Notary Rotary
2 hour signings...
Notary Discussion History

2 hour signings...
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 5/20/13 1:56am
Msg #470550

2 hour signings...

So one of my appointments for this Tuesday called me back to confirm. I told her I would be there around 9am. She goes on to tell me that she needs to leave for work by 11am and wants to know if I could come earlier. She mentioned that her neighbor just did a re-fi signing and the process took over 2 hours.

I couldn't help but laugh and told her that we would take no more than 30 minutes. I would love to know what some of these NPs are doing for 2 hours during a signing...

Reply by Karla/OR on 5/20/13 2:19am
Msg #470551

I had one closing last three hours!!! Not something a notary wants to have happen every day, but it DOES happen. This particular BO read every stinken word, including all 15 pages of the DEED!!! She was not going to sign without making sure of what the docs contained, in spite of the fact that I explained the RTC period to her. Nightmare to say the least!

It does not necessarily have anything to do with ". . . what some of these NP's are doing for 2 hours"!!! Who knows what went on during the neighbors closing. I'm just saying I would not be so quick to blame the "NP."

Reply by 101livescan on 5/20/13 1:17pm
Msg #470589

WOW is all I have to say. I will tell the borrower they can read til their heart's content. They have three days. If they still insist on reading every word, I let them know I am unable to spend the time sitting in their home or office, or a title company office, I will be attending to my next however many signings are on my calendar for the day, and they can call me when they are satisfied and ready to sign.

REALLY, who has time to sit. It's not a reading appointment, it's a signing appointment.

Professionals need to take control of the signing event and not let things get out of control.

Two hours is out of control. JMHO.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/20/13 4:19pm
Msg #470634

For a refi, 2 hours is pretty lengthy...unless it's a gigantic package, but when you're talking about those signings where there is no rescission period, you have to allow more time.

I know if a notary ever came to MY house and said we had to move things along because they had to be somewhere else, I'd stop right there and let them just mozy on along. I'm paying them to be there, ultimately, and I don't deserve to be told I'm taking up to much of anyone's time...when it's MY time and MY dime why they are there.

As such, I never, ever say that to anyone, unless it's really ridiculous and out of control... but then, I always allow enough of a time buffer so that I don't overbook or have to appear to be in a rush. Of course, in my particular situation, it's rare that I have to do that, because the real time buffer I need is for travel more than anything else.

That's just me... I treat them the way I'd want to be treated if I were having them in MY home. They all know up front that if they want to go faster or slower all they need to do is say so.

I don't think 2 hours is always out of control. Everyone that I've had go that long, there were reasons for it... many out of my control. Just about all of them were loans with no RTC.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/20/13 5:03pm
Msg #470644

Just for the record, I tell people when I call to confirm the appointment, that the signing will normally take 30-40 minutes if it's 100-150 pages, little longer if more.

That way they know what to expect.

I'm not coming for Sunday dinner or croquet, I'm just coming to help them sign their loan docs. I could never spend two hours on one appointment. That is simply absurd.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/20/13 2:46am
Msg #470552

Every one is different...

Frankly, I find 30 minutes to be WAY too short an amount of time, but that's just me. It can happen, but that's hardly the norm. I'd say an hour is usual... but I always tell people to allow 60-90 minutes, that way they are always happy when it takes on the lower end. It can take less...it can take more...each situation is different and I'd NEVER tell anyone it would only take 30 minutes. I think it's better to under promise and over perform than the other way around.

I had a 2 hour one the other day. It was a purchase, therefore, no RTC. You have to allow more time for those. The buyer was a person who hasn't purchased a home in over 20 years and wanted to know everything being signed, and was asking a lot of questions. To add to that, it was done at a restaurant in low light... the borrower's choice, not mine.

It didn't bother me... I set the pace according to each situation. I tell them to tell me if I'm going to fast or too slow to tell me. I certainly never tell them it'll only take "no more than 30 minutes." That makes my eyebrows raise more than somebody taking 2 hours. it's VERY rare that a complete loan signing takes 30 minutes or less.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/20/13 5:37am
Msg #470554

Re: Every one is different...

Hard to give anyone a time unless docs in hand and you can see how large the package is. I always allow 45 minutes give or take, and always depends on if you have a "reader" or issues at the table. A long closing for me is 1 hour plus.

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/20/13 6:42am
Msg #470555

Been doing this for 20+ years so during the confirmation call to B, I usually DO give them a time-involved guesstimate--which varies by lender/loan type--because that's when you'll find out that the LO told 'em 15 minutes and/or they have to be somewhere 1/2 hour after you are scheduled to arrive.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/20/13 8:03am
Msg #470556

Re: Every one is different...Ditto Lee

I also give them an estimate during confirmation because that's when you find out how many bwr and the since of urgency. More than 1/2 my signing are in trust with subordination agreements. I will tell them pleas allow 1 - 1 1/4 hours.

I put my phone on the table and start my timer (it's a point of amusement for the borrowers). The quiciest I've ever done a signing (seven years) is 38 mins. Longest, almost 2/1/2 hours...I would never rush a borrower, too important to them to understand what's going on. IMO

Reply by bagger on 5/20/13 11:59am
Msg #470573

MY fastest!

13 Minutes from the time I sat down.
BO was a LO supervisor for Guaranteed rate.
He said " Just put your pile in front of me, I'll sign, you stamp!

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/20/13 12:52pm
Msg #470584

Re:Heck Bagger, it takes me a minute to give the oath! n/m

Reply by Carmela Arndt on 5/20/13 8:51am
Msg #470559

Agree with Marian, most loan packages are getting larger

It takes 5 mins to enter Id info in journal, add 100 - 175 pages, 6-8 notarizations x 2.
1 hr. would be the very minimum.

Reply by ananotary on 5/20/13 9:01am
Msg #470560

Mine average 30 minutes. Obviously there are exceptions. n/m

Reply by sealed/CA on 5/20/13 9:47pm
Msg #470665

I agree with Marian. I would never want anyone to feel rushed. I always allow 1 1/2 hours per signing with a two hour window between signings if possible, because you just never know. Today I had a pkg. of 187 pgs. that only took 1/2 hour but that was because they had just purchased recently and were familiar with the docs.
However, I had two signings both in the same week that took 3 hours each. Yep! They both happened to be auditors and they had to read the fine print on everything. Both signed everything without a problem but they are trained to read everything and will not sign unless they do. I was lucky because in both cases, they were the last signing of the day. Whew!

Reply by ME/NJ on 5/20/13 9:07am
Msg #470562

If everything goes well here is how you can base time on package size.

under 100 pages -15-20 minutes

100-120 pages 30-40 minutes

175 and up can run 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/20/13 9:11am
Msg #470563

I had a borrower once that was livid because I was 10 minutes late. It turns out he had signed the documents previously with a totally incompetent notary that took 4 hours, including over 30 minutes solely to complete her journal. Wow.

My typical signing takes 45 minutes. The fastest is about 25 and a worst case scenario is about 1 hr 15 min.

Reply by Jim/AL on 5/20/13 11:34am
Msg #470570

Wow...some really varied timelines, kinda understand on some

Fastest closing 10-12 minutes Quicken. I have had some people say out right just show me where to sign...still explain note and TIL at the very least.
Longest 2.5 hours...borrower used 3or4 names, docs drawn with 2 completely different names, borrower a hoarder and very mentally challenged, schizo.
I average 25-30 minutes with the 100-125 standard package size...45 or so for 150-200.

Reply by Tim Cameron on 5/20/13 12:34pm
Msg #470580

I did a reverse MTG a few days ago, 90 minutes, part of that was the husband was so old, he took forever to sign his name

Reply by Kathleen Bagley on 5/20/13 1:34pm
Msg #470595

Having coffe of course Wink and losing money.

Reply by Raimond on 5/20/13 1:34pm
Msg #470597

What I call "Shove and Sign" notaries. Not a "Signing Agent" at all. The ones that brag about 30-40 min signings as the norm.

I had one of these so called "Signing Agents" one time many years ago before I became a SA. He could not wait to get to the end and the escrow company heard about it from me. After he thought he was done, I took the pack and reviewed every page before he left, he would have been better off going over it as we signed.

Do I close loans in less than an hour? Yes, but not my normal time frame. I tell the BO 90 mins and let them know how we are doing as we progress. They have the opportunity to speed up the signing if they wish.

I complete a lot of VA loans and being a 24 year Veteran, I spend the amount of time necessary to complete the loan with them enjoying the experience, understanding the loan and they appreciate the time I spend. Some VA loans take more than 2 hours because of all the redundant forms (200+ pages) but I charge more for them. Most BO's thank me and tell their LO/EO about the experience. Of course I have the time to invest as I do not need to close 3+ loans a day to survive.

There is a new SA in my area with a standard statement of "I'm only here to notarize". She is so fast the BO's call her "rude". But thats how she chooses to conduct her signings...

Ever wonder why to get certified by any agency you need to understand the loan forms well enough to pass their exam? The agency expects you to present the form, not "shove and sign here".

Everyone has their own "business strategy", however, don't put down someone elses just because it's not the way you choose to do business. This model has worked well for me for 8 years now.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 5/20/13 1:45pm
Msg #470599

Re: 2 hour signings.CA notaries have more to do, others less

If your state requires you to make a complete line for every doc notarized (I know the debate goes both ways on this for CA, but many choose to do this) then of course it will take them a lot longer to conduct a signing than someone who can use the NotRot journal and circle all the docs that were notarized, write in any that aren't already preprinted in the journal, and just have one complete journal line per borrower.

That doesn't mean that someone who takes less time than them does a "point and sign" - they could be really good at summarizing the docs quickly and maybe have borrowers who like to zip thru the docs.

I try to go at a pace that keeps the borrower's happy AND me happy, so the longest time I ever had was almost 2 hours - huge, over 200 page VA package, and lady had to sign as herself and POA for her overseas husband, so we went slower so her hand wouldn't cramp up!

Reply by Raimond on 5/20/13 1:53pm
Msg #470602

I once spent 10 min with a Dr, he fit me in between patients. That does not mean thats the time I was at his office completing the journal and notarizations. Still took 45 mins at the office.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/20/13 2:07pm
Msg #470604

<<"That doesn't mean that someone who takes less time than them does a "point and sign" - they could be really good at summarizing the docs ">> Like Smile

Some of us are way more wordier than others. May stem back from school days when essays were counted that way! When I didn't have time to read the novel and just read the Cliff notes, Everybody suffered (and I mean everybody)! Poor teachers just KNEW when we were bluffing and didn't have a clue what was in the literature . . . equally hard to bluff borrowers these days, too

Reply by Raimond on 5/20/13 2:24pm
Msg #470608

There are lots of SA's that take less time than I do, not saying all are doing S&S. On end of the month I take less time too. What I am saying is those that brag about 30-40 signings as the norm are not not considering the BO's position.

Buying a home is the biggest investment most of us make. When its a re-fi the BO does have in most cases a 3 day RTC. However, in my experience, many BO's remember that their friend, neighbor, co-worker lost their home because they did not read the loan closely enough during the 2006-2008 time frame. The loan officer today still has to deal with the BO's memory of that time period when dealing with a home purchase or a re-fi.

When I take the time to point out the terms/fees on the note and the HUD(first two forms I present), the BO's relaxes some and it goes well after that. A three minute process/investment.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/20/13 2:21pm
Msg #470607

In addition to the factors mentioned by other posters, what I find can really slow things down is forms requesting information from the signers that the signers weren't warned about. List all your previous marriages, the dates and places of marriage and divorce, etc. Your homeowner's insurance policy number. Your real estate tax due dates. And so on. Often if the signer calls and challenges if the information is really needed, their told to just skip it, it can be filled in from information already on hand at the title company. But calling and asking takes time too.

Reply by Raimond on 5/20/13 4:01pm
Msg #470633

Or two grant deeds (out and into a trust) along with a trust certification that were not disclosed when hired.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/20/13 4:28pm
Msg #470636

They never are, Raimond! n/m

Reply by Kate/PA on 5/20/13 4:43pm
Msg #470638

my signings take between 50 minutes to 90 minutes depending on package & borrowers. I hade a three hour signing Friday only because the borrowers insisted on reading over the whole package before we started AND there lack of English language skills really delayed things.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.