Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/5/12 5:28pm
Msg #425676

became filimar? what are you asking? n/m

Reply by PegiT_MN on 7/5/12 5:33pm
Msg #425677

??????? n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/5/12 6:02pm
Msg #425682

I am going to be a little tough on you now.

You need to take stock of yourself. Signing Services and Title Companies read these posts. Do you think they will want to hire somebody who can't even make herself understood? This is a business where one must pay attention to details. You need to learn to proof read what you right and also to consult a dictionary. I presume that you wanted to write the word familiar.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/5/12 6:08pm
Msg #425684

OOOPS!

The word is write...not right!

Reply by kathy/ca on 7/5/12 6:15pm
Msg #425685

Shoshana, you did write the word "write", its all good!!! n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/5/12 6:23pm
Msg #425687

No, Kathy. Check it again! LOL! n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/5/12 6:32pm
Msg #425689

that was pretty funny Shoshana : ) n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/5/12 8:18pm
Msg #425701

Well Donna, it was a little embarrassing!

However, at least I went back to make my correction. The OP doesn't have a clue.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/5/12 11:47pm
Msg #425712

Shoshana, i have certainly done the same-yours could not

have been more perfectly timedSmile

Reply by jba/fl on 7/6/12 12:11am
Msg #425714

you missed proofread. n/m

Reply by kathy/ca on 7/6/12 12:16pm
Msg #425752

Oh thats right, I was looking at the other "write" ha ha!! n/m

Reply by Hart - Marilyn on 7/5/12 7:58pm
Msg #425698

Re: I am going to be a little tough on you now.

write..................not right!!!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/5/12 8:16pm
Msg #425699

Obviously, you missed my correction. Go back to OOOPS! LOL! n/m

Reply by CJ on 7/5/12 9:02pm
Msg #425707

Getting familiar with loan documents.

First of all, this is a nit-picky job, so the members of this forum are very nit-picky. Get a hold of some loan documents and read them. Do you have a loan on your house? Read those docs. If not, do you know someone who would let you read their docs? A parent? A sibling? You don't really need to understand them verbatim, just get the gist of them. If a borrower REALLY wants to know what it says, he will read it himself. Frequently I explain the docs and the borrowers just read them anway. When a signing service sends you docs, look them over. If you are very new, put a sticky tab at each place to sign and initial so you don't miss anything. After doing that a few times, you'll have a better idea as to what each page is about. Technically, explaining the docs is not really your job, so don't sweat it too much. On the other hand, if the people don't understand what they are signing, it's going to take a lot longer.

Reply by NJDiva on 7/5/12 9:28pm
Msg #425711

Good Points CJ. But it is my opinion that

though we are not supposed give the legal ramifications of a document, we are responsible to have an idea of what it is and be able to give a brief description of the role it plays within the package.

I don't say anything other than what they could actually read with their own eyes. Just giving that brief summary gives the borrowers a sense that you know what you're doing thereby putting them at ease and allowing the closing to move right along.

You may be better off taking a course. There are a number of them out there. I will PM you one that I am familiar and I know is awesome.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/6/12 2:32am
Msg #425715

Re: Good Points CJ. But it is my opinion that

I agree. I don't believe reading over one set of documents is sufficient - although it's a very good idea. Document sets come in all sorts of flavors and there are some basic principles, many of which can't be found in a set of docs, that should be learned.

Reply by CJ on 7/6/12 9:48am
Msg #425722

Re: Good Points CJ. But it is my opinion that

I agree that reading one set of docs won't cover it, but getting a hold of someone's docs will familiarze you with at least 100 common pages. I have been doing this 11 years and yesterday I saw a page I never saw before: an affidavit about the GFE. But I know about it now.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/6/12 10:08am
Msg #425725

Agree - familiarity comes with time. But no matter....

it seems as though every different company puts in a form I have never seen before, as though there is some little guy sitting on a cloud dropping ideas in someone's ear and they then go: "Eureka. What a great form" and then add it to their stack.

I hate it... it stops my flow and appears that I don't know what I am doing, however briefly. My shoulder angel is good about whispering, "never let them see you sweat!"

Reply by NJDiva on 7/6/12 10:24am
Msg #425731

Lmao...too funny Jules!

But you're right! It seems like recently there have been an influx of new disclosures! WTH? lol When that happens, I just say, "Oh, this must be a new disclosure. Please feel free to peruse it."

When I start off I tell them that "I will give a brief description of the role the document plays in the package, to expect duplication, redundancy, doc's saying the same thing over and over in different verbiage and that the bank and title company will have similar or same doc's as well. Transparency, transparency, transparency. However, just know that if there is a doc that I am not familiar with I will let you know and give you the opportunity to peruse it. It seems like there is a new disclosure every day."

I say this as I am documenting their information in my Notary Log so that the bo's aren't just sitting there staring at me. lol

Keeps them busy and focused...lol

Reply by bfnotary on 7/6/12 5:05pm
Msg #425788

Re: Agree - familiarity comes with time. But no matter....

ha, I had a form today I hadn't seen before. I know I am still newer, But i only see new forms from time to time. This was the first time in a month or so that I have seen a new form.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/6/12 8:39am
Msg #425717

Best advice is to get some training & don't attempt to do

this until you know what you're doing. These are large financial transaction, and the process shouldn't be taken too lightly.

Reply by snoopdogMs on 7/6/12 5:51pm
Msg #425794

so true Marilynn. So many new agents puff up their profile

to get a closing and don't have a clue. This closing that I turned back today involved a notary that did not know to strike out the preprinted borrowers' name out of the notarial block that was not present. She also did not put the county venue in as well as put N/A on the blank extra signature lines. This is notary 101. Half of her stamp on the Deed of Trust was stamped over typed writing under her signature.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.