Notary Rotary
fax back/copy or reprint for escow company
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by sueharke on 7/13/12 4:31pm
Msg #426711

I could not find a prior subject but I think there is. This is the seine time I have been ask to fax back or copy and mail all signed original docs. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you handle the issue?

The ss did not want to pay in advance for copy fee for shined docs. I suggested taking docs to the local office of the title company and let them scan and send dos to the escrow company. Both suggestions were rejected. Is this the new issue of the future?

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/13/12 4:45pm
Msg #426717

Huh? n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/13/12 4:58pm
Msg #426720

Okay, glad I wasn't the only one...

I didn't quite understand that one, either. I know I make plenty of typing errors -- I'm a really bad typer... but even I couldn't quite grasp what was being said there. Care to try again?

Reply by janCA on 7/13/12 5:22pm
Msg #426724

Re: Okay, glad I wasn't the only one...

Did they state they needed the docs faxed back when you accepted the assignment, or after the fact?

From what I understand you are saying, they want you to fax back or scan and email the entire package.

if they stated they needed the fax backs at the beginning, then the agreed upon fee should be inclusive of that.

If it's after the fact, you should be paid extra.

Either way, you may have a problem getting paid for this one.

Reply by A S Johnson on 7/13/12 5:36pm
Msg #426728

1st you were asked to fax back for quality control. Then to send the signed documents back.
If I do not have the ability to scan that allright but you do need the ability to fax.
You do not give the ss al la carte fees. your fee should be inclusive. If you need any fees upfront then ask for the entire fee. You do not want to peice meal i your fee.
I disagree with fax backs, but they are part of the business. I charge for it such as to discourage being asked to do it.
I am only guessing that you are dealing with a ss that is a low baller as far as fees paid for your service when you have a good and proper business plan to make money doing signing you will find that you are ask fewer times for fax backs. An aside, I hardly am
ask to do fax backs. When asked for such I simply tell that ss that I will fax back 10 pages as part of my normal fee and increase that fee of $15 for up to 25 pages and $20 for up to 50 page and gp from there if more. Faxing takes additional time and ties up my equipment and phone lines so I feel a need to charge for this.
My normanl fee for a regular regalur refi up to 130 page if $125 for e-docs, signing and returning with a provided label. Other services such as travel over 20 miles. In Texas we have HELOCS or cash out that require getting a title/escrow or attorney office that"s extra. Fax back are extra.
You understand that I am in the business to make money. I'm 69 yrs old and can stay home if I am going to loss maney.
I just had a tax finance deal offered from a office in California, fir a signing 30 miles away in Mineral Wells. I do these for a Austin Texas HQed operation for $150 for up 50 miles. "He can only go $100." Travel fees for more milage. And the deal is usually about 50 pages. I stick to my fees. I laose some. I get some. But when I"m working, I'm making momey.
Rember the story about the 2 MBA guads who bought a truck. went out and bought 100 watermelon for $1 each. Went to town to sell the watermelons for 95 cents each. They went fast. The two look at each other and were amazed of how fast they sold. So they said to each other that to "make" real money they needed too buy a 2nd truch and sell for only 90 cents each. Think about how many Notarie in our business approach any type of business plan.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/13/12 5:43pm
Msg #426730

Good point with the story, Sid. :-) n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 7/13/12 6:02pm
Msg #426735

*** I'm 69 yrs old**

Isn't there some rule against OldePhartz taking up our space on this forum? Shouldn't you be at an AARP shuffle dance or polishing your walker or making sure you have enough fiber pills for the week? Geez, some folks just don't know when to give up.

Reply by sueharke on 7/13/12 6:04pm
Msg #426737

Thank you for agreeing with my original thought on this proposed signing. Your comments clearly express why I did not accept it. Still looking for the coma that I can see on the kindle fire keyboard because of bad grammar

Reply by HisHughness on 7/13/12 6:07pm
Msg #426739

***Your comments clearly express why I did not accept it***

Sorry; pulled the trigger too soon. The above post was not in the thread when I kicked you in the tush for accepting the job. Good for you for turning it down.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/13/12 6:29pm
Msg #426747

Only said what most of us were thinking at the time, Hugh

Of course, I also had to change my original opinion as well when I read that she turned it down. Smile

I also say Good for you for turning it down, I would have as well.

Reply by sueharke on 7/13/12 5:57pm
Msg #426733

Will fix original message when I am not using the kindle fire that loves to incorrectedly correct spelling and #$$@@$$.

The offer was $100 to print get signed send original docs to title and fax back copy of signed docs to escrow. Sorry but there is no comma that I see on the keyboard

Reply by HisHughness on 7/13/12 6:05pm
Msg #426738

***Sorry but there is no comma that I see on the keyboard***

You don't need a comma on your keyboard. You need a course in common sense and profitable business practices. You agreed to a $100 fee for a signing that included faxing back the entire document package?

Reply by sueharke on 7/13/12 6:08pm
Msg #426740

I did not agree or accept the assignment. I went out to lunch with my husband insured.

Reply by sueharke on 7/13/12 6:09pm
Msg #426742

It should say went out to lunch with my husband instead.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/13/12 6:17pm
Msg #426743

I can relate to the auto correct snafu

ha ha lol...glad you did not accept. Lunch and time spent with loved ones always a bigger benefit in the whole scheme of things.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/13/12 6:20pm
Msg #426746

Just to clarify, this was a request that you turned down

and you were just asking for advice on how to handle such request in the future?

If so, Sid's advice is the same I would offer. Get all the information before accepting the request and add up all your charges before quoting your fee. The quoted fee should be for the entire job.

I also charge a minimum of $125 for a regular normal sized package (125 pgs) local refi signing and charge for fax/scanned back docs. I also charge additional for oversize doc files (i.e. 180-200 pgs) - usually VA loans and certain TC/SS companies have 180+ pages as a normal thing for just about any of their loans.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/13/12 6:17pm
Msg #426744

"no comma"...

Kindle Fire keyboard works just like a Qwerty or cell phone keyboard...small key on lower left of keyboard with numbers (think 1234) - hit that and keyboard converts to numbers and symbols...

Never had the problem with mine auto-correcting.

Reply by sueharke on 7/14/12 1:02am
Msg #426802

Re: "no comma"... n/m

Reply by sueharke on 7/14/12 1:09am
Msg #426804

Re: "no comma"...

I think the comma is to the right of the spacebar with a period as the main key. If i take a magniying glass and read the 3 small somethings I believe one is a comma. Here is a test, ,. Eureka, it works by pressing on the cap key then pressing the period key. Thank goodness for magnifying glass.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 7/14/12 4:30pm
Msg #426869

Re: "no comma"...

Are you using some app on your Fire instead of the standard keyboard? The Fire doesn't auto-correct, and it has a standard QWERTY keyboard (the comma is right where you'd expect it to be, in between the "m" and the period).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/15/12 10:42am
Msg #426918

Okay Mike...now you had me curious as that's not how

my kindle is - so I fired it up to be sure.. - and I don't use any special apps...

There's a keyboard - letters only except for "/" and period and a ".com" button, among others - in order to access the "comma" you MUST click on the "123!?" on the lower left..next to the "/" symbol - this will bring up the numbers keyboard where you find the comma in about the same location as on a standard keyboard - but there is nothing between the m and the period on the Kindle Fire keyboard.

Mine does not auto-correct either.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 7/13/12 6:03pm
Msg #426736

If you have not already done so, you might want to check SC

to check out the company and their history with other NSA's. You may be dealing with a good company and just a miscommunication issue or you may be dealing with a deadbeat that wants you to do more work than they originally requested for free.

As others have mentioned, it makes a difference if the request was before you accepted the request or after the fact. If after the fact, and it were me, the company would have to send me a confirmation of the additional fax charge (total for signing + additional fax charge) before I would fax anything. If they refused, and again if it were me, I would be dropping the docs for shipping and move on.

If the request was prior to the acceptance of the signing request and I missed that detail, by all means I would fax the requested pages and just consider it a lesson learned. I charge for faxes/scanned docs and make that clear prior to accepting signing requests. Yes, I had to learn to ask about fax backs the hard way when I first started my business. Trust me, it didn't take long for me to learn. Wink

Also, depending on the type of signing (loan), they may need the faxed copies in order to fund the loan the same day. I also have one company that I work for occasionally that requires all the docs to be faxed back but they do not require me to send the originals back (I destroy them afterwards). Those signings are not for real estate transactions.

Reply by sueharke on 7/13/12 6:51pm
Msg #426751

Re: If you have not already done so, you might want to check SC

Finally a real keyboard that does not auto correct spelling Smile I want to thank everyone who responded with such great comments and ideas for such a future situation. I'll also look at the kindle fire settings and fix auto correct for spelling so it is disabled (I'd rather take responsibility for own bad spelling without help from a computer).

Reply by jba/fl on 7/13/12 7:49pm
Msg #426760

Some of the auto correct is a hoot though-you might miss it. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.