Notary Rotary
invoice
Notary Discussion History

invoice
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by VT_Syrup on 7/19/12 6:37am
Msg #427373

invoice

I tried the search button, but there were too many hits to find a useful one. If you have to create an invoice, do you list state-specified notary fees on a separate line. For example, if I agreed to a total of $140 and there are four notarial certificates, would I invoice like this?

Description Unit price Quantity Extended

Copying and services $138 1 $138

Notarial certificates under seal $0.50 4 $2

Total $140

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 7/19/12 6:47am
Msg #427374

Is the work for a closing? or general Notarial work? If it's for a closing just the amount agreed upon and it should be on your order. It's not necessary to break down each fee.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/19/12 7:08am
Msg #427375

Re: invoice (closing)

Ilene, I'm thinking of closings, not general notary work.

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/19/12 7:14am
Msg #427376

I try to use the KISS method:

Loan Signing Fee 1 $100.00
Print Fee 1 $ 25.00

Total $125.00

Now if you are thinking of the IRS

Reply by JENNY/TX on 7/19/12 7:15am
Msg #427377

OOPS.

Now if you are thinking of the IRS exemption, then I use a separate spread sheet to keep track of that info.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/19/12 7:38am
Msg #427378

Re: invoice..I don't itemize it out on the statement

for loan signings - but I *DO* separate it out in my journal and in my own bookkeeping. I mark the journal and invoice, for example, "80/50" - that would mean a fee of $130 for a closing containing 8 notarizations at $10 each and the balance of $50 allocated to time, travel and expenses.

K.I.S.S.

Reply by Les_CO on 7/19/12 8:23am
Msg #427379

Just my fee no itemization, same on receipt.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/19/12 9:27am
Msg #427382

No, I do not itemize on the invoice. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 7/19/12 9:30am
Msg #427383

I use QB Simple Start. My invoices read "Notary Signing

Agent Services--VA Refi Loan Signing--JANE DOE--07/16/2012--$125" for example.
Nothing less, nothing more. I do include the client's order no. if one was provided.

Reply by Les_CO on 7/19/12 10:41am
Msg #427391

Re: I use QB Simple Start. My invoices read "Notary Signing

On loan signings, I too include along with the fee amount the company’s name, address, contact numbers, and the person I spoke to/escrow officer, the date of signing, the loan company, the loan number, the file or escrow number, the borrower’s name, and address, and the tracking number, along with my tax ID number, w/net 30 days. Most if this info if for my use, but that’s how I have set up my template.

Reply by CJ on 7/19/12 10:45am
Msg #427392

Other things to put on the invoice.

I usually use their own work order for my invoice. But if I do create an invoice, I include information about the job in case they think I didn't do it. I put their work order number, the name of the borrower (Last, First), date signed, and tracking number. Sometimes I also put the loan number and their client (the title company). I find the tracking number helpful because sometimes they say that I did not do that job. Then I can say, "Not only do I have their signature and thumbprint in my journal, but you can track the package".

Everyone is all over the job when it needs to be done, but once in a while they conviniently forget when it's completed and out of their hair.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/19/12 11:30am
Msg #427398

I itemize my invoices, even if I don't send them.... it's for my records so it matches my journal. I'm not sure about VT, but in CA, we have to record in our journals exactly how much we charged for each act, so I make sure that my invoices match. That's just a personal business decision.

I know some CA notaries who just charge a single "loan package fee" and then don't charge for notarizations since the number needed varies from package to package... but in those cases, they have to record $0 in their journals... which isn't an issue unless you plan to claim the IRS SE exemption.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/19/12 12:50pm
Msg #427404

So Marian, how would an invoice from you look, for a loan signing paying you $150 with 16 notarizations?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.