duties handled in Oklahoma by the Department of Public Safety. Michigan apparently has embraced the concept of fewer bureaucrats.

Reply by Notary1/CO on 7/10/12 9:03pm
Msg #426327

If your state ID procedure includes "a credible witness personally known to the notary public identifies the person", then you may want to get to know the patient advocates and ombudsmen at local health care facilities. Find out if the patient advocate or ombudsman may serve as a credible witness to identify patients with expired ID.

Hospitals that I visit also have volunteers serving in spiritual care offices, offering spiritual comfort to patients. Get to know those volunteers.

Check your state laws for the definition of credible witness.

Reply by ikando on 7/11/12 6:38am
Msg #426346

Notary1, while I appreciate your suggestions, for me they are not practical. First, most facilities of the type you mention do not allow any members of their staff (although I'm not sure if ombudsman is considered staff) to act as witnesses because of the risk of conflict of interest.

Second, between my admin business and my notary business, I don't have the time to try to identify and become familiar with the people in those positions. I do have a few contacts at the facilities I frequent, but that field is very transient--they change jobs frequently.

But thank you for the idea.

Reply by Notary1/CO on 7/11/12 10:02am
Msg #426357

I did not say to use a nurse or member of the staff.

http://www.okdhs.org/programsandservices/aging/docs/#ombudsman

Become a volunteer Ombudsman

The ombudsman program is supported by local volunteers who are committed to improving the lives of older persons in institutions. The Area Agencies on Aging Ombudsman Supervisors train, supervise and support the volunteers. Persons interested in volunteering should contact the Ombudsman Supervisor in their area, or state office personnel.

You can also contact the state ombudsman to discuss the notary problem with lack of ID.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.