Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Please raise your hand: How many people here . . .
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by CJ on 7/27/12 10:26am
Msg #428264

How many people here already knew everything before you became a mobile notary?

Reply by HisHughness on 7/27/12 10:28am
Msg #428266

I have never needed to know everything about anything

Fortunately, I married women who knew it all.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/27/12 10:29am
Msg #428268

you are so predictable Hugh :) n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/27/12 10:32am
Msg #428269

what's up CJ? are you trying to educate us? good luck lol n/m

Reply by CJ on 7/27/12 10:41am
Msg #428273

Re: what's up CJ? are you trying to educate us? good luck lol

I don't see why NR members turn into piranhas and shred people when questions are asked. We work with the public. We know how to be kind, patient and professional.

Sometimes I have questions, and sometimes I have answers. Sometimes my answers fall short and I need some educating too. There is no reason for people to be evil and mean.

I certainly didn't know everything when I started, and I am sure no one else did either. I don't know how any of us learned without someone telling us something.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/27/12 10:43am
Msg #428275

I completely agree n/m

Reply by Gina/VA on 7/27/12 11:06am
Msg #428283

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Its the main reason I'm always so hesitant to ask a question. I've been at this since 2004 but I'm finding that I still learn something new that another person may assume I should have known since birth.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/27/12 11:09am
Msg #428284

This is the umpteenth time we've had this discussion

How you react to the reactions on this board are dependent on how you view the function of this site. Note at the very top there is an announcement that NotRot serves "professional" notaries. It does not claim to be a training site for someone who just paid $17.50 for a stamp and now wants to slurp up all that gravy they've heard about. There are other avenues to fill the needs of people such as that.

As a professional, I welcome questions -- and answers -- about the difference between a mortgage and a deed of trust. They help me perform my job better.

I do not welcome, and do not think I should be expected to provide answers to, questions such as how to get started as a notary public, or what date to put on a notarial certification. That kind of thing is much like a wannabe engineer going onto a forum run by the American Society of Professional Engineers and asking "What's the difference between a volt and watt?"

That being said, the owner of the site is a businessman who almost certainly welcomes the maximum amount of traffic he can get through NotRot. Don't expect me, though, to be either a willing or even necessarily gracious participant in a notary public kindergarten.

Reply by Gina/VA on 7/27/12 11:28am
Msg #428287

Re: This is the umpteenth time we've had this discussion

I get it and I would never and have never asked a question about the 'how-to's' of this business. I started years ago and read, read, studied, studied, marketed, marketed but even after doing this for almost ten years does not mean I may not have a question or two about something that may appear odd to me.

The problem is Ive read posts on this board for many years and some of the questions get such mean-spirited responses (even to those that did not bother to do any research prior to asking), I can see how this discussion got started.

I will help anyway, even if its to point them to the correct post for an answer but even if it is a question I may feel should never have been asked without prior research, I dont have to be nasty about it. That is my only point.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/27/12 11:33am
Msg #428290

Re: This is the umpteenth time we've had this discussion

That is a very nice post. Kudos. You are obviously a woman with respect for others.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/27/12 11:52am
Msg #428299

I know it's "Shark Week," Hugh, but ....

I so totally agree with you, Hugh, but I got the impression that the OP was referring to the feeding frenzy that followed Pat's question earlier about EOM. The usual suspects weighed in with their predictable haughty, condescending, rude attitudes, but fortunately, more thoughtful notaries took the time to explain how EOM actually works. Yes, EOM is technically blah blah blah but it's often not that cut and dried. Perhaps Pat could have worded his question differently to ward off the circling Great Whites, but it was a good question that (finally) resulted in several excellent, informative responses, notably from your bud Bob Chicago and Deborah Breedlove.

Also, I'm always amused by the posters who get all puffed up about how they studied hard and learned everything on their own and didn't expect any help from anybody and read NR backwards and forwards and pulled up their socks before stepping into the NR arena with the Big Boys. The fact is if it weren't for questions like Pat posted, there would be no helpful information on NR for newbies or anybody else to learn from.

Reply by pat/WA on 7/27/12 12:30pm
Msg #428304

Re: I know it's "Shark Week," Hugh, but ....

Thank you

Reply by Barb25 on 7/27/12 11:29am
Msg #428288

This is one of the nicest and most honest posts I have read in a while. And I agree totally. There is knowledge, there is notary law, and there is opinion. All valid topics. Unfortunately respect for the opinions and rights of others are so often overlooked on this site. You don't have to like what someone says and you don't have to agree. Even if someone is breaking the "law" you can only tell them. Abuse is not ever right.

The reason I took this to PM is for that very reason. Just this morning I saw someone said "Why yesterday the end of month?" Answered by another: 27,28,30 and 31 payday." Good and correct answer. But then it had to have the sarcasm.... "How long have your been doing this?" Why is it necessary to in effect calling someone an idiot. Don't read or answer someone if you don't feel they don't deserve it (my sarcasm). (I guess I too am opinionated.)

Anyhow. I will get off my soapbox. Thanks for the nice post. You are right. We should be able to ask questions and give answers freely. We are all just folks. And can all learn. And do if given the opportunity.

Have a good one.
Barb

Reply by Barb25 on 7/27/12 11:34am
Msg #428291

Some day I will learn to do a PM correctly... Oh my n/m

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/27/12 12:35pm
Msg #428305

Agreed! Where's "Thumper's rule?"

If you can't say something nice... don't say nuthin' at all....

I don't mind correcting someone when they're wrong, but seriously folks, it reflects on your character, the spirit in which you reply.

If you can't correct with kindness, let someone else.

This is a great forum (when used appropriately) for educating and raising the standards across the board for our whole industry.

How nice would it be to never get the 2nd half of a botched two part-signing because the first notary was properly educated? We can't do anything to prevent people who are unqualified or unsuited from entering this business, but we can sure do a lot to preserve the integrity of the business by teaching as we're able and willing.

Granted, nobody wants to "train the competition" but similarly, we also don't want our industry to be driven out or weakened by too much risk or uncertainty in the field.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/27/12 10:51am
Msg #428281

Gawd, I wish I knew everything...learning something new everyday. Guess as long as I can connect the dots, I'll still be learning something new every day.

I know, this can be a terribly brutal environment. Gotta let it slide like water off a duck's back.

Some people get up on the wrong side of the bed.

One thing I learned a long time ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/27/12 4:24pm
Msg #428356

and sometimes Altitude helps too

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/27/12 11:31am
Msg #428289

No. However, I didn't ask anyone to provide the

basic answers to me.

It stood to reason to me from Day #1 that if I read the board from cover to cover (no search button back then) I might learn something on my own and be a big girl who could do things for herself. It was my hope that I might become a respected contributor to this community rather than a user of the members of the board who asked for something, got mad if the answer was not what I wanted to hear, and did not give back.

It's kind of like schlepping into work when you don't feel great...you do that so that you don't become known as a slacker . . . you know that one of the kids might get sick and you will HAVE to take off. You save up your "chips" and cash them in when you really need something...pay your dues and people are more than happy to cover for you and throw in a few chips of their own to help you through a situation.

Others, however, see this differently. I think we are all entitled to have different views about this.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 7/27/12 12:14pm
Msg #428301

I learned everything!!!

But then everything changed, so I'm learning again Smile

Reply by MW/VA on 7/27/12 1:47pm
Msg #428327

No. I still don't know everything & don't pretend to.

I've learned a lot along the way, including warning newbies not to go out on a signing until they know what they're doing. I quickly learned that I needed to study, get some training, and then take it from there. Fortunately, I have a business background & picked it up pretty quickly. The main reason I've participated at NR is to learn & I learn something new everyday from the seasoned & experienced people here who are willing to share their expertise.
Paul Williamson (PAW) is missed, because he was a great mentor to all of us. :-)

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/27/12 4:03pm
Msg #428349

CJ - I think that this thread is missing a point.

Perhaps this poster makes posts of this nature for the purpose of getting attention. I cannot figure out why he/she would do it otherwise. I have now hunted down the thread in question to figure out why we are parsing through this topic. It went like this.

Xxx asks a question that most people who have done NSA work for a month or so understands fairly well.

Phillip answers Xxx's question with the answer of the dates and then says, "How long have you been in this business?"

The following response is the nastiest response in the thread and it comes from the OP:

==================

Re: 27,28,30 July
Posted by xxx/XX on 7/27/12 10:02am Msg #xxxxxxx
A long time and the EOM is not consistent
I suppose it makes you feel important to be so condescending

==================

After seeing similar posts and retorts for several years from the same poster and seeing he/she asking a very elementary question... and that he/she gives ugly retorts because of a "How many years have you been doing this??" response I cannot understand why Phillip is the bad sarcastic guy here.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/27/12 4:15pm
Msg #428352

I agree with Brenda...

My problem wasn't so much with the post but that fact that this OP advertises as having 10 years experience in this field....really? That's why *I* was flabbergasted.

And as Brenda said - it's not the first time. Search here and see for yourself.

Of course, it's possible it was a hypothetical question....IDK

Reply by MW/VA on 7/27/12 8:19pm
Msg #428390

Frankly, I can't understand how anyone has time at EOM

to take a survey. :-) LOL

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.