Notary Rotary
Unused Docs
Notary Discussion History

Unused Docs
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Shoshana/AZ on 7/28/12 10:59am
Msg #428445

Unused Docs

Someone told me recently that if a signing cancels and the docs are already printed, to be GLBA compliant, we are supposed to send the docs back. Does anyone else do this?

Reply by Deborah Breedlove on 7/28/12 11:16am
Msg #428448

I don't send them back unless specifically instructed. Otherwise, I put them in my shred pile.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/28/12 11:24am
Msg #428449

Same as Deborah. n/m

Reply by Barb25 on 7/28/12 11:53am
Msg #428452

Google search: Notary responsibility for glba compliance.

There is a link for a Notary Rotary PDF file "Information Stewardship and Awareness..."
Download it. It is a training program. It is a GLBA training module covering all of this and more by Notary Rotary. I don't know if you can put an attachment on here but you can download it yourself if you like or read it online. Pages 2,3 and 4 I think cover this.

Interesting.

BTW anybody know if you can attach a file here?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/28/12 12:16pm
Msg #428455

Barb, the PDF file is clickable from the NotRot main page:

http://www.notaryrotary.com/library/retrievedocument.asp?document=GLBA-Notary-Compliance-Training.pdf

Reply by Barb25 on 7/28/12 12:31pm
Msg #428457

Aha. leave it me to complicate things. LOL n/m

Reply by OR on 7/28/12 12:06pm
Msg #428453

I never have been told to return unsigned docs per GLBA. I have been told many times to shred the docs myself. I see it as a direct violation of the GLBA. Here's why.....

The borrowers are the ejector of the docs....... Title and/or the LO has excepted the rejection. In a Loan package there are closing instructions, correction agreements and review forms. When signed it gives a title person the right to view and close a loan using the information in the package. Key Word "when signed" If docs were unsigned then the borrowers has not given their permission for any one to view there information or the docs. Title would have to put a rejection and destruction form in the package before they could be sent to another person for destruction. I have never seen one in any of the packages I have gotten. I have always said " it is my job to destroy the package for you all the papers will be shredded when I get back to my office." The borrowers have always said OK. Thus giving me permission to destroy there information not any one else. my 2cents

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/28/12 12:13pm
Msg #428454

It depends on the privacy policy of the lender/TC...

What a lot of people don't realize is that "GLBA Compliance" isn't a specific set of rules that apply to everyone. It requires companies to create their own privacy policies and procedures. There are certain provision that everyone needs to comply with, but they are more general.

For example, there is no government provision in the GLBA that requires background checks... but institutions may implement it in their own policies. Of course, if the lender is FDIC insured, then FDIC requires it of employees... but it is NOT a GLBA requirement.

If a particular lender or TC requires the unsigned docs be returned to them for destruction, then they need to make you aware of it, and pay for it. It certainly is not anything specifically covered by the GLBA.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/28/12 4:15pm
Msg #428471

Re: It depends on the privacy policy of the lender/TC...

Send the docs back if so instructed or destroy them

Reply by Art_PA on 7/28/12 5:23pm
Msg #428475

Why waste your time shredding documents? If you printed 2 sets that can be over 200 pages. I send them back with the next job done for the company.

Reply by OR on 7/29/12 12:46am
Msg #428510

Re: I have a shredding service that comes to me.

Just like the banks and other business. I have a locked can that sets inside of my garage. I take it out when the service comes. They dump it in a shredding truck. The whole process takes about 15 seconds and its done. No one sees or handles anything the lid stays shut until the the can is lifted up and dumped by the truck. It is like a garbage truck. Cost $30.00 and comes ones every 2 months. It is much cheeper then a shredding machine. Faster then I can do the shredding my self. Safe for eveyone. Just me.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/29/12 12:46pm
Msg #428563

What's the name of the shredding service you use?

I'm looking for a home/business service. In the meantime, I have a locked file drawer, that everything goes into, then when it is full, I box it up and take it to the shredding shop around the corner for about $7 a banker's box.

Reply by OR on 7/29/12 1:45pm
Msg #428570

Re: What's the name of the shredding service you use?

mind is Rogue Shred. It is part of our garbage service.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.