Notary Rotary
Thumbtack for GNW?
Notary Discussion History

Thumbtack for GNW?
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 7/3/12 12:10pm
Msg #425473

Thumbtack for GNW?

Does anyone else get regular messages from Thumbtack.com requesting notary services? Individuals basically put their needs up for bid "I need someone to take a tree out of my yard" or "I need a notary on Tuesday for my grandmother's will..."

It's a pay-by-referral business, unless you subscribe.

I don't do a whole lot of GNW, because I'd rather be booking my hours with loan closings and I don't have an office location.

(Nobody wants to pay for the travel, they'd rather come get signed at odd hours at my home for the state max fee $10, which quite frankly isn't enough to let some stranger into my house at all hours of the day and night to sign a document. I'll pay money not to have that risk--which is why I buy an alarm service!)

anyhow, just wondering if anyone is subscribing to the service, and if it has penciled out to be worth it? I've never seen a request for a loan signing through there. Just general work.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/3/12 12:21pm
Msg #425476

I'm on Thumbtack and I do get regular calls requesting service. They put you through a screening process, verify your commission, etc. It's not difficult, though.

I've never received or responded to their bid system, though. I've never been asked to pay...and I've received several requests for service from them. Most people just call me and say they saw my profile on Thumbtack and called since my phone number is right there under my photo.

Reply by BestFlCloser on 7/3/12 12:27pm
Msg #425479

I recently got an email from them, responded and was charged to bid, $1.95, to put in a bid. My price was fair for traveling and notarizing papers. There were several emails back and forth, but the job went to someone else. I don't think I'll spend the money again.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/3/12 1:18pm
Msg #425483

Maybe that's what I need to do

I don't recall ever setting up a profile, but I would do that for free. I'd rather not hassle with the scheduling and multiple follow up calls etc on these appointments since I focus mostly on loans.

Reply by reba on 7/3/12 12:27pm
Msg #425478

I have been listed on Thumbtack for about 5 months (free), but have not received any inquiries. I agree with you that most people do not want to incur the travel fees, but that is with most mobile GNW inquiries--an issue not due to Thumbtack. IMO Thumbtack is not widely known as a resource for finding services yet. The concept of "bidding" may not have caught on to the mainstream market yet and personally I believe they have not advertised enough. When I have mentioned Thumbtack amongs friends , most (here in NY) have never heard of it. I think that given time, Thumback may be another way option to market our services. Although Im not sure I would want to be a part of the "bidding" process. My price, is my price, is my price for my services :-) At very least I think its a good "free" option to advertise.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/3/12 12:45pm
Msg #425481

What I find odd is that if they want to encourage bidding... why do they let us put our phone numbers on our profiles? Everyone that reaches me through there just picks up the phone, bypassing their bidding system altogether.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/3/12 4:07pm
Msg #425494

I was signed up for Thumbtack. I'd get an email notice that someone was requesting notary services. At first, you could pay a small fee upfront for the inquiry OR a percentage of the fee you'd charge the customer AFTER the deal. That was at first.......then TT started requiring the fee upfront, no matter what.

Sorry, but I don't pay for "inquiries".....too many variables.....the caller/customer may not have current, gov't issued ID, expect the notary to provide the document, needs an appt at a time my schedule is booked, or just has questions....all of these issues need adressing before the appt, and certainly before I pay TT a fee.

I don't have travel fee issues. Those that don't want to pay the travel fee ask where we can meet so they can save the travel fee - there's both a Starbucks and McDonalds 5 mins from my home.

But as far as TT goes, I've asked them to remove my listing.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/3/12 10:39pm
Msg #425524

I have a profile on Thumbtack, I just ignore the leads that want me to pay, occassionally, like Marion says, the clients will often call direct or email me directly. I have no intention of paying for leads of any kind.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/4/12 1:43am
Msg #425532

I've received the occasional email from them trying to entice me with a potential GNW assignment, but all of them have been for areas way too distant for me to even think about traveling to - and areas where there are hundreds - if not thousands - of other notaries (like Los Angeles).

I'm getting plenty of other calls nearby, with some people happy to pay a travel fee for the convenience.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.