Notary Rotary
2 Doctors with signature stamps
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Vicky58 on 5/19/13 12:04pm
Msg #470502

I had a signing yesterday with a married couple, both Drs. that sat down at the table with signature stamps. I explained to them that they couldn't use the stamps on the docs and they said if these are good enough for prescriptions they should be good enough for you. I explained that I needed original sigs and in blue ink per my instructions. They were not happy but started signing or should I say scribbling on the docs (nothing was legible) I asked if they were signing their names as written on the docs, they both said they were. Then we get to the AKA, 2 pages for each. They had immigrated from a different country and had changed their names to more American names. The form listed their original names and they had a fit about it. They proceeded to explain to me that those were no longer their names and they didn't want to sign that way. I explained to them that they had been known by those names just like a married woman that was asked to sign with her maiden name or a name she had used in a previous marriage. Anyway, they started signing but every sig appeared to be the same. I just had to go back and do a new AKA this week because a wife signed her whole middle name where it had just listed her middle initial on the AKA and I was told I should have caught it. So my question is how do you handle these situations?

Reply by sueharke on 5/19/13 12:16pm
Msg #470503

I wouldn't have been able to catch that either. You gave the BO the instructions and she chose not to listen. Title and the LO should have talked to the BO to make sure the instructions you gave were correct and please follow them.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/19/13 12:18pm
Msg #470504

Been there, done that! I think you'll be fine since nobody can *read* their signatures.

Also, I can understand why you had to go back for the wife who signed her whole middle name when the lender wanted just her MI on the AKA and, yes, you should have caught that. Because if the lender could read it, so could you. Didn't you tell her to sign "exactly" as her name was printed? Blah blah blah....

Anyway, back to the doctors: Sounds like you handled it well. I would have been running out of patience wth them from the get-go with their "if it's good enough for Rx ...." remark. I like your explanation why they had to sign the AKA even though those were no longer their names.

The point is that they signed pages of AKAs with the same squiggly signature ... nothing you can do about that ... that I know of. You can't tell them to write "legibly." Maybe the lender can! In any case, I've had that happen many times where borrower signed each AKA exactly the same way (unreadable) and have never had it rejected.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/19/13 1:43pm
Msg #470511

I wouldn't have gone back out unless they paid me...

you CANNOT make anyone do anything. You give the instructions, they didn't follow it pure and simple. You would have been paid your fee regardless because you provided the instruction. Must have been a Provident loan.
I had a Surgeon want to give me his Dr/Surgeon certification/ID WHATEVER number for I.D. and I didn't accept it.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/19/13 2:13pm
Msg #470514

Right-O, JD ....

... you can't "make" them do anything, BUT, it's no excuse for letting them kiss off your instructions. If the borrower absolutely refuses to follow lender-required signing instructions, then contact hiring agency and let them wrestle with the idiots, or have borrowers sign a statement that they refused to follow your instructions or even adjourn the signing (if you know for sure through experience with certain lenders that continuing will result in a redraw or return trip.)

Borrowers are generally supposed to sign their names exactly as printed on an AKA. If you can read their signature and you "let" them sign incorrectly, hoping no one will notice, then you likely will pay the consequences... a return trip on your dime. This is just MO, of course.

BTW: Didn't I just PM you something about continued posts on NR? Hmmmmm (LOL) Besides, I thought you were painting!

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/19/13 4:28pm
Msg #470529

Re: Right-O, JD ....I'm finished for today! n/m

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/19/13 1:56pm
Msg #470513

Unfortunately, the AKA instructions are very specific that they need to be signed exactly as printed. In this case, yes, it would be a return on your dime. IMO

As far as their original names, I have encountered this past. In fact, a few weeks ago. The couple were from Bangladesh and took new names when they entered the US. When it came to the AKA statement, they printed their other names and signed them in their native signature. Obviously, I don't have any idea if they were correct; however, the document was not rejected.

I always pay special attention to this document and look at each signature for each name before I notarize it. If they sign wrong, I have them cross off the misspelled signature, initial and re-write above it. Made one mistake a few years ago on this sheet and had to drive over an hour each way to correct it. I also paid the shipping for the return trip. I learned the hard way. It is always better to check before leaving the table at all closings.

Reply by Jim/AL on 5/19/13 2:55pm
Msg #470516

Agree with JoJo & GoldGirl...your fault your dime n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 5/19/13 2:24pm
Msg #470515

I explain to the borrower that they either follow instructions or the loan won't fund. If they continue to fuss I start picking up everything to leave. As soon as I do that they straighten out and comply with the requests usually. Otherwise, I call title let them know what is happening and leave. I refuse to waste my time with arrogant borrower's that believe they can do what ever they want and behave rudely.

Reply by Vicky58 on 5/19/13 3:01pm
Msg #470517

I appreciate all of your comments, I would just like to add a few things. I always explain to the borrowers the importance of signing how the lender wants the docs signed. In my first example I was also dealing with a 4 year old that had his elbow, knee pads and helmet on, wanting to go for a bike ride. The parents kept telling him they would take him as soon as "this lady leaves", so he started running over to me yelling "leave lady leave". All I could say was as soon as your parents finish signing this paperwork I will leave.
#2. As far as the AKA that I had to go back to resign, I did give directions on how to sign. The first thing that happened is that I arrived on time and the husband informed me his wife was taking a shower and we should proceed without her. I told him it would take extra time and I had been instructed not to take the docs out of order, we did what we could before she came in with her hair wrapped in a towel. She then signed a few docs then told me she had to go dry her hair before it frizzed all up. That was another 15 minutes, then she came back and we continued the signing until she told me she need to go to the restroom, 15 minutes later she came out with full make-up on and asked what she needed to do because I was making her late for her lunch date at the clubhouse with the girls. She then flew thru the papers and yes I did not catch the difference in her signature on the AKA. Then after I was called to go back for my error on the AKA, she told me it was her husbands fault because he was the one that had set up the time just to make her late for her lunch date with the girls. All in all a signing that should have been done in 1 hour, I spent over 3 hours on with driving time, because of lack of communication between husband and wife.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/19/13 3:16pm
Msg #470519

<<< The first thing that happened is that I arrived on time and the husband informed me his wife was taking a shower and we should proceed without her. .....She then signed a few docs then told me she had to go dry her hair before it frizzed all up. That was another 15 minutes, then she came back and we continued the signing until she told me she need to go to the restroom, 15 minutes later she came out with full make-up on and asked what she needed to do because I was making her late for her lunch date at the clubhouse with the girls.>>>

Smiling, I would have told them both I have alloted X time for this appt and must leave at X time for my next appt, which means <looking at watch> we have X time left to complete the appt. Then I would have asked them both: "Would you like to reschedule this appt for a better time, or complete the signatures NOW???"

Leave the ball in THEIR court to decide if they are going to "take care of business" and sign or jeopardize their transactions with their silly shanigans.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/19/13 3:45pm
Msg #470523

I agree. n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/19/13 3:57pm
Msg #470525

s/b "shananigans" n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/19/13 6:01pm
Msg #470535

Or, maybe "shenanigans" ? :) n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/19/13 7:30pm
Msg #470539

Re: Or, maybe "shenanigans" ? :)

Sadly, the spell checker didn't correct me...;-((

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/19/13 7:37pm
Msg #470540

Yep and I had to look it up b/c I knew it was not

right. I used to be a great speller. I am not a great speller any more b/c of spell check.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 5/19/13 8:47pm
Msg #470542

Re: Yep and I had to look it up b/c I knew it was not

I never use spell check. I would rather proofread. Most of the time, I catch my errors.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/19/13 11:52pm
Msg #470546

spellinng is not a difficlt thing to do heerre as the built-in spel cheker flags one as thye proceeedd.

Reply by Kathleen Bagley on 5/20/13 1:33pm
Msg #470594

I would have walked after a call to SC at the AKA. When it smells like trouble form the get go - no good can come.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/19/13 3:52pm
Msg #470524

Oooohhhh, Vicki .... you're too nice (for your own good)!

Been there, done that, too! The second anyone says the "s" word to me (shower), the gate comes down. I'm done with showering borrowers and all their rudeness and silliness. Suggestion of a reschedule was in order before you even unpacked your notary supplies. That way, they rescheduled or you got them both the table to stay and sign.

I think you need to toughen up. First of all, don't even talk to the stupid kids .. unless they're actually being polite and sweet ... definitely not when they're screaming "leave lady leave." (Wasn't that a Bob Dylan song?) You're not paid to accommadte a rude brat.

Of course you told the wife how to sign but it's still "your fault" that you didn't catch ms. frizzy hair's signature.

You spent over 3 hours not "because of lack of communication between husband and wife" but because you didn't control the signing. We've all been there. Another lesson learned and confirmed!

Reply by Vicky58 on 5/19/13 8:00pm
Msg #470541

Re: Oooohhhh, Vicki .... you're too nice (for your own good)!

Thanks for all of your comments, I will try to do better in the future without offending anyone and keep both the signing co., title, and lender happy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.