Notary Rotary
The borrower saved my bacon.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by CJ on 7/10/12 11:23pm
Msg #426340

My car was acting up this morning, so I drove by my husband's work and he put some duct tape and a hose clamp on the problem until he could get a new radiator later in the day. (He is a body-guy, not an engine guy).

I went to my first afternoon job (I had four lined up) and as soon as I got to the borrower's house, the micky-mouse fix came undone and radiator fluid was all over the ground. I knew I was stranded. I called my husband, but he was not able to come and get me (plus I'm unable to drive his car: it is a '62 Falcon with the stick-shift on the steering wheel. He has tried to teach me, but I can't get it.)

I said outloud that I just needed to get to a car-rental place. The borrower said after the signing, he would drive me to the car-rental place, and he did! They signed quickly, he took me to the car-rental place, I got the new car in 10 minutes, and I was even early to my next appointment! He said my car would be safe at his house (it's a good neighborhood), and my husband and I can sort it out in the morning. Thank you kind borrower! Smile

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/11/12 12:34am
Msg #426344

Bake them cookies!!!

Reply by ikando on 7/11/12 7:04am
Msg #426348

This is the GOOD side of this business. Kinda makes up for the difficult signers.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/11/12 7:53am
Msg #426350

I had just had tires put on my trailblazer before an appt. The spare tire that rides underneath the rear fell down as I was pulling into the borrowers driveway. I didn't know what the heck it was. Made a loud noise and dragging on the ground. The borrower got his tools out and tightened it back up there for me. I was ever so grateful. Yes, their are great people out there and I'm glad I get to meet some of them.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/11/12 7:57am
Msg #426351

On two occasions, due to lateness and to distance from my home, I was invited, no requested to spend the night. Weather conditions, etc. Once I ended up in a guest room at a ski chalet second home in Frazier Park and then in the mountains of Santa Barbara.

Nicest people out there.

THEN, there at the difficult clients...if I could assess a DICK fee, they would get it. Just difficult and egocentric, all about them, mean spirited AHs. How do they get away with it. Don't they realize what goes around comes around?

I'm glad you hit on a nice client, CJ. They aren't that rare but the idiots we run into cause you to stop and think, how much longer can I keep doing this business and having to serve these rude dudes.

I could have implemented my dick fee yesterday, two out of five clients.

Reply by janCA on 7/11/12 8:35am
Msg #426353

LOL, Cheryl, you just made my day! n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 7/11/12 9:25am
Msg #426354

***THEN, there [are] the difficult clients...if I could assess a DICK fee, they would get it.***

And if the jerk is female, what penalty do you assess?

Reply by 101livescan on 7/11/12 9:54am
Msg #426355

A convenient Dickless fee of course!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/11/12 3:00pm
Msg #426415

Made my day, too. Smile And I feel your pain! I've had a couple of those recently, too. Would have made it much more tolerable if I'd been thinking of your comment at the time. At least I could have sat there and chuckled to myself while putting up with them...

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/11/12 11:47am
Msg #426384

Hugh's just ticked, Cheryl, ....

... cos no borrower has ever asked him to spend the night!

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/11/12 11:49am
Msg #426385

Re: Hugh's just ticked, Cheryl, ....

I don't think his wives did either

Reply by bfnotary on 7/11/12 10:08am
Msg #426359

I have been pretty fortunate not to come across anyone that was that bad. I have had a few that had a slight attitude at first, but I changed that, and they ended up being very pleasant. Alot of these people by the time they meet with us, they are pretty fed up with the whole process. Anyways, I hope you run into less arrogant people. I so far have been pretty fortunate in that aspect.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/11/12 10:18am
Msg #426362

You are so right BF...they are over it. The poor notary person is the only face-to-face they have often, and they are highly agitated. The very worst of them can't wait to take it out on us when we show up.

I had two Quicken loans last week. Settlement agent failed to set up signing appt with me, but borrowers were expecting me. I never showed. You think I didn't hear about it the next day.

Good grief! The back end of Quicken was the snarl. Not getting word out to SA, but calling the borrower to say "when would you like the notary to come out?"

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/11/12 11:28am
Msg #426378

Wow, Cheryl...YOU were a no-show??

Goes to show it's not always the notary's fault, huh??

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/11/12 3:17pm
Msg #426417

Exactly. I had one of those characters last week. Before I got there, I thought it was going to be a breeze of a signing - lender w/relatively short, easy package and BOs who were leaving town early the next morning. Docs arrived late and borrower was caught in traffic and running late, so I switched appointment times with another one - thank goodness! The property was in a trust - naturally - and there were several title docs to complete.

Mr. Borrower kept complaining over and over about how they should have sent these to him in advance and instead of buckling down and focusing, he just kept complaining . On the SOI, which I told him had to be completely filled out, he asked me on every line "Do I fill this out?" Plus, he wanted to read everything, even though there was an RTC and I reminded him of that several times. (Guess he figured he'd be unavailable during those days.) And he complained all along about how bad everyone was that he dealt with.

Must have been ADHD... His wife was very nice and I felt sorry for her. At the end, he commented that he spent more time with me than with anyone else he talked with since the beginning of the whole process. (I was thinking that it didn't have to be that way - but maybe there was a reason they didn't want to talk to him...) At least he apologized at the end for complaining so much.

Reply by ananotary on 7/11/12 1:04pm
Msg #426395

I learned the hard way not to park downhill on an low fuel

tank. I was going to call triple A and the borrowers said no, drove me to the gas station and put the gas in my tank. Awesome people!

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/11/12 6:09pm
Msg #426449

Re: I learned the hard way not to park downhill on an low fuel

What happens when you park downhill on low fuel? And how low is low? 1/16th of a tank? 1/8th? This is new to me.

Reply by ananotary on 7/11/12 7:17pm
Msg #426462

Hi Lisa, I see that you are in Upland. I was in West Covina

in a very hilly area. My fuel light was not on but it was probably going to be on very soon. I parked thinking "no prob, light isn't on" came out and the car would not start! It was night time and the borrowers heard my car spitting and trying to turn on. I drive a older Honda Accord to my notary signings. Not sure if that makes a difference. Put it this way..I now make sure I am not on almost empty when I park on a hill.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/11/12 7:25pm
Msg #426465

I would think that the real lesson is not to be out at night

without a full tank - at least 1/2 or better. So many of us are older and/or female and we should not even be buying gas at night in many areas. It really does leave you more vulnerable in the dark.

JMHO

Reply by ananotary on 7/11/12 7:34pm
Msg #426466

I see what you mean and that is probably a good idea

This was winter time and it was 7:00 or so not a late night at all. I've never felt uncomfortable fueling up at that hour but can see how that could be a problem in some areas.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/12/12 7:03am
Msg #426505

let me amend that for clarity: after twilight even n/m

Reply by ananotary on 7/12/12 11:52am
Msg #426515

Didn't need clairty. I understood what you said. Just not

too worried about fueling up after dark.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.