Notary Rotary
notary exam
Notary Discussion History

notary exam
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Carol Graff on 7/28/12 4:10pm
Msg #428469

notary exam

Just took my renewing notary exam--not needed until 2/13 but was told I should do it early, especially in California. I studied quite a bit, but was surpised at some very tricky, obscure ques in there. I'm pretty sure I passed, but just a fair warning to others to study.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/28/12 7:24pm
Msg #428492

I agree, Carol. I took my renewal exam last Saturday and I, too, was surprised at some of the obscure questions. I'm glad I knew the answers... but I could hear others in the room sigh in frustration.... I'm sure they were being tripped up. Last time, the questions were basic, but oddly worded. This time, the questions were well worded, but tricky and obscure. Maybe they're trying to really weed more people out? We can only hope.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/28/12 7:32pm
Msg #428494

I'll be taking exam soon, too. Keep you posted on my personal experience.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/28/12 8:34pm
Msg #428497

Cheryl,

Not sure we're allowed to discuss the exact content of the exam... but I can tell you that you should definitely review some of the lesser discussed aspects. For example (and I don't think this goes too far, and I know the test changes often), I would be sure that you know what happens to your commission and seal if you are convicted of a felony..not just if related to notarial misconduct, but any felony. Definitely a more obscure procedure that I don't even recall being covered in course materials, not in depth anyway. I'll bet the vast majority of CA notaries have no idea how that's handled. The only reason I knew the answer the particular question is because I remember having read it several weeks prior when answering a question for somebody. Normally, I would have just "glossed" over it, primarily because I don't plan on committing any felonies. Smile

Also, be sure to read the ENTIRE answer given in each option. I caught myself on one of the questions giving the wrong answer because I misread the entire option given. Tricky, tricky!

All that said... as long as you've been doing this, I doubt you'll have any issues.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/28/12 8:43pm
Msg #428499

I do know from others who've taken the exam recently the SOS wants to know we know what happens in worse-case-scenarios, like what do we do when we cease being a notary with our journals and seals, common sense related. What are the consequences of BAD notary work...

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/28/12 9:10pm
Msg #428501

Yeah, there did seem to be a good portion of questions that leaned in that direction, for sure. Others were basic skills. It almost seemed as if they figure if you know all of the oddball stuff, you probably know the basics.

I'm not so sure about that! I know that about half the people in line with me had re-take vouchers with them. I can't figure out how somebody could possibly fail the exam if they actually study. I mean, they only need 70% to pass.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/28/12 10:42pm
Msg #428506

I have taken the test three times for three commissions, and each time the test was radically different in content but consistent in its complete nuttiness. I don't know much about the testing industry, but I do know there are professional test preparers - experts who generally know how to present questions clearly and precisely (if that's the goal) and then, if the test is multiple choice, which California's is, present possible answers that require thought and/or knowledge. None of the tests I took remotely met any industry standard. The SOS apparently can't be bothered to pay for qualified test preparers, which, for example, the Dept. of Insurance does, DMV does, and, I suspect, other departments do as well, such as CHP, not to mention the state employment dept. They don't degrade their departments with "ah ah gotcha" questions and answers presented in an amateurish, twisty, silly manner. They test knowledge, not how well you can figure out how you're being tripped up. The SOS does not test notary knowledge so much as how well the question preparers were at obfuscation. That's how they erroneously think they're done a good job, apparently.

The tests are obviously created by a bunch of bored SOS workers sitting around in the break room, dreaming up the most arcane questions they can think of, twisting the wording to produce the most ungrammatical result possible (no, they're not smarter than a 6th grader) and then tossing out convoluted, "teaser" multiple choice answers. Passing this test is almost an embarrassment. It in no way produces a better notary, just a better hoop-jumper.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/29/12 11:26am
Msg #428543

That's how the real estate exam was when I took it 3 years ago. I had a R.E. license in the early 90's and I remember the test being ridiculously easy. The incorrect answers were so silly, that one couldn't help but get the correct answers.

But I didn't feel that way after the test (150 questions) when I took it in '09. I left the test scratching my head and wondering if I passed (I did). It too had tricky/obscure cues and would ask the same questions in different ways. The first way the question was worded was straight forward. The second and/or third way the question was asked, 2 or 3 pages later in the test booklet, was in a scenario (i.e. seller Susie and buyer Bob). I felt sorry for those who first language was not english.

Dept. of Real Estate REALLY worked to weed out people with the test I took. I can't imagine TODAY what the test is like.

Reply by rengel/CA on 7/29/12 9:53pm
Msg #428609

One of my commissions was up in Feb '08. I took the test in Nov '07. There were huge changes to California notary law starting January 1, 2008. They didn't start testing on the new laws until after Jan 1, 2008. All of the questions on my test were for the previous laws.

And... all of the newby notaries taking the class and test for the very first time, were taught to and tested to the old laws.

I have always wondered how they faired.

My .02

Rengel

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/30/12 3:50pm
Msg #428672

I took the test last December for my current commission which was up in June. A key thing to remember for anyone about to take the exam is that they ask you to mark the BEST answer. There may be more than one that is technically correct, so you have to read the questions carefully.

I agree with whomever said that it's important to know a lot about the penalties and other things not related to notarizing a signature. In the past, I didn't pay as much attention to that part, either, as I have no intention of committing any of those infractions, but they do seem to put an emphasis on those parts. The one question I missed had something to do with which government authority had jurisdiction if some obscure, unlikely event were to happen. (I don't remember exactly - and wouldn't post more specifics if I did.)

Even given all this, I still think a 70% passing grade is a pretty low bar to set - especially if the test is taken right after the class and students will likely forget 70% within three days without further study.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.