Notary Rotary
Stamp
Notary Discussion History

Stamp
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Mobile_CA on 7/2/12 11:51pm
Msg #425421

Stamp

My notary commission expires July 3, 2012, what is the last day i can use my "July 3, 2012 ". Is it midnight of July 3, 2012 or can I start using my new stamp under my new commission number?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/3/12 12:06am
Msg #425423

Yes, stick with the existing one until it expires.

Your new stamp/commission isn't in effect until the next day.

Reply by Mobile_CA on 7/3/12 12:38am
Msg #425424

Re: Yes, stick with the existing one until it expires.

Thank you JanetK

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/3/12 1:52am
Msg #425425

Re: Yes, stick with the existing one until it expires.

Janet's right. Absolutely do not use your new seal until the first day of the new term. Even though your seal only has an expiration date, your commission number is there and it has a start and end date. If you use the seal outside of your actual commissioned dates, you're asking for trouble.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 7/3/12 9:54am
Msg #425446

As in most cases, it depends on your state of commission.

My commission ends on the same calendar day that the renewed commission commences.
Accordingly , I can use either stamp and date of expiration on that date.
I use the new one, so as to prclude any question os the expiration on the date of the notarization.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/3/12 11:14am
Msg #425455

The notary bond

Your bond (which protects the public) is only valid for the commission period. The new commission (bond) only covers that range - July 4, 2012 - July 3, 2016. It it not valid on July 3rd. Therefore, you must use the current stamp so the bond for the commission of July 4, 2008 - July 3, 2012 is in force.

Explain to the customer that the notarization is still valid because your stamp is current as of the date of the notarization. Make sure you are not notarizing documents headed to a foreign country. While the notarization is valid, as mentioned, the receiving country will reject it. They want (and expect) at least 1 - 2 years before the stamp expires.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/4/12 3:24am
Msg #425534

Re: The notary bond

Lisa, I think that's going to vary from country to country. I know that is true for some countries, but I doubt it's true everywhere - especially countries who are members of the Hague thingy (sorry - it's been a very long day), where an Apostille may be an option.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.