Notary Rotary
Quickbooks Alert
Notary Discussion History

Quickbooks Alert
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by JENNY/TX on 7/30/12 11:02pm
Msg #428735

Quickbooks Alert

I didn't want to hijack the Quicken thread below.

I tried to open my Quickbooks today and got an error msg. When I called Quickbooks I was told that they could fix the problem if I upgraded\updated for just $12.95 per month. Quickbooks obviously has a kill switch in the program. Quickbooks is holding my files hostage until I buy the subscription that you now have to have on all Quickbook products. I went to Staples and bought the software that included 1 year subscription so that I can access my files. I will be looking for a new way to do my bookkeeping in the next few months. I call what Quickbooks is doing extortion (in my humble opinion).

Reply by CJ on 7/30/12 11:12pm
Msg #428737

I had a similar problem. When I started doing this 12 years ago, I did my accounting on a basic Quicken program. I use the check registry and put the borrower's name in the "check number" spot. Recently, it would not download my bank accounts, and I learned it had planned obsolecence (?) and I HAD to upgrade to get my bank accounts. So I paid the $50 to upgrade, and in the new version, they eliminated the "check number" column on my notary account. It took me 1 1/2 hours to figure out how to fix that. Basically, I had to create a new notary account as a "checking account", then cut and paste all of my 2012 transactions over to it. Then the borrower's name shows up again. Very, VERY upsetting. 1 1/2 hours I could have spend doing accounting, instead WASTED pulling my hair out over their stupid "improvements".

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/30/12 11:17pm
Msg #428738

I wouldn't mind a one time upgrade but Quickbooks is charging $12.95 per month after you purchase the software\upgrade.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/30/12 11:47pm
Msg #428741

are you sure that you are paying for quickbooks it's self or the quickbooks support plan? Quickboks is sand alone. Support from them costs $$ if you have a problem. I would say find the quickbooks forum and ask how to fix it and not pay for the support

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/30/12 11:54pm
Msg #428743

Stand Alone......

Reply by John Tennant on 7/31/12 12:12am
Msg #428747

I have had Quickbooks since 2007 when I became a Pro Advisor. I do not upgrade. I am limited in what I can do in that I cannot automatically send invoices or work with bank products. I am able to do all of the bookkeeping procedures, run all of the reports, and monitor each division of my business. This works for me since I do not want on line banking or any other of those procedures that would allow a hacker access.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/31/12 12:25am
Msg #428750

I've got the Quickbooks Pro 2009. And, same as John Tennant above. I did not upgrade earlier this year. Now, I cannot email invoices directly through QB as before. But, everything else is still available to me. For sending invoices, I simply scan and email or fax. No biggee.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/31/12 12:30am
Msg #428751

Yoli, in case you don't know: unless you need hard copy

invoice, you can save as pdf then email. no printing, no scanning.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/31/12 1:41pm
Msg #428817

Donna, did not know. That helps. Thanks! n/m

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/31/12 12:33am
Msg #428753

I didn't want support either. Didn't care about banking or email, but the whole program locked me out. Cannot uninstall or reinstall. Error message seems to be in the file qbregistration.dat.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/31/12 12:33am
Msg #428752

what version is your QB? I have 2010 and like others its is

stand alone. I do not buy their monthly services. I did sign up for a support subscription for a month to work out some bugs, then cancelled.
hope that works for you.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/31/12 8:26am
Msg #428761

I've run into this with my QB Simple Start. I upgraded once, but don't plan to do it again. I can't email invoices anymore. My biggest concern is that I'm getting "error" messages when I close out the program. I suspect that it's a MS issue, & that horrid "compatability issue". I refuse to buy into this forced need to purchase new software every couple of years. :-(

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/31/12 9:18am
Msg #428765

Jenny, what version are you running?

I've got 2011, and have had no problems like that.

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/31/12 10:58am
Msg #428788

Re: Jenny, what version are you running?

I have 2009 Simple Start. One other oddity is that Simple Start works fine on my home laptop but had the problem on my business laptop.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/31/12 3:42pm
Msg #428841

Jenny sounds like you are using the ONLINE version which

does have a subscription fee per month. You can access it from any computer, because it is online.

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/31/12 9:35pm
Msg #428892

Re: Jenny sounds like you are using the ONLINE version which

No, never had the online version. I think it has to do with downloading onto new computer since it still works on the old laptop.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.