Notary Rotary
notifying borrowers
Notary Discussion History

notifying borrowers
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 7/23/12 12:49pm
Msg #427693

notifying borrowers

Documents are delayed for a 11:30 signiing today. It is 11:00 no documents so I called the borrower to let her know that we would not have documents in time for an 11:30 signing.
The signing service called and let me know that the call upset the borrower and not to call her again.
This does not make sense to me. I should let the borrower just wait when I don't show up on time??

Reply by Les_CO on 7/23/12 12:57pm
Msg #427696

Not only would I always call the borrower in such cases, I would ask them if they had spoken with their loan officer today, and if he’s aware of the fact that ‘someone’ has not bothered to get the documents prepared in time for the scheduled signing. JMO

Reply by pat/WA on 7/23/12 1:07pm
Msg #427697

I couldn't believe that they said I was upsetting the borrowers by letting them know that I didn't have documents.

I guess I did upset them!

Reply by Les_CO on 7/23/12 1:15pm
Msg #427700

I don’t know what you said, or how you said it...but one must tread carefully. Many borrowers have been at /in the process of getting a loan for months, and are very concerned about the outcome. I usually try and reassure the borrowers that this is a common occurrence, that there is most likely no problem except the lender/title companies are very busy just now, and should get your paperwork finalized shortly.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/23/12 2:21pm
Msg #427718

Ditto what Les said. I always call the borrowers if I know

the appt. is going to run late because of late docs. I try to find out if they are flexible for time.
I also tell them I will call them as soon as I have an eta. Communications & follow-up are vital in this biz.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/23/12 1:18pm
Msg #427701

Okay so what is the point?

You had to let the borrowers know you were not going to be there on time right? Next time tell them there is a sale a Neiman Marcus and you are going to be delayed because you don't want to miss it. That will work.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/23/12 1:33pm
Msg #427704

Blame FedUPS...even if edocs.

Let them assume "Your papers haven't been delivered to me as yet" means overnight. What they don't know can't hurt LO, Lender, TC, SS or yourself.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/23/12 1:50pm
Msg #427711

All kidding aside

You should then call the SS and tell them someone should call the borrowers and tell them why the signing will be late! End of story. WTH is it your problem?

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 7/23/12 2:31pm
Msg #427725

Some signing services simply aren't worth the hassle. You did the right thing.

Reply by Cody on 7/23/12 3:50pm
Msg #427740

recently one company specifically says in their confirmation not to tell the borrowers you don't have the docs yet...weird...

Reply by MonicaFL on 7/23/12 8:21pm
Msg #427783

I would then return the assignment to them and tell you that you are not going to "take the blame" for something that is not your fault. (You know they are going to blame you!)

Reply by CJ on 7/23/12 10:18pm
Msg #427792

Most borrowers have no idea how this works. If they hear their docs are late, they panic, they get on the phone, they start yelling at people, and they hope this will magically produce documents.

I tell them,"Your documents are running late, but no need to panic. Everybody wants to get this done today and they are just a little bit behind. They are hurrying. I'll give title a call and see if I can get a realistic ETA. How is your schedule for the rest of the day? What are you doing tonight? Can we come up with a Plan B? As soon as I get the docs I will call you and we can firm up a time. Technically, today ends at midnight, and I am happy to come over this evening if I have to."

That calms down 95% of my borrowers. But also, it's technically not our job. I think their loan people should keep the borrowers in the loop. To have the notaries in the dark about what's really going on, and then expect us to re-schedule with the borrowers, and then blame the notary when the borrowers don't like it, that's just cowardly on their part. I suspect anyone who would have called these particular borrowers would have upset them. But at least if title had done it, they could have given the borrowers a realistic explanation of what was going on.

Reply by FavNotary/CA on 7/23/12 11:17pm
Msg #427796

CJ, sounds like you've been around the block a few times. I agree there will always be a small percentage of folks we aren't going to please. Your insight and suggestion is professionally tactful and right on the money. I hope you won't mind, but I think I'll copy it and use it as a script whenever I need to make that type of call. Thanks!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/23/12 11:53pm
Msg #427801

Hint: Never say "late"

I think CJ's "script" if right on. However, I never tell borrowers their docs are "late" because this causes all sorts of turmoil and subsequent stupid phone calls from the SS like the one Pat got. I tell them the docs haven't been "released yet" so we will have to resked, what's your sked like? and I will call you as soon as they are "released." It takes a lot of the sting out.

Reply by NJDiva on 7/24/12 4:12pm
Msg #427917

So GG what do you say when they ask what that means...

they haven't been "released yet"? Why are they being held?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.