Notary Rotary
Update on Printing Docs W/O Internet
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by kcg on 7/6/12 12:31pm
Msg #425756

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else has this issue. My internet went out last week with docs on the way. I was able to take a USB storage drive to another computer and download to it...brought it home and printed my docs. Easy as pie, thanks to help on here.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/6/12 1:04pm
Msg #425759

You are one smart cookie!

I'd never have thought of that!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/6/12 1:34pm
Msg #425762

Another alternative

My internet was out for 4 hours yesterday with docs on the way.

I used my iPhone to create a wireless hotspot in my house, connected my computer to that, and downloaded/printed that way.

It was slower than my cable connection, but worked fine.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/6/12 1:43pm
Msg #425763

Be aware that Jessica has also used a spoon ...

... a roll of duct tape, and half a box of staples to add an extension to her garage, and has been known to rebore the block on her SUV with a Swiss Army knife.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/6/12 1:53pm
Msg #425766

LOL - Jessica is extremely resourceful. n/m

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/6/12 3:02pm
Msg #425769

Lots of iPhone users don't realize that feature exists

So I want to spread the word. It can be a real lifesaver! (And can replace your air-card, so no sense in paying for both!)

To start a hotspot, go to "utilities" >> "settings" >> "Personal Hotspot" slide the slider to "on" and then use the passcode provided below when you log in from your computer.

Hugh, you crack me up. I'm sitting here doing my end of the month reports and running Macgyver reruns in the background. Smile

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/6/12 3:16pm
Msg #425770

Can you do that with a droid? n/m

Reply by BestFlCloser on 7/6/12 3:25pm
Msg #425772

Re: Can you do that with a droid?

Yes you can. You can tether the unit and use it as a hot spot.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/6/12 3:28pm
Msg #425773

Forgive my ignorance, but....

How does one tether it and to what?
TIA

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/6/12 8:40pm
Msg #425830

Yes--instructions for android attached.

I did some searching, and apparently, yes you can do this with android.

Here's a link--appears to be done by a kid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDTyXo47Coo

I used to use a blackberry which tethered--literally a cable from my phone to my computer but it was a hassle and I had to pay an additional $19.95 a month and was really hard on my battery.

I notice slightly increased battery draw on the iphone, and there's no funny cables required.

Jessica

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 7/6/12 4:44pm
Msg #425784

Simply adorable, Jessica..... n/m

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 7:38pm
Msg #425812

Simply adorable, Jessica.....

Too funny! I thought that Jules comment about her being "resourceful" was spot on too!

Jessica is certainly more than your normal everyday Notary. After all, I most definitely would NEVER go down to South America (is that where it was?) and dig ditches or whatever she did!! lol

Wasn't that you Jessica?

Reply by HisHughness on 7/6/12 8:00pm
Msg #425818

It was Africa

And she didn't dig ditches.

She led an archeological dig that uncovered the remains of an ancient African city that pre-dates the Pyramids and apparently served as the pattern for the layout of Savanah, GA, thus establishing an African presence in North America some 6,000 years ago. One of the buildings excavated -- discovered by a Jessica mentee named Clovis Finglebarton -- was a bar that was identical in every respect to the Tavern on the Green in downtown Savanah. That architectural framework has since then come to be known as the Clovis Joint.

Even Jessica's interns get around.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/6/12 8:37pm
Msg #425828

Oh good grief Hugh!

I was in Ethiopia and South Sudan.

I built water filters and patched up soccer injuries, and "doctored" babies with ear infections (baby Tylenol). Nobody in that village has ever or will ever (likely) see a hospital. The next good one is 3 days 'drive away and a car hadn't been to that village since 1984, and hasn't had a road since the war broke out later that year.

They called me "American Girl Doctor" I had to correct them to "American Girl Daughter of a Paramedic." Smile Oy vey!

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 9:00pm
Msg #425832

See, I knew it was South something...I remembered

because I thought then, ain't no way in HAIL I would ever want to or have a desire to go out and dig ANYTHING! OMG, and where you had to sleep. Ugh, my idea of camping is in a customized van.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. If it came down to it, I'd do what I needed to do. And if you needed me, I would do everything in my power to help. But I just hope I never have to be put in a position to make that choice...lol

You were my hero then and you are my hero now! I admire you and thank you for being there for those less fortunate.

We don't realize how lucky we are or how good we have it until we hear about people like you who actually give of yourself so selflessly, Jessica!

It's very admirable, and I for one, admire the hail out of you! xo

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/6/12 9:14pm
Msg #425833

off topic...sound bites

"something...I remembered" "in a customized van" "I'd do what I needed to do" "if you needed me" " put in a position" "thank you for being there" " xo" OH MY!

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 9:18pm
Msg #425834

Clem were you a tabloid magazine reporter?

You're good at manipulating words...

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/6/12 9:25pm
Msg #425835

Re: Clem were you a tabloid magazine reporter?

still rotflmao..... nope just a goober having fun in life. no offence intended.. You would know it when I was serious....

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 10:00pm
Msg #425846

no offense taken..hey, I can be a goober too! Don't

think you hold the market on THAT title.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/6/12 9:57pm
Msg #425844

Nah, Not selfless n/m

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/6/12 9:59pm
Msg #425845

Re: Nah, Not selfless--I just like an adventure

It's cheaper than a real vacation, and more rewarding!

Reply by jba/fl on 7/7/12 11:38am
Msg #425891

"my idea of camping is in a customized van."

A bit lower expectations than I used to have. My idea of camping was a hotel without room service.

Then I discovered that my new kayaking friends were having more fun than I and to join in I would have to camp. I started sleeping in my car, then decided that tents with a great mattress was much better. I like to think I have evolved to a higher order.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/7/12 11:29am
Msg #425890

Re: Oh good grief Jessica -

Your myth precedes you and is so much more interesting. Just go with the flow - think of those stories for the kids and grandkids, on through many generations. Your branch of the tree is bending well....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.