Notary Rotary
Used drums?
Notary Discussion History

Used drums?
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/29/12 5:47pm
Msg #428593

Used drums?

Did a search and nothing came up so it's probably a "stupid question," but does anybody take/want old Brother drums to refurbish? We all refill or return old toner cartridges for $$ at Staples or wherever, but I've never heard of anybody wanting wornout drums. I got alot of plastic piled up here in old drums. Maybe just toss them in recycle bucket? Thanks!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/29/12 5:58pm
Msg #428594

Do you mean drums or toner cartridges?

You sure you don't just mean empty toner cartridges? Personally, I refill my own, but there are several aftermarket re-manufactures that you might check with to see if they will give you credit if you buy from them.

Can't imagine you would have that many drums since I just keep resetting the light until the printing degrades and get 150,000 or more sheets on a drum.

Here is the brother link to recycle: http://www.brother-usa.com/environment/#.UBW-4ZGurAk

If you don't want to do that, then Staples (at least our local one) takes everything.

Reply by Sharon Spence on 7/29/12 7:58pm
Msg #428599

Re: Do you mean drums or toner cartridges?

Yes, I meant drums. I have the original, which went completely kaput after a few months and Brother refused to honor the warranty (I hate Brother!). So Brother Owner told me about SurperMediaStore that had a sale on replacements. I bought a couple pretty cheap but they're good for only about 2-3 toner replacements. I clean them but still .... clearly I'm doing something wrong. I'll try resetting the light if can figure out ohow.

This particularly Brother is driving me nuts. Besides the drum issue it would refuse to print, saying low toner, when there was a ton of toner left. I finally figured out how to stop that scam.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 7/29/12 10:33pm
Msg #428615

Well, I do find that people either hate or love Brother printers. Both my brother printers, 3140 and a 5150 I have had since 2004 and they probably have a million pages each on them as I have used them for many other projects besides this business. One thing I do each time I change a toner cartridge is take the printer out to the garage and blow it out with compressed air, and clean the rollers and paper trays. The printers are also up high so nothing can fall in them and damage them while running. If you ever lost a paper clip in your printer, then it could be the cause of your printer and you might as well replace it.

How you reset the lights is in the documentation that came with the printer. You can also probably find it by just asking Google the question and on the Brother website. It varies with model number. Good Luck

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/12 12:29pm
Msg #428647

Wow. Something is definitely wrong if you're needing to

replace the drum that often. What model is it?

Reply by Sharon Spence on 7/30/12 1:16pm
Msg #428651

HL-5370 DW

Ur right, something is definitely wrong! Like I said the first drum blew out while still under warranty and Briother refused to do anything about it. I am now on the 4th drum since then! It's not necessarily a big deal cos the replacement drums were really cheap, but still ..... something is definitely wrong.
Here's what happened last week: I had to replace toner cart and immediately got black splothces running intermittently down both sides of the page. I tried a new cart., same deal. I then cleaned the drum (following Brother instructions) and this resulted in an even bigger mess. I put in new (cheap) drum and everything was instantly fine.

So go figure. Just don't know ...?

Reply by sandi_CA on 7/29/12 8:11pm
Msg #428600

I, too, take my worn out drums to Staples for recycling credit. They take both toner cartridges and old drums.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/12 12:28pm
Msg #428646

Ditto. I take carts. & drum. n/m

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 7/30/12 4:11pm
Msg #428678

This might sound like a dumb question but...

I'm guessing they only take originals for recycling, not the reconditioned ones. Or do they take those too?
I haven't bought an original cartridge in ages...

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/12 6:55pm
Msg #428705

I take in the recycled ones. I've never seen a stipulation

on what kind of carts they would take.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.