Notary Rotary
Quiz time!
Notary Discussion History

Quiz time!
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/27/12 1:00pm
Msg #428313

Quiz time!

A notary buddy of mine went to some sort of loan signing confab the other day. Present was a lender/TC industry representative who posed this question (or something like it): "What is the No. 1 complaint LOs have about notaries?"

Conversely, what is the No. 1 complaint the lender rep said he hears from notaries about borrowers? And what was No. 2 complaint notaries had about borrowers? Hint: both complaints pertain to in-home signings.

Post your guesses.

(Answers to follow)

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 7/27/12 1:03pm
Msg #428316

My guesses:

No. 1 complaint LOs have about notaries: unprofessional, rude, or incompetent

No. 1 complaint about borrowers: unprepared
No. 2 complaint about borrowers: filthy house

Smile

Reply by Deborah Breedlove on 7/27/12 1:06pm
Msg #428317

Complaint LOs have about notaries? It could be notaries that don't explain docs, or notaries that do explain docs. Or both.

Complaints notaries have about borrowers? 1. Readers and/or arguers, 2. Filthy houses

Reply by Patriot on 7/27/12 1:09pm
Msg #428318

1: LOs that dislike NPs explaining docs/and NOT explaining docs
2: READERS!!!!!
3: Arrogant signers, who multi-task while signing loan docs. (put that cell phone down!!!)

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/27/12 1:21pm
Msg #428319

Needs to be a #4 question.

What is the most common complaint Notaries have about LO's??? I could go on and on but won't.

Really, MY only complaint about this entire process is not having more control and flexibility of the scheduled times of signings. Sometimes, they schedule these the minute the borrower walks in the door from work. I wish they would let US schedule within a timeframe of a couple hours, like the plumber, cable guy etc etc. We are a convenience to the borrowers and they need to be a little flexible too. There is NO other industry that gives customers a specific time. They are told between such and such and such and such and I'll be there as soon as I can. Period.

Reply by Notarized on 7/27/12 4:10pm
Msg #428350

I try to take charge of the 1/2 hour by directing and orchastrating people to their seat and explain their role in my process....not arrogantly, just assertively. idk if there's 3 LOs and an atty, and the signers themselves. I'm in and out and leave them to talk over whatever they need.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 7/27/12 1:24pm
Msg #428320

LO's complaint: Notaries don't confirm appointments with borrowers in a timely manner.

Notaries complaint: #1 Borrower's not ready for signing when notary arrives.

#2 Deed readers

Reply by sueharke on 7/27/12 1:33pm
Msg #428322

1. Explaining documents to signers/not explaining documents. LO don't understand that CA notaries are not allowed to explain documents as this is considered the practice of law.

2. First time buyers who do not understand the signing process and do not have someone who understand the documents to legally explain them in CA.

3. Expecting the notary to "practice law in CA" without a license by explaining documents.

Reply by doglover/CA on 7/27/12 4:59pm
Msg #428366

I once had a loan officer tell me over the phone that I was not doing my job by not explaining the documents. I responded by telling her that I was trying to be careful not to give legal advice- the borrowers were having trouble filling out a trust certificate. I almost wanted to say, "Why don't you do your own *%^&$ job!"

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/27/12 2:07pm
Msg #428328

OK, some answers

According to the industry rep, the biggest complaint they hear about us is the way we dress! And second complaint is pretty much what a few of you said: We can't explain docs (which is NOT our fault).

The biggest gripe they hear from notaries about borrowers is their DOGS! And second, messy houses, hoarders, sticky signing tables.

Reply by Deborah Breedlove on 7/27/12 2:12pm
Msg #428330

The way we dress?

I'm really surprised to hear that's their biggest complaint. Don't most notaries dress business casual, at least?

The LO was present at one of my signings yesterday. He was wearing khaki shorts, a t-shirt and sandals.

Reply by bfnotary on 7/27/12 9:19pm
Msg #428396

Re: The way we dress?

In my opinion, the only ones who dress at least business casual, are the ones who take their job seriously. I may be a newer signing agent/notary. I did hit my one year mark tho as a notary now. this month i did. Smile But I have heard several times, from borrowers, of how unprofessional (putting it lightly), the last notaries looked. I was speechless a couple times.

Btw, I am definately not one of the casual dress notaries, or worse than casual. Lol.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/27/12 2:20pm
Msg #428331

Maybe, maybe not

***According to the industry rep, the biggest complaint they hear about us***

Dollars to doughnuts that's just that particular LO's view of what he thinks are the biggest complaints about notaries. He may have had a couple of water cooler conversations with other LOs in HIS office, but I think it is highly unlikely his base of information goes beyond that. Dress is just his bag, and he wants to emphasize it.

In my case, I suspect the most frequent complaint from borrowers is that I try to sneak off with their children and/or their dogs.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/27/12 2:36pm
Msg #428333

Re: Maybe, maybe not

No, it's those candy pink pumps you wear and your non-coordinated notary tote bag. You probably don't even shave your legs!

In any case, I suspect he did have an agenda about out appearance. My observation about LOs is that most of them are dressed in their long-sleeved, gleaming white shirts with sparkling gold cuff links, expensive ties and the Mercedes parked outside. Talk about the circling Great White sharks! Ewwww.
And as far as Realtors - OMG! They all dress like 'hos, skanks or homeless people. Their hair is styled by weed whackers if they bother to do anything with it at all. Their skin looks like a Gallopogas turtle from spending all those summers in southern Mexico, sipping Margaritas, and spending their faaaat commissions (while trying to figure our ways to screw us out of our loan signing fees).

Reply by HisHughness on 7/27/12 2:40pm
Msg #428335

*** They all dress like 'hos, skanks or homeless people. Their hair is styled by weed whackers if they bother to do anything with it at all. Their skin looks like a Gallopogas turtle from spending all those summers in southern Mexico, sipping Margaritas, and spending their faaaat commissions (while trying to figure our ways to screw us out of our loan signing fees).***

GG, I yield whatever pretensions I have to being a wordsmith to the master ... well, the mistressxxxx. Okay, to somebody better'n me.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 7/27/12 3:01pm
Msg #428338

"And as far as Realtors - OMG! They all dress like 'hos, skanks or homeless people. Their hair is styled by weed whackers if they bother to do anything with it at all. Their skin looks like a Gallopogas turtle from spending all those summers in southern Mexico, sipping Margaritas, and spending their faaaat commissions (while trying to figure our ways to screw us out of our loan signing fees)."

Maybe you're dealing with the wrong class of Realtors. As a former Realtor, I can assure you that any reputable broker would bounce an agent like that out the door so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

And the commissions ain't so "faaaat" after you're done splitting them 4 ways. A 6% commission (if the listing agent can get it) translates to maybe 1.5% or less in his or her pocket when the dust settles - and that's before expenses.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/27/12 3:53pm
Msg #428347

You're right, Mike!

I have been dealing with the wrong class of Realtors. My introduction to the "wrong class" came when I first started out. I busted my patootie to print docs, rush through horrendous traffic, etc., etc. all to meet the purchaser's stringent time sked. Got to signing location, walk in, phone rings. It's his Realtor telling me she couldn't possibly subject her poor borrower to my outrageous notary fee (which I didn't set) and ordered me to deliver the docs to his CU where he would sign the next day "for free."
Since then, it's pretty much been an endless cycle of the same thing: Realtors complaining in front of me and the borrowers about my fees (I have no control over how much they're charged, as we all know); showing up 30-40 minutes late and then complaining that we started without them; hijacking the signing with comments like "I've never seen that doc before!" when it's been in every single loan pkg since the Ice Age; snickering when I deliver the oath for an aff/jurat ("Nobody has every done that before!"Snicker snicker some more); prattling throughout the signing about what I call "The 3 Cs": curtains, carpets and countertops with no regard for the fact I'm tryng to conduct a loan signing; demanding to see the docs (none of their biz); wanting to copy all the docs (for their files!); meanwhile looking like they just came in from a two-day jet ski party. OK, I'll stop although I would love to go on about my personal experiences. OK, one more: One of told me I was not to enter the room but wait outside at the little girl's table while he conducted the signing "in private" and then he woud bring the docs to me to notarize. And then there are the stories about Realtors who make up any kind of lie they can to get a "freebie" out of the SS or FHA. I know this cos the owner of a big SS used to fill me in on all their outrageus pranks.

However, I'm sure you weren't among them. This is probably a CA thing!

Reply by MikeC/TX on 7/27/12 5:09pm
Msg #428371

Re: You're right, Mike!

It may be a CA thing - I can tell you that it wasn't that way in NY, and agents like that would not be tolerated by a reputable broker (not that all brokers are reputable). I don't know what the rules are in CA, but in NY you can't even use your license unless a broker sponsors you, and the broker is then responsible for your actions.

You may be dealing with a bunch of freelance idiots; not all real estate agents are Realtors, but all Realtors are members of the NAR and "Realtor" is NOT a generic term for real estate agent - it's a trademark of the NAR that is only supposed to be used by members of the NAR. There is a code of ethics that must be followed, and there are heavy fines to both agent and broker for violations.

Also, in the part of NY where I worked, agents were allowed at the closing table (sometimes) but were expected to keep their mouths shut - the attorneys did all the heavy lifting. The notary involved was also a direct representative of the title company and had a greater responsibility in the process than NSAs who do purchase closings in other states.

The point is - don't paint all of us with the same brush just because you've had bad experiences with real estate agents in your area or because your state doesn't exercise any control over them. Not every real estate agent (or Realtor) is like the bottom-feeding people you've been dealing with.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/28/12 4:20am
Msg #428425

Agree, Mike! Not in my neighborhood, either! n/m

Reply by doglover/CA on 7/27/12 5:05pm
Msg #428369

I'm fortunate to have never experienced the kind of things you folks have been describing at signings where a realtor is present. The realtors I have encountered were very professional and had none of this rude, ill-mannered behavior described in this thread. One even entertained the borrower's non-borrowing husband whenever he didn't have anything to sign.

Reply by jnew on 7/27/12 5:15pm
Msg #428372

Very educational. Note to self: no more pink pumps and uncoordinated tote bags

Reply by Jessc098 on 7/27/12 2:44pm
Msg #428337

Hoarders and cat houses! **achoo!!**

I've got a pretty good tolerance for uncomfortable signing locations, but I draw the line at hoarders and LOTS of cats.

If I walk in the house and my first thought is "a cat lives here." I panic.

I have a mild cat allergy (I have two cats--and maintain a reasonable level of sanitation, so it doesn't bother me, but a dirty house and cats can give me a three day headache, so I keep a $20 in my briefcase, and occasoinally will explain that I've got a cat allergy, and will gladly buy coffee at the local coffeeshop.

Reply by SharonMN on 7/27/12 3:24pm
Msg #428343

Complaint notary has about borrowers: Doesn't have proper ID.
Complaint LO has about notaries: Won't notarize documents when the borrower doesn't have proper ID.

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/27/12 9:21pm
Msg #428397

Re: I'm going to start wearing my Tux n/m

Reply by doglover/CA on 7/28/12 9:47pm
Msg #428504

1. Appointments are set up by the lender without conferring with the borrowers. A number of times when I confirm appointments with borrowers, they will tell me they cannot keep the appointment as it stands because the lender arbitrarily sets it up with no consideration regarding their personal schedules, even if they have clearly indicated they can only sign at certain days and times.

2. Some borrowers demand that I push back an existing appointment in my schedule to accommodate them if it is a last-minute "open time" signing. What if the other people have a tight schedule and thus not flexible?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.