Notary Rotary
New Notary
Notary Discussion History

New Notary
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Randy Rai on 7/6/12 6:18pm
Msg #425796

New Notary

What is the best way a new Notary starting out can learn the business? Any suggestions?

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/6/12 6:29pm
Msg #425797

Re: See message 422437 n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/6/12 6:32pm
Msg #425799

Do a search here (orange search button)..using

keyword "newbie" or "new"....get a drink, a snack, kick back and start reading

Wealth of information at your fingertips..

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/6/12 6:56pm
Msg #425802

Sure fire

You may want to rent a chicken outfit and stand on the corner waving a sign! "Will work for Nuggets"

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 7:00pm
Msg #425804

Clem???? Really? n/m

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/6/12 7:02pm
Msg #425806

Re: Clem???? Really?

Yep and the "chicks" dig it!

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 7:19pm
Msg #425809

For the sake of not wanting to spew negativity on the board,

I really should just let this go. But I'm curious as to what your point is? It sounds condescending and rude and it's not necessary.

I'm not defending this guy because he's obviously a newbie, phisher or troll, but it's uncomfortable to read responses like the one you posted. It's not the first time either. There are many times when you share valuable information but seriously, the forum would be a better place without the patronizing, non-helpful comments that get are slung around.

It's not just you! There are a select few (who'll remain nameless) that contribute the same nonsense.

Please, I implore you, continue sharing your significant experience and knowledge but spare us the gooberganash! (I just made that word up...rotflmao)

Sincerely and with love,
Cheryl

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 7:20pm
Msg #425810

they GET slung around and they ARE slung around just sayin n/m

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/6/12 7:51pm
Msg #425816

Re: For the sake of not wanting to spew negativity on the board,

"I really should just let this go. But I'm curious as to what your point is?"

What is the point in asking for a point if there is no point? I see from your point of view that everything must be serious. I make the point that "no one gets out of this life alive! So let's have fun and laugh as much as we can"

The word Gooberganash comes from the two base words

from urban dictionary

Goober

basically a goober is just a kindhearted, rather oblivious goofball. it's term of endearment really. it comes from the ancient scottish verb "to goub", which has to do with doing a dance and smiling sheepishly while doing so, exposing the goubs in one's teeth.
"That John is such a goober," said Jane as John vector-danced* his Junior Prom away.

and Ganash

Well I will not define it here it is not very nice for this forum! lets just say look it up and decide for yourself.

I am also rotflmao

SHAME ON YOU Cheryl!

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 7:54pm
Msg #425817

LMAO Good one Clem! It feels good to be shamed huh! lol

I thought it sounded familiar. And to think! I thought I made it up!

Reply by HisHughness on 7/6/12 8:04pm
Msg #425819

Well, now ...

***It feels good to be shamed***

Heck, I can do a lot better than that. I've got paddles, and riding crops, and velvet handcuffs, and clamps, and ... well, you know, all the standard stuff. C'mon over and I'll shame you shamelessly.

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 8:06pm
Msg #425821

OMGosh, it's gettin hot in here... n/m

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/6/12 8:07pm
Msg #425822

Re: Well, now ...

Wow, I didn't know you had a canoe, horses, were a cop, and did woodworking! Nice to know!

Reply by CJ on 7/6/12 11:35pm
Msg #425853

Dear Randi

You don't know it, but your question is basically, "Please tell me how I can take a cut of your business". No one here is going to tell you. Even if you don't live near any one of us in particular, this question pops up all the time on this forum, and all newbies live near SOMEONE. That is why many of the responses are sarcastic or rude. It's not that we are greedy, it's that this is our livelihood. Some months business is good, and some months business is bad. We all just came out of a three-year patch of practically no work, and there is no telling how soon that will be back. There is a finite amount of pie to go around and every new notary makes the slices a little thinner. Oftentimes borrowers ask how they can become a notary to suppliment their income. I WANT to say, "You split your paycheck with me, and I'll split my paycheck with you".

Reply by Susan Fischer on 7/6/12 11:43pm
Msg #425854

Well done, CJ, well done. n/m

Reply by Janice Bennett on 7/7/12 7:56am
Msg #425863

Randy asked a simple question: "what is the best way to learn this business, any suggestions?" The responses were rude and inappropriate. Why do you look at everyone as a potential threat to your business or livlihood? Its a spiritual principle that people need to "give back" or "give forward" in order to prosper in their own lives. This forum should be a support for others and not a "exclusive club" for the Notary elite who have been doing this LONGER than everyone else!

I just found this forum last week and I have been doing signings for four years. I never needed this forum to do the job. I just jumped in and did it. Why couldn't you just tell Randy what the steps are to do this business?

Randy, there are signing agent course that you can take that expains the whole process. I did mine through Huckleberry Notary. There are some companies that let you do it on line and you receive a certificate. Check this out:

http://www.nationalnotary.org/notary_training/nna_training_and_education.html

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/7/12 8:16am
Msg #425865

Oh yeah..good advice..refer him/her to the NNA

Janice, he was given two referrals...a link to a prior message and the orange search button. If the OP can't do his/her own research on how to build their business, how can they expect to RUN their own business? Too many people jump into the pool feet first without even researching their business opportunities then expect others to keep them afloat - they don't seem to realize it's up to THEM individually to float on their own.

I would never refer anyone to training with the NNA - expensive and bad info. Hopefully the one I WOULD refer to still monitors this board and will contact the OP - from what I've heard, Carol Ray's course is extremely good and very comprehensive, and post-certificate support is available. I've heard she and her staff are very very good.

JMO

Reply by Janice Bennett on 7/7/12 8:35am
Msg #425866

Re: Oh yeah..good advice..refer him/her to the NNA

Linda, Randy is doing his research by asking that question. You have to start somewhere. I clicked on the orange search button and it didn't tell me how I can get started in this business. People need some guidance on how to get started. Luckily I found a seminar from Huckleberry Notary in Jacksonville. It only took a few hours and I learned all the steps I needed to take. The instructor told us we could call him any time as we were getting started doing signings. I called him a few times and he was very helpful and supportive. Newbies are insecure at first because they don't know what they are doing yet. We were all there at one time ourselves.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/7/12 8:50am
Msg #425867

Janice, read 422437...Buddy said it right..

that post, and the responses, give a lot of info - if that's not enough guidance for someone to get started or point them in the right direction, both in their business AND in searching here, then I don't know what is.

This same question has been answered over and over and over again here over the years - the info is readily found using the orange search button - nothing has been deleted - if you're not finding the info you want using search, I'd suggest you look at and revise the keywords you're using. Trust me - this has been discussed and the info is there.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/7/12 9:12am
Msg #425869

By the way..for Florida new people....info on getting

started and advertising is contained right in our manual - Page 50

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/notary/ref_manual41-68.pdf

To the OP, I'd also suggest googling "Laura Vestanen" - she wrote a book that many swear by on marketing for general notary and loan signing work. It may be of some help - it has a very low cost but will be worth the investment - and remember, you need to invest money in your business to make money.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/7/12 12:07pm
Msg #425895

JANICE - you could use some of your own advice, and I am

willing to give you a bit right now.

Notary Rotary gives you the opportunity to display your wares - you know, what you are selling. You are selling a service. You do not take advantage of that last I looked. Nowhere do I see a profile for you on this site. If someone wants to contact you about a signing in your area, how are they to do this? then again, perhaps your name is not Janice Bennett and you are some kind of troll.?!

Usually people don't give advice or advise another if they are unsure of themselves. You have gone above and beyond, joining the ranks of a few others here.

Another thing, before I go, when I asked my mom what a word meant, her answer was almost always: go look it up; you will remember it better. That is called 'sweat equity.' That advice has stood the test of time admirably.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/7/12 1:06pm
Msg #425905

Re: JANICE - you could use some of your own advice, and I am

Jules
Her profile is under zip code 32256, Janice Bradley. She used to be Janice Bennett at least until last August. She isn't a troll, she had a name change. She has been a member of NotRot for a while, here is one of her posts back in April 2010 Msg #334157

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/7/12 1:09pm
Msg #425906

Oops should have added

I posted a link to a prior message, not for the content of the message but just to show that
she has been a member here for a while. I don't think she posts much, and I believe her post in this thread was meant to be helpful

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/7/12 1:16pm
Msg #425907

Are you sure they're one and the same?

In the post above she states she just found this forum last week. "I just found this forum last week and I have been doing signings for four years. I never needed this forum to do the job. I just jumped in and did it"

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/7/12 1:34pm
Msg #425909

Re: Are you sure they're one and the same?

Yes, it is the same person.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/7/12 12:14pm
Msg #425896

"You have to start somewhere. I clicked on the orange search button and it didn't tell me how I can get started in this business."

When I click on the Orange search button I am faced with some simple questions to answer - keywords, phrases, etc. When in input: new, getting started, I get 200 responses to the query and I know there are many many more.

My dear, that is an excuse you are giving to be lazy.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/7/12 12:41pm
Msg #425900

So my advice was just as good?

Reply by jba/fl on 7/7/12 12:49pm
Msg #425902

Not at all Clem. To be good it has to be constructive.

And don't argue with me - Hugh scooted over; go join him!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.