Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
When purchasing a new Brother or HP printer...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by BrotherOwner on 7/19/12 5:08pm
Msg #427446

If you are intending to use aftermarket toner with your new printer, during the warranty period, take out the original OEM toner that comes with the printer, and save it in case you have a problem, so you can test print, or in case you have a warranty claim or need repair. Manufacturers frown on non OEM toner, in some cases, rightly so.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/19/12 5:50pm
Msg #427449

Great idea but too late. lol

Reply by MW/VA on 7/19/12 7:02pm
Msg #427458

Thanks. I do that. They will try not to honor the

warranty unless you're using OEM products.

Reply by Frank/NC on 7/19/12 7:32pm
Msg #427462

Although I am not 100 percent certain of this, I think that they can no longer cancel warranties or deny coverage if you use after market toners. At one point, maybe three or four years ago, HP stated they wouldn't service a printer in that I was not using HP toner. However, I think that has changed. I will do some further research and post what I find.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 7/19/12 10:57pm
Msg #427474

Re: Exactly my point in the thread, Frank

"At one point, maybe three or four years ago, HP stated they wouldn't service a printer in that I was not using HP toner. However, I think that has changed. I will do some further research and post what I find. "

Exactly my point, the Moss-Mag act was passed years ago ( I didn't bother to check the year and will take 1975 as a good year), but by your words and many others, apparently no one sent a copy to the printer manufacturers. If I have a problem, under warranty, with a $250 or less printer, it is gonna have an OEM toner cartridge in it at the time I place the call. I don't have the time, energy, or money to argue with them, that was the purpose of my thread. If it was toner related, that's one thing, but if a circuit board or whatever feed widget is broken, I just want a replacement, under warranty, with no other drama.

Reply by Frank/NC on 7/19/12 7:39pm
Msg #427463

Here it is

The Truth About Printer Warranties That the Manufacturers Don't Want You to Know

By Neel Drew

You want to use a recycled printer cartridge, because you're an environmentalist - or maybe you just want to use them because they are so much more inexpensive. But you've heard or you've read in the owner's guide for your printer that you should only use the manufacturer's brand of cartridges, because use of "aftermarket parts" will void your printer's warranty.

Well, folks, that's not true.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

One of the oldest excuses manufacturers have used in the past to deter customers from using Compatible or Remanufactured supplies is that doing so would void the warranty of the printer. Years ago, the U.S. Government instituted the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (the "Act"), which in effect prevents any manufacturer from voiding the warranty of any device simply based on the use of compatible or remanufactured parts or supplies.

Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. The Act was sponsored by Senator Warren G. Magnuson of Washington and Congressman John E. Moss of California, both Democrats. The Act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers.

The Act defines a "consumer product" as being generally any tangible personal property for sale and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. It is important to note that the determination whether something is a "consumer product" requires a factual finding, on a case-by-case basis.

The Act provides that any company warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission, which has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $15. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.

Under the terms of the Act, ambiguous statements in a warranty are construed against the drafter of the warranty. Likewise, service contracts must fully, clearly, and conspicuously disclose their terms and conditions in simple and readily understood language.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provision, and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has tried to return a printer in which aftermarket parts (a toner remanufactured cartridge or printer drum, for example) to a dealer for replacement or warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal!

Printer manufacturers are not allowed to void the printer warranty just because aftermarket parts (which includes Remanufactured or Compatible ink cartridges) are used in the printer.

When a printer is purchased new, the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an "express warranty," which is an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time.

Beyond the express warranty, the printer manufacturer is often held responsible for further "implied warranties," which state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards beyond the express warranties.
However, in both cases, under this Act, the mere presence of aftermarket parts does not void the printer's original warranty.

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the printer manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the printer's original warranty is not voided. Consumers should choose their ink and toner vendors wisely, and know that should a Remanufactured or Compatible cartridge be the reason for a printer's failure or damage the printer in any way, that vendor will assume the full cost of repair or replacement of the consumer's printer.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new printer warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for a warranty claim. However, a printer manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an aftermarket equipment has been used in a printer.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new printer warranty, and you believe the problem is due to the printer failing for reasons other than an aftermarket part being used, obtain a written explanation of the dealer's refusal to honor the warranty. Then you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act.
You can view a more detailed legal explanation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act of 1975 by clicking on the following link: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm.

As an addition to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, certain online suppliers, such as InkMart.com, import their Remanufactured and Compartible cartridges from these certified manufacturers that guarantee the quality to InkMart, which in turn can guarantee them to their customers. This allows the consumer to have high expectations of quality cartridges and trust in the warranties by the vendor when they purchase them.

Sources of the above information include:
* Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute Website
* Federal Trade Commission Website
* Najran Co. for General Contracting and Trading v. Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc., 659 F. Supp.

1081 (S.D. Ga. 1986).

InkMart is a major importer and national distributor of ink and toner cartridges. To learn more about company and the depth of our products, visit website at http://www.InkMart.com. They offer a selection of over 30,000 printer products, including Point of Sale (POS) printers, for all printer brands, including Brother, Canon, Dell, Epson, Hewlett Packard (HP), IBM, Minolta, Lexmark, Okidata, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Xerox, and many more!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Neel_Drew

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/19/12 10:34pm
Msg #427471

Re: Here it is

Thank you Frank. I will be keeping your post on file for the next guy at HP or Brother that doesn't want to honor their warranty.

I also keep 1 new OEM toner\ink, so that if I have to send back I just put in the OEM product before sending back.

Jenny

Reply by MW/VA on 7/20/12 8:06am
Msg #427505

Thanks for the great info, Frank. n/m

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/20/12 12:56am
Msg #427487

I think it is kinda like the Title can't make you buy insurance from any one company disclaimer. you can go to whomever you want.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.