Notary Rotary
A new perspective
Notary Discussion History

A new perspective
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 5/2/13 9:05pm
Msg #468449

A new perspective

Just spent the last two long days negotiating a new car purchase. I had to get rid of my SUV. It was getting 18 mpg. I was spending about $800 a month in gas. Plus it was 114K miles. Already replaced all tires $740. Then had a major blow out on one tire and that cost me $302 emergency tire purchase. Then another tire had a slow leak. All brakes replaced..then it started snowballing with major service being needed and costly. So I went in a negotiated a new fuel efficient 2012 sedan. Cant wait to see my new savings. Since my car payment is lower and my insurance premium stayed the same.

The salesman said I was a tough customer because I didnt take their word, I had to see the numbers, have it printed out, needed a couple days to look over, walked out twice on them. They caved to my demands. I told them since working as a NSA, Im a tad bit more knowledgeable about reading what I sign and seeing all the numbers written down and no junk fees included. Plus this isnt my first car purchase...this happened to be my 4th one. So Im proud to say Im finally green!!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program..(Scandal is on)

Reply by CarolF/NC on 5/2/13 9:22pm
Msg #468451

And what did u get and u are interrupting

Scandal. Love it.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 10:10pm
Msg #468456

Sedan, with as much time as you live in your auto?

Now see, on the Auto Buy channel some fatigued dealer is over there screaming that this "know-it-all lowballing notary", or "notarywhatchamacallit-agent", "signingsomethingmajig" just cost him that luxury trip to Kauai . . .

Seriously, CONGRATS Toni!!

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 10:18pm
Msg #468461

Re: Sedan, with as much time as you live in your auto?

Im pretty sure. But its used so Im sure they paid wholesale for it and made a bit of profit. Might not have made enough to hit up Maui or Kauai lls but Im pretty sure he can pay his rent and buy groceries.

Its the beginning of the month. He has 29 more days to get at least 2 chumps to pay for his trip!

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 10:23pm
Msg #468464

Im pretty sure he can pay his rent and buy groceries.

OOOHH, girl - you 'bout to get it Now!! Lol!

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 10:30pm
Msg #468466

oh wait he had to split his commission with

the other salesman who took the tags off my old car and put it on my new car. The one I was dealing with today was his day off. lol I said dang, he has to split commission with a guy who just told me to take a seat and took off the tags? Id be MAD!!!! I had to split my commission and I was the one who had to deal with this difficult customer.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 10:36pm
Msg #468469

Re: oh wait he had to split his commission with

Same way in Real Estate. You market that old house for 120 days, decide to take a weekend vacation and what happens? The call comes through that a buyer wants to make an offer. Now another agent in your office is doing the happy dance because she accepted the offer in your behalf Smile

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 10:39pm
Msg #468470

I told you. Lights out for me! n/m

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 10:15pm
Msg #468457

Re: And what did u get and u are interrupting

lol I got a 2012 Nissan Altima SE...not exactly completely green BUT the fuel cost will be severely lowered compared to my gas guzzler. This is my 3rd Altima. Even test drove an Altima hybrid. The price was right BUT the mileage was already high...33k. I said at that rate Id be pushing 70K next year on that hybrid!!! lol

Reply by Linda Juenger on 5/2/13 10:35pm
Msg #468468

And this is EXACTLY WHY we bit**, moan ,complain to anyone and everyone we can about getting our fees lowered, lowball. You beat that salesman, dealership down to a pulp to where they did not make anything. My son sells cars and do you realize that he makes about $100 commission on a new Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge. Yep, a measly $100. The dealership makes about that much also. He loses money on a customer like you. If he spent that much time with you over the course of a couple days going over #'s, etc etc he maybe made minimum wage on a customer like you. Tell me how that is fair?

Granted, never pay sticker price. That's a suggested retail amt. I understand that, but stop and think about what you did to that dealership and salesman and what is happening to US in our business. I bet you are proud of yourself getting the deal you did and that's exactly what companies are saying when they keep trying to get us down to bare bones where we can't make a profit. You did the exact same thing to someone else that is being done to us daily. They cycle will never be broken.

This country will never bounce back until EVERYONE makes a profit on what they do or sell. Beating down like Walmart does nothing but hurt a mom and pop store. I bet you shop Wal Mart too.

Sorry, your post just hit me the wrong way. I too am starting to look at vehicles as mine has 172,000 that gets 18mpg. I am getting another SUV Extended because I will NOT do without my 3rd seat. Love it and use it all the time. I can haul as much as a pickup.

This just happened to my husband's company also. Someone beat them out of a deal by 2 cents. 2 measly cents.

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 10:50pm
Msg #468473

I dont shop Walmart thank you very much

Im not even going to comment on your son lack of commission...They didnt have to sell me the car. Plain and simple. They couldve just said well obviously you dont want this car and we have others who do.

And Im still happy about my car and the process. #teamnewcar

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 10:56pm
Msg #468479

And for the record its called negotiations n/m

Reply by John Tennant on 5/2/13 11:27pm
Msg #468490

I was a Fixed Operations manager in auto dealerships for over 30 years.. If your son only get $100 per sale he need to find another dealer or another trade. Based on my experience most good dealership salesmen make a minimum of $40 K by their second year.

In my opinion Tony did exactly what everyone that goes into a dealership should do. JMHO

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/3/13 12:58am
Msg #468510

Agreed, John. When I bought my car last year, I took with me a friend who retired from selling cars for roughly 40 years - and retired quite comfortably. I was almost embarrassed by how hard he drilled the guys, knowing where the money is in the business.

But, Linda, you shouldn't feel at all bad for the dealership, at least. I was told that a big chunk of their profits come from rebates from the manufacturer that are based on volume of sales (i.e. # of cars sold). The higher the volume, the higher the rebate. Some of those salesmen - and dealerships - are doing extremely well, in spite of people driving a hard bargain. They know their numbers and aren't going to allow themselves to lose money. (Hmmmmm.... sounds like a good lesson!)

Reply by Kate/PA on 5/2/13 10:23pm
Msg #468465

Good 4 U!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.