Notary Rotary
what do you do?
Notary Discussion History

what do you do?
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 7/26/12 11:31am
Msg #428129

what do you do?

What do you do when you recieve a request to do a signing that is so remote that you know that it will take an 8 hour day to complete.
Do you say you are not available or do you negotiate an outrageous fee to cover your time and costs?
This particular signing is on an island which requires a ferry trip.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 7/26/12 11:37am
Msg #428130

I would explain that it was far beyond my travel distance. n/m

Reply by ToniK on 7/26/12 11:46am
Msg #428132

I turn it down saying I dont service that area. Unless they are willing to pay me $800...lol

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/26/12 11:47am
Msg #428133

I give them the option.

I explain that it's outside my usual and customary service area due to distance and time. I further explain that I would be more than happy to accommodate but would have to charge accordingly and proceed to quote them a fee that takes everything into consideration.

Then, the ball is in their court. If they agree, I'm all theirs for the day.

I don't mind driving. If I did, I wouldn't be a mobile notary.

Reply by ikando on 7/26/12 3:17pm
Msg #428155

Re: I give them the option.

I have done as Yoli suggested when I knew the process might even include an overnight (from one side of the state to the remote other side). I don't know if they found someone, but they didn't want to pay my fee.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/26/12 12:07pm
Msg #428135

pack a picnic? I'm with Yoli-if they pay your for the day

and include the cost of the ferry it could be a fun outing? marybe the signers could meet you at the ferry landing on your side if the water?

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/26/12 3:27pm
Msg #428158

I regularly cover the islands--here's my technique.

Aside from Vashon (which I add ferry time and travel time but is pretty accessible to me) I bill at "half day" and "full day" depending on which island.

Sometimes they pay it.

Also, I always tell them, if I can rustle up another closing to do on the same trip, I'll split the fee so they don't have to cover the whole day.

That's happened a few times--I put the word out to local title companies that I'll be working in that area on that day and can add others on to reduce fees. I've had luck with that technique too.

Oh, and I NEVER do islands at EOM, because I can usually bill a lot more than my typical "daily rate" on those days.

I personally love getting island closings on Saturdays. Sometimes I take the hubby and kids, drop them at the park, go do my closing, and meet up for time to play on the island for a bit before going home.

Reply by pat/WA on 7/26/12 4:33pm
Msg #428166

Re: I regularly cover the islands--here's my technique.

This was Anderson

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/26/12 4:45pm
Msg #428169

Oh yeah, that one is a PITA. Ferry only 4x a day I think.

For sure, full day rate. There's nothing to do on the island either.

And mobile reception is awful, so don't take an e-close out there.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/26/12 3:28pm
Msg #428159

If it's a 4 or 5 star company, yes, I'd accept and price accordingly. The fee wouldn't be "outrageous" but would be profitable, taking into account time and expenses, but more importantly the TIME involved in travel.

A company less than 4 stars - NO.....it's likely they'll agree to any amount just to get the job completed, then either not pay, drag their feet before paying, or manufacture "issues" as a ruse to reduce the original agreed upon fee. But...as a rule, I don't contract with companies rated less than 4 stars, period.

Reply by Karla/OR on 7/26/12 4:36pm
Msg #428167

After digesting the details, I would probably take the assignment assuming the SS pays my requested fee. An assignment here in Oregon will often take me 1 to 1.5 hours each way. I just consider it being part of a mobile notary's job.

So, Pat, did you or did you not get your requested fee and take the assignment? Curious minds . . .

Reply by Patti Corcoran on 7/26/12 4:39pm
Msg #428168

Re: I always suggest a notary in their area - they are so

appreciative, especially when I tell them what my fee would have to be to cover that signing. I personally do not have the time to cover long distances. Your call.

Reply by pat/WA on 7/26/12 4:58pm
Msg #428171

Quoted $$$$
They said no thanks. I said good luck try to get the borrower to consider coming to the mainland

Reply by pat/WA on 7/26/12 5:00pm
Msg #428172

Sorry one too many $$
Should be $$$

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/26/12 5:07pm
Msg #428173

Most out of state folks don't get our geography

10 miles as the crow flies can be a half day's drive or a $35 ferry fee!

I get calls all the time to cover certain cities in my county (especially in winter) I quote my fee and explain it's 3 hours drive time, two chain ups for mountain passes, and I'll be battling logging trucks and bears the whole way. Life's too short.

I'll do a closing 2 counties away for half what I'll charge for a lot of "close" places.

Reply by TacomaBoy on 7/26/12 5:52pm
Msg #428181

I feel your pain!

I feel your pain! I really enjoy the bucolic trips to the islands, but, for me, it’s just not a good business practice to entertain the signing jobs. I’m only 15 minutes away from the Vashon Is terminal, but I’m looking at least a 6 to 7 hour day for one signing. For those in the forum not familiar with Washington island business: 15 minutes to the terminal; 30 minutes wait (it’s crowded, so be early or wait for the next boat!); 30 minute crossing; 60 minutes travel to the signing location; 60 minutes signing; 60 minute return to the ferry terminal; 30 minute wait for the ferry IF YOU’RE VERY LUCKY! (ferries schedules are irregular); 30 minute return ferry trip; 15 minutes return home. Oh, and don’t forget the $20.00 - $40.00 ferry charges. I still take a few island signing jobs, when I have the time for them, but they are big black holes for time with little upside. Unfortunately, most schedulers don’t get it and are angered, when I refuse their $100.00 to $150.00 island signing offers. Hopefully, some of them will read this synopsis and develop a better understanding of Washington island business.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 7/26/12 10:17pm
Msg #428219

Thanks

Wow..Thats a lot of travel time TacomaBoy..Then who does do these closings? You are right I would never have thought that some areas are that hard to get too..Thanks for the great georgraphy lesson.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/27/12 9:20am
Msg #428242

I do islands, and typically get paid very well

When they don't want to meet my fees (typically charging half-day rates) for the islands with more regular ferry routes, I think the signing companies and title companies are having the borrowers come to the mainland--most do anyhow periodically, as nobody wants to buy gas or groceries on the islands. Last time I was on Vashon the gas was $3/gallon more than the mainland. Egads!

Some of the smaller islands (Anderson comes to mind) don't have any grocery facilities or anything.

I forgot to mention before, I always offer to sign the borrowers at the mainland terminal on either end of their regular commute for my regular fees because the terminals are a breeze.

Reply by Jodith/WA on 7/30/12 8:59pm
Msg #428719

Re: I do islands, and typically get paid very well

My problem is that I'm at least 45 mins from the ferry terminal in Anacortes (in good traffic), so while I suggest meeting the client at the terminal (so they can just do a walk on), they can find a notary more local than I am who will meet them at the ferry terminal for a much lower price that I will charge for the extra distance.

Every once in a while, though, the lender absolutely insists that someone must go to the borrower's home, and then I usually get the job.

The other odd trip I make regularly is to Point Roberts. It's an odd spit of land that extends down from Canada and across the US border. So to go there, you have to cross through Canada and then back into the US. So, to compensate for the border crossing times, I charge double my normal rate off season, and 2.5 to 3 times my normal rate for the summer (when it can take a good hour to cross into Point Roberts because of all the boaters/campers heading off to vacation there). SS's get pissed when I quote the price until I explain to them all the logistics entailed.

Reply by Jodith/WA on 7/30/12 8:49pm
Msg #428715

Ah, yes, I love the Orcas and Friday Harbor signings. Only do a couple a year because I charge an outrageous sum for it, but I enjoy them when I actually get them. I figure I could do 4 signings in the time it takes to do one island signing, so I charge them 4 times my usual fee.

Reply by Jodith/WA on 7/30/12 9:01pm
Msg #428720

Errr...that's 4x off season. During the season, you can have a 2 or 3 ferry wait, so I charge 6x my usual fee. And they have to accomodate my time, since it's impossible to spend the night out there in season and only mildly possible off season.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.