Notary Rotary
Quicken Home & Business 2007
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Joan Bergstrom on 7/29/12 7:06pm
Msg #428595

I looked at the 2012 version and I can't see much reason to update. Anyone have a 2012 version and did I miss an important update?

Also I was in Office Max and bought paper for $9.99 (letter size) with their rebate program.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/29/12 7:35pm
Msg #428597

I never updated - the updates were mostly online stuff - banking, credit card tracking etc etc

I use the program for all internal stuff and don't keep online records, so the program still does what I need it to do without updating (invoices, mileage, track expenses, etc).

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/29/12 10:06pm
Msg #428610

I use it the same way you do. I have to occasionally email back back an invoice and I don't have Outlook on this computer; is there another way to email an invoice back with Quicken?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/29/12 10:35pm
Msg #428617

Also, if you upgrade to Home & Business 2010 and above, you can't open the files with any version of Quick Books as in the past unless Quicken responded to all the complaints and rixed it since last April.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/29/12 11:54pm
Msg #428619

Thanks Glenn!

In the back of my mind I kinda remembered a problem one of my friends, who had an old Quickbooks, wound up spending 2 days ( around 8 hours total with someone in India) to fix her Quickbooks update problem and that is one of the reasons I didn't purchase Quicken Home & Business today, along with not seeing any updates I needed.

My 2007 looks real good!!
Thanks again.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/30/12 2:30am
Msg #428624

Re: Thanks Glenn!

I found out when I bought 2010. Oh well.

Reply by Mark/SanJose on 7/30/12 2:57pm
Msg #428665

If you use Turbo Tax to collect the data from Quicken for taxes it requires the Quicken to be fairly recent (last 2 years). It is there way of getting your update money.

Reply by Cathy/CA on 7/30/12 3:20pm
Msg #428667

There is no tech support for pre 2010 Quicken versions.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/30/12 9:41pm
Msg #428725

Thanks all

I will be keeping Quicken Home & Business 2007 forever!

Reply by CJ on 7/30/12 11:27pm
Msg #428739

I didn't see this post.

I responded to the more recent post, but I will repeat what I said up there.

I had Quicken 2009, and I am totally happy with it. I have been doing my books on Quicken since 2000, so, for whatever reason I needed to upgrade, I stayed with Quicken to keep all my my past accounting intact.

I recently opened my Quicken and I tried to download my bank statements, like I have been doing for years, and I get a pop-up that says Quicken no longer will do this and I MUST upgrade to quicken 2012. I had no choice, so I paid the $50 and did it, and it downloaded my bank accounts just fine.

BUT, I have been keeping my notary information on a "Notary Account" that I created. I treat each job as a transaction, and I put the borrower's name in the "check number" area. When I job is paid, I click "R" for reconciled, and I put the check number in the memo area. When I updated, the new quicken eliminated the "check number" columm, so now I can't see which jobs are for which borrowers. I realized I had set my notary account up as an "asset" account, and I guess quicken decided that I didn't need check numbers for my assets. It would not let me change the account type to "checking".

I finally (after 1/ 1/2 hours) figured out that I needed to create a NEW notary account, and make it a checking account, then I had to copy and past all my 2012 jobs into the new account. It was easy to do, but hard to figure out. (Copy: Edit>transacion>copy, Paste: edit>transaction>paste. To highlight multiple transactions, use "shift".)

But I was, and still am, upset. Making random changes is not an "improvement", and I really resent them hijacking my quicken and forcing me to buy a new one every few years.

Reply by Notary1/CO on 7/31/12 10:19am
Msg #428783

Re: Quicken Home & Business

I upgrade my Quicken Home & Business every few years by buying previous year software on eBay. Since 2012 is the current year, shop for 2011 software. I just checked, you can buy Quicken H&B 2011 for as low as $18.99 right now on eBay from a Top Rated seller.

I use PayPal for email invoicing and payment processing. I download my PayPal transactions into Quicken. PayPal also now offers PayPal Here, credit card swipe reader for smartphones.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.