Notary Rotary
Quickbooks question
Notary Discussion History

Quickbooks question
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 3:06pm
Msg #427430

Quickbooks question

I try to keep an eye on how much I've billed each month. I used to use the "sales graph" but I've discovered that this doesn't reflect all sales. (!) I change the date to show through the end of the month, but even that doesn't show everything--I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps I need to fill in a "shipped" date or something?

It seems the only way to do this is to print an "open invoices report" by dates, but if someone pays within the month--and most of my clients do--that invoice no longer shows.

Can someone enlighten me, what's the best way to get an accurate "sales this period" kind of report?

I'm sure this is something kind of obvious and dumb, but I'm stumped--I can get Quickbooks to do all kinds of cool things, but this is one spot I can't figure out.

Thanks in advance

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 3:10pm
Msg #427431

FWIW on monthly sales

The monthly sales graph is accurate in retrospect, just not in the current month--that's why I'm so confused. I've tried changing the date range to the end of the month, but that doesn't resolve it in the current period.

Reply by Teresa Kutz on 7/19/12 3:12pm
Msg #427432

I you have the same reports I do, then go to the reports section,
Company & Financial
Income by customer detail - by month

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 3:15pm
Msg #427433

That worked--you rock! Thanks so much!

I don't know how I missed that one. The reports features in QB are SHOCKING aren't they? There's one for everything!

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/19/12 3:28pm
Msg #427434

Jessica what version of quickbooks are you using? I use QB PRO 2007 and I use the customer tab, on the home page, where I can see customers (all or active, etc) and transactions. Under transcations, you can view open invoices, all invoices etc. as well as this week, last week, this month, last year, etc. many, options.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 11:25pm
Msg #427478

QBP 2011 n/m

Reply by Brian Gruss on 7/19/12 5:15pm
Msg #427447

Jessica et al,

I use Quickbooks for my Notary work as well as my insurance. What would probably be more of a helpful report is the profit and loss report (P/L). Sales don't really matter unless you are making money with them. Ie... I can sell notary work for a dollar, and do it all day long, but at the end of the day, I have actually lossed money on the day because my expenses out weigh what I brought in.

As long as your inputting expenses and sales, you would find this report under Reports > Company&Financial > Profit and Loss

I truly hope this helps.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 11:24pm
Msg #427477

Good point Brian

On a week-to-week basis, I watch sales volume, but typically have a pretty good idea of profitability in the back of my mind, since I do all of my purchasing, etc at one time at the end of the month based on the prior month's sales.

Just for my own personal goal-setting, I like seeing the sales this month compared to last month, or this time last year/two years ago, etc. It's very helpful to me when I need to "put some hustle on" or when I'm feeling like I'm too busy, and want to know if it's all in my head, or volume is just WAY TOO MUCH (I've had this problem recently). Seeing those sales numbers helps me give myself permission to take days off.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.