Notary Rotary
Notifying title of non-payment
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Les_CO on 7/23/12 10:50am
Msg #427685

A word of caution to all those notaries that think it’s wise to complain to the Title Company about non-payment. Some not too bright notary called a (unnamed) title company and furiously complained that a (unnamed) SS had not paid her for a job she did some time ago. Turns out that she WAS paid (within 10 days) and the check had cleared her bank. She “forgot.” Title calls the SS and asks why are you using this notary? She can’t keep track of her own records, or bank account, and you want us to trust her to do a closing, and get the package to us on time? So before you call and whine to Title about not being paid, best check your records (if you keep any) first. JMO

Reply by Larry/IL on 7/23/12 11:36am
Msg #427687

Something more.......

I know of at least Four title companies that have relatives or best friends that own signing services and have contracts. Those signing services are not going anywhere when complaints are made. In most cases it's the NSA that goes bye bye.

I am sure this is common knowledge but, A few title companies have told me they monitor these forums and see the comments that NSAs make. I was told by a few, when they see NSAs talking badly to each other and not using proper etiquette, they sometimes black ball NSAs on this alone.

I believe it's a good practice to always guard what you say and how you say it. Act as though your on display and all your family, peers and work acquaintances will see what you say and how you act.

Reply by Les_CO on 7/23/12 1:08pm
Msg #427698

Re: Something more.......

Yes confront the SS if not paid, but to call the lender, or title without checking? Foolish. Our job of NSA does not tolerate mistakes. One does not have to be a rocket scientist to do this job, but one MUST pay attention to detail. Checking the documents for errors before we leave the signing table is a must IMO. If your own record keeping is sloppy, and you can’t bother to check to see if you’ve been paid before you open your mouth, at least keep it to yourself. Don’t advertise the fact that you could care less about the job, checking for errors, and are the first to blame someone else for a mistake on your part.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.