Notary Rotary
Driver's Licenses and expiration dates
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2013 Index

Posted by Saul Leibowitz on 2/2/13 3:59pm
Msg #453666

I do not have a file pending with a problem, just looking for information.
In Illinois if you have not had a ticket you can mail in a renewal form, pay your fee, and the Secretary of State will mail you a sticker to put on the back of your license showing the expiration date has been extended four years. I.e., my license which on the face would show expired 07/07/2011 would have the sticker on the back and would be valid until 07/07/2015.
I understand and accept that some in other states might not accept this in a split signing; my only question is,
what other states have a similar practice?
A lot of people here prefer doing this to standing in line for a renewal with new picture at the SOS Driver's License facilities.
Thanks.

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/2/13 4:07pm
Msg #453667

Texas does. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/2/13 4:20pm
Msg #453670

California will retain the same photo and just send a whole new card if you renew by mail or online.

If we are presented with an out of state license that has been properly extended, then that's fine. That's where the ID Checking guide (sold here at NotRot) can sure come in handy. Well, not always for renewal stickers... but it's very easy to Google that state's renewal procedures and verify it. I've done that a time or two when presented out of state ID.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 2/2/13 4:20pm
Msg #453671

I believe I saw an announcement that one of the states affected by Sandy had extended the validity of driver licenses; apparently there was no sticker; everyone was just expected to have heard the announcement and act accordingly.

I have also read about states that extend the validity of driver licenses belonging to people in the armed services who are serving outside the issuing state until a certain number of days after they return.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/2/13 4:23pm
Msg #453673

"I have also read about states that extend the validity of driver licenses belonging to people in the armed services who are serving outside the issuing state until a certain number of days after they return"

That's true... it may very well be considered extended or valid on a grace period but that might not make the ID still eligible for notarial purposes, though, based on individual state requirements.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 2/2/13 6:01pm
Msg #453688

From what I've seen, the laws and rules in the various states that tell their notaries what ID they can accept are not thoroughly thought out, and leave gaps that leave the notaries wondering what to do and the people who want a notarization up a creek without a paddle. For example, California says documents are OK "if the identification document is current or has been issued within five years" and meet the other requirements. It doesn't say "current based on the date on the face of the document", it just says current. If the notary can determine from another reliable source that the expiration date on the face of the license is not the actual expiration date, and the ID is really still current, there doesn't seem to be anything to stop the notary from accepting it. But I'll bet a lot of CA notaries would be unwilling to do that.

Then again, no rules at all from the state is rather scary too.

Has anyone ever seen a good set of rules that cover every possibility? I haven't. The DMVs have to evaluate ID too. Usually DMV websites give a list of acceptable IDs and that if you don't have any of them, it will be up to the discretion of the supervisor as to whether what you have will be good enough.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 2/2/13 4:30pm
Msg #453674

Why would other states not accept this? The sticker on the back clearly says Certificate of Extension. License expires four (4) years from expiration date on the face of license.

If they don't accept it, they are wrong not to.

What I have the most problem with in IL is the military. We can no longer accept the military ID of the active member due to no signature on it. If they also have a DL that is expired in their home state, I cannot accept that. In rare cases, the expired DL says it does NOT expire until they exit the service. But, if it doesn't say that, I don't take it. They try and tell me that it doesn't matter if its expired, but I still don't take it. Most have passports they can use, which works out great. The spouse of the active member's military ID does have a signature, so I can accept it. Gets hairy at times.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/2/13 4:45pm
Msg #453678

We have that problem where I live, too... a lot of military come from other states not realizing CA issues and soon realize that their military ID is pretty much useless off base. Now that they've converted to the smart cards, they aren't useful for anyone who can't utilize the information stored on the card.

SO, most now just go and get a CA ID card at the very minimum, if not a DL. It's just easier that way for ID purposes. They aren't required to, though... by state law, they're perfectly allowed to drive using their out of state license without converting it as long as it remains valid. Same with their vehicles... they don't even have to switch out registration, so long as it remains valid in the other state. SO for THOSE purposes, it's not an issue, because they've got a valid out of state driver license, which we can accept.

It's the ones who don't don't renew their out of state IDs thinking they can rely on their military ID where the problems start popping up. And believe me, it happens a lot --- mostly I see it with syoung spouses of enlisted who...well, aren't the brightest bulbs in the house if you get my meaning.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/2/13 11:50pm
Msg #453727

Ewww.....Marian - they have less money, spend more on their moving about since less bennies, etc. This is not a high paying position and military spouses don't work as often as they are moving all the time. Lots of issues you may not be aware of. I've been on both ends of the military spectrum (officer & enlisted).

Take that last sentence back.....

Reply by Bear900/CA on 2/3/13 12:27am
Msg #453730

I personally know a spouse of a navy pilot who herself was an air traffic controller on an aircraft carrier.

After her discharge she became one of those “spouses of enlisted” and a mother moving around with her husband. You would perhaps have never guessed that she was in the Navy. They purchased a modest house during that time so may have fit your profile.

She earned her CPA and after his discharge they both became brokers and now own an extremely successful mortgage company specializing in helping vets use their VA loan benefit. They close a VA loan literally every other day and teach realtors and LO’s how to assist vets.

They are both in high demand as speakers. Last month while hosting her husband as a speaker we had a chance to visit. She was in her sweats with her child in tow and fighting a cold. She looked like your everyday mom. You would never guess.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/3/13 1:11am
Msg #453735

Note that I said, certain "Young spouses of the enlisted" --- I was referring to a very specific type of spouse...not all of them. I just wanted to clear that up.

I was referring to the younger, immature ones who tend to be a little... clueless about being an actual adult.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/3/13 1:22am
Msg #453736

"I was referring to the younger, immature ones who tend to be a little... clueless about being an actual adult."

Well, see, that was me in 1964, married straight out of high school, no clue about being an actual adult, thanks to the prevailing wisdom of the officer father I had who felt that I would marry well so why bother to educate me about adult things other than what my mom could impart about homekeeping, etc.

Fortunately, she did teach me about how to move a household in an afternoon and ride herd on the kids at the same time. Delegation of jobs was high on her list too. Although she bought several cars, she did not teach me that skill.

Reply by jba/fl on 2/3/13 1:25am
Msg #453737

But, I was not in the category you described. That

was trash in my day, and still is I guess.

I remember my mom lost track of the kitchen on one move. When we got to our next locale, the trash from FL was unboxed with the dishes, etc.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 2/3/13 1:08am
Msg #453734

Oh no.... I'm not say ALL spouses are like that.... oh heavens NO way!!!! In fact, I'd say most are NOT like that. What I mean, was that there are a handful of select young spouses who aren't that bright that I often encounter. They stand out... but not in a good way.

In fact, about 2 months ago I visited with one and it was akin to sitting in the middle of an episode of MTV's Teen Mom. It wasn't pretty. This young women, who was 20, was married to a man deployed, was getting paperwork notarized to facilitate an adoption. She had a 3 year old and was pregnant again by somebody other than her husband. She was giving the baby up for adoption and her husband was, according to her, not aware that she was pregnant, nor did she have any intention of letting him know.

This girl did not have current ID that I could use. Her ID from her other state (she doesn't have a DL) was in her maiden name. Her military ID is a smart card and I can't use it. The only person she knew who was willing to vouch for her ID was the guy named in the paperwork as the father of the baby. So, for banking and many other purposes, she'd probably get by... but for notarization...not so much.

And, with the conversation and other things happening while I was there, it was just all...surreal. She would pull out her Costco card, her birth certificate... whatever hoping to change my mind. She wouldn't listen to me or pay attention to what I was telling her, or showing her was required. She went nuts on me because I was not "accommodating her" like she wanted. It's *those*young military spouses I'm referring to... not all of them. Unfortunately, I've met several like her.

I'm VERY aware of what military spouses deal with. All too aware. That's why these particular ones stick out to me sometimes. They make me cringe.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 2/3/13 9:39am
Msg #453750

Advice to Marian and and suggestion to other NOTROTers

regarding military folks.
Marian ,quit while you're behind and just say that you are sorry (LOL)
Militay personnel and dependents can have a document validly notarized by at a JAG office, by many commissioned officers,etc, etc. All they would need would be their military issued ID.
Marian's "lady with child" may have been reluctant to go to base officer, but it would be an option

Reply by Saul Leibowitz on 2/3/13 11:31am
Msg #453777

original point

Well, I have learned a lot from these posts about things dealing with miiltary, but so far I have only learned that Texas in addition to Illinois gives you a sticker to put on the back of your license to renew.
Any other states that we know of?
Thanks,

Reply by jba/fl on 2/3/13 12:13pm
Msg #453785

Florida issues stickers for back of DL to renew n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 2/3/13 12:21pm
Msg #453786

They do? I got a whole new license..renewed by mail..

got an entirely new license good for 8 years...

Reply by jba/fl on 2/3/13 12:35pm
Msg #453790

They used to. Hmmm.....perhaps new method, I don't

know. Something to do with the Go=Get=Gather Real ID (like what was the other one?) Did they have the capability to store the photo before?

Anyway, I had to get rid of my Forever Young DL last time I renewed - it had so many stickers, but I sure looked good.

Reply by BrendaTx on 2/3/13 1:01pm
Msg #453794

Re: original point

To be responsible here, I should add that Texas DLs have taken on a new format. I believe that it may be possible that if your DL is not in the new format, you will not receive a sticker, you will receive a new DL with the old picture on it.

It was like Saul described for the last 15 years, though. Just had mine renewed and had to appear in person.

Reply by Saul Leibowitz on 2/3/13 10:56pm
Msg #453856

Re: original point

Thanks to all for the answers on point and the interesting views off point.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.