Notary Rotary
A little trick I use to save gas, and works 70% of the time
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Joeycaps on 5/21/13 9:12am
Msg #470688

about a year ago I wanted to beat the high gas prices so I started doing something I never thought of and wish I had sooner. I ask the borrowers to meet me, either at my home office, a coffee shop where I know the one's that aren't busy and low and behold 7 out of 10 borrowers have no problem meeting me at one of the above mentioned. the one's that say no, I say ok no problem and meet them at their home. I have saved a ton of gas and have never had a problem. As I said< I ask the borrowers politely if they would like to meet at the places I mentioned and most readily agree. I live less then a mile from a non-busy coffee shop, and a Wendy's and restaurant that sits empty except during lunch and dinner and since I eat at both places and friendly and have notarized for management in the restaurants, they have no problem with me bringing clients into the signing. I always buy the borrowers a cup of coffee and it saves me a fortune in gas and gives a little business to these empty restaurants. Give it a try.

Reply by anotaryinva on 5/21/13 9:14am
Msg #470689

How does the hiring co feel about this? n/m

Reply by Joeycaps on 5/21/13 9:31am
Msg #470694

Re: How does the hiring co feel about this?

I've closed about 300 loans in the year ive done this and I haven't gotten a complaint from anyone, but when I accept a closing I don't say anything to the signing company, I ask the borrowers, however if the signing company want to complain then I would be tacking on a gas/mileage fee.

Reply by LisaWI on 5/21/13 11:40am
Msg #470745

Re: How does the hiring co feel about this?

So let me get this straight, your accepting lowball offers, but to make up for it, you are in turn, asking the borrowers to meet you instead of going to their house?

Yep, lets degrade our services and keep the lowballers in business........

Wow!!

I hope the good SS's and Title Companies that are reading this know that the majority of us would not even think of doing this.........

Reply by Jim/AL on 5/21/13 9:23am
Msg #470691

1-No coffee allowed. 2-Hiring party would not be 2 happy. n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/22/13 11:18am
Msg #470885

Re: 1-No coffee allowed. 2-Hiring party would not be 2 happy.

A couple of times, at borrowers request, I have met them at other places than their homes. One of them was at a McDonalds. There is very little room at those tables to comfortably present loan docs. Another one was at a restaurant at lunch time!! Borrower wanted me to meet him there on his lunch hour, and to sign papers while eating lunch! I was so afraid of getting the docs messed up but luckily was able to keep them away from the food. He said this was the only time he could sign, he was leaving town right after lunch on a business trip. He did pay for lunch, and it was a nice restaurant, and he was - as the young ones would say "hot", so it was a pleasant signing.
But these were entirely for the borrowers convenience. I much preferred going to the borrowers homes (although there were some I would rather not have gone to).
Signing agents are for the borrowers convenience, not the signing agents convenience. And if you are going to advertise 24/7 anywhere, anytime then you need to follow through on that claim.
As a signing service I would not have called JoeyCaps for a signing after reading his post. I would want a signing agent who put the borrower first and not himself to save a few cents on gas.

Reply by LisaWI on 5/21/13 9:24am
Msg #470692

Ummmm, I would not do this, one of the main purposes of our visit TO the signers, is to make it convenient for them and this would not be convenience........and just to note.......just because they SAY they dont have a problem with it, doesnt mean they are being honest with you as they probably want to sign their documents desperately so they comply with your request........

My honest opinion is, by you doing this, you are not doing what you are hired to do........

Ive done this twice in 7 and half years, both times, we had severe snowstorms that was making travel quite difficult and the signers lived in very remote areas......

Reply by Roger_OH on 5/21/13 9:34am
Msg #470698

Your fee includes travel TO the borrowers...

it's for THEIR convenience, not yours.

The hiring company expects you to fulfill their instructions, and if you are collecting a fee without the required travel to their customer that they have hired you for, then a) it's an unethical practice, and b) you've violated their instructions, as the company has already told the borrowers you will come to them.

Reply by sueharke on 5/21/13 10:56am
Msg #470721

The few times I have used this method is a location where the roads require a 4-wheel drive vehicle (that I do not have). Also, the roads are dark at night and not main roads. I don't feel safe driving on these roads, so I ask the people to meet at a common meeting point for my safety. If they say "no", then I suggest the SS get another notary.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/21/13 9:32am
Msg #470695

OMG! I can't believe this. I'm surprised you're still in

business. The whole concept of this biz is to meet with the borrowers at their home, or at a place of THEIR convenience, not yours.
Please don't take this advice, folks.

Reply by Jack/AL on 5/21/13 9:59am
Msg #470706

Re: OMG! I can't believe this. I'm surprised you're still in

The order assignment sheets I receive after accepting the orders via phone tell me the SIGNING LOCATION. Many title companies and signing services have specific comments in their instructions that tell me to not change the location or time of signing, without their permission. I change ehen they tell me to, or when the borrowers ask (for their convenience). Do you not receive such instructions?

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/21/13 11:38am
Msg #470742

Hiring parties read these forums, you're gonna save lots gas n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/21/13 9:33am
Msg #470696

Question - have you adjusted your fee to reflect

no travel or minimal travel?

I will do this when it's suggested by the borrower. I do not suggest this otherwise. I, personally, do not like the non-privacy issue of closing in public places.

JMO

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/21/13 10:37am
Msg #470709

Re: Question - have you adjusted your fee to reflect

Our fees are supposed to be all-inclusive. That is why we ask all pertinent questions when scheduling call comes in. Take into account travel, printing, fax/scan-backs, package size (not only for printing but to get an idea who long signing will take), etc.

JoeyCaps, your post makes me wonder what fees you negotiate .... hmmmmmmmmmm

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/21/13 9:45am
Msg #470705

Guess you better change your profile..

"Will go anywhere anytime 24/7. "

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/21/13 10:17am
Msg #470708

It doesn't include a syphon does it? n/m

Reply by Frank/NC on 5/21/13 1:15pm
Msg #470770

When the TC and SS read this you may not even need a car.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/21/13 1:19pm
Msg #470771

Well, let's see..... I can save time by not calling the

borrowers to confirm, save paper by not printing a copy for them & giving them a disk instead, etc., etc., etc. It's all about the same kind of reasoning.
IMO,this is why we have so many problems in this industry. Too many think that because they are independent contractors they can make up their own rules. :-(

Reply by Luckydog on 5/21/13 1:55pm
Msg #470783

This is just wrong, and cannot believe you would even post anything like this. Only in an emergency situation would you ever suggest going to another location....late evening, the realtors office was closed, or the buyer not comfortable with you going to their house, THEY suggest someplace else close to them. Not you close to your house. Wow. The whole point is making it easy on them, not saving your gas, or buying them coffee, or promoting your local businesses. Does your "non busy coffee shop" have a waitress? I hope you leave them a nice tip for taking up their tables for an hour while they are not making any money off of you.

Reply by ikando on 5/21/13 2:42pm
Msg #470790

Another perspective

I've recently had a situation where the docs were late getting to me. Upon discussion with the signer, because his home was some distance in a direction opposite from the pre-arranged signing venue (the office of a third party, non-signer, involved in the transaction), and that home was located in a rural area difficult for me to get to, the borrower and I agreed to meet at a point between us. Keep in mind, the docs were not ready when the conversation occurred, but I didn't contact the hiring party because it did not seem as relevant to them at that point as to the two of us.

Bad weather, (I've had to make 2 trips in deep snow, with no additional compensation or even a thank you), late docs, situations changing, I figure that accommodating the borrower is the more important aspect of my job than following the generic instructions of an SS. I always ask if the borrower is comfortable with any option I suggest, either for a time change (late docs, remember), or a change in meeting place. But the hiring party is a low consideration for me in those situations.

Other situations mentioned on other threads include those homes that are too dirty, too crowded, too allergy-inducing, etc. for the notary, when the signer is asked to adjust the venue. Are those situations to be reported to the hiring party, too? Seems like that would be a lot of effort with little (any?) financial reward.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/22/13 2:38am
Msg #470852

Re: Another perspective

None of the situations you describe seem to be about "saving gas". I think you're talking apples and oranges with the OP.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/21/13 7:37pm
Msg #470825

IMO there's no point in posting on this forum if you can't

handle criticism. BTW, the p/m with name-calling, etc., is not acceptable to me. ;-(

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/22/13 2:47am
Msg #470853

For the record, no one is agreeing with you, including me.

I once heard a wise person say that when you tell a joke at someone else's expense, just because they're laughing doesn't mean they think it's funny. Just because some people are willing to agree with your request doesn't mean they have no problem with it.

In fact, I'd bet that at least 3 or 4 of the 7 who agree aren't thrilled with the idea, but either they don't know they have a choice or they don't want to rock the boat with the person who has been entrusted with the loan documents for which they've been jumping through hoops for weeks to get to this point.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/22/13 10:25am
Msg #470879

Joeycaps = Joe Anatucci, Chico CA (basic member)

For anyone interested in his profile.

Joey: Got your PM. Why not bring it public? You started on a public forum. Surely you can rationalize publicly.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/22/13 10:52am
Msg #470881

Thanks. Why is that the cowards always remain anonymous,

but respond with nasty p/m's. He called me a "loser". I guess I am if I spend my time reading posts like this. ;-) LOL

Reply by jba/fl on 5/22/13 11:34am
Msg #470888

Not in the least - cowards at bottom of my list.

It is so despicable when someone does this - outing them is a good thing as it alerts others to just ignore them in the future. Start in public, finish in public. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean manners have to leave the room.

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/22/13 11:09am
Msg #470884

I've met borrowers at fast food places three times and it was their request. I think I was more uncomfortable than they were.

The problem in doing this - there is a lack of privacy. You have to stop and think if you request they meet you, you are the one putting them in an uncomfortable position whether they admit it or not. I, personally, would not want my private business talked about in public.

The next problem is - we accept a signing and it specifically states an address where the closing is to take place. We are not permitted to change the date and time unless this is discussed with the signing company. I'm with some of the others that have posted, I really don't this the SS would be happy with this arrangement.

Tacking on a fee for gas usage, good luck. You are accepting the signing at a fee which you have established to cover all of your expenses.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.