Notary Rotary
Aargh! Machines!
Notary Discussion History

Aargh! Machines!
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Sandra G Holland on 5/28/13 9:03am
Msg #471428

Aargh! Machines!

Aside from the fact that my car has been in the shop a few times already this year, for repair of things I didn't even know existed, and besides the fact that I had to buy a new work camera because I wore the last one out (a job besides this one), and besides the fact that I am mad at my cell phone provider and the way my computer has a mind of its own:

I got a new printer because the old one was printing out many blank sheets, making inkspots on paper, and generally acting up. I couldn't afford to go to the big city to get a fancy, super-duper one so I shopped around locally. I was happy to find one that even has a local source for toner cartridges.

No one thought to mention to me and, since I had never heard of it, I did not look to see if I have to click on "legal" every time I change to that size paper. I wasted a ream or two before it imprinted upon my mind.

Walmart, my only local choice for printers, since the computer places didn't have what I needed, sells only the short-term toners. I still have to arrange to get others at the big city. Although the box says the toner will last for 1,500 +/-, in reality it is about 250 sheets per toner. So, the local source is only for emergency toners.

In the past, when the toner light started blinking, I would save that cartridge only for home copies, putting it in when I wasn't printing documents, until the toner was completely empty. I can't even do that now as the cartridge gives very little warning.

Now the new printer is putting in blank sheets on letter-sized paper ("blank" if you don't count inkspots in the same place) and inkspots on legal. I have cleaned the drum. As I said, I have gone through several toners. I do not know what to do next. Neither does the family member with a degree in computer science.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/28/13 9:25am
Msg #471431

For toner ...

click on the "Resources" tab above. You'll find 2 vendors. Personally, I prefer SuperMediaStore above the other. I would suggest you buy the high-yield version.

If your printer is grabbing more than 1 sheet at a time, you may want to fan the paper, from all sides, prior to loading printer.

Other than that, you may get additional help if you let us know make and model of printer. Maybe others have experienced same.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/28/13 10:57am
Msg #471437

Sandra...Amazon is your friend, too

I have found many printers on Amazon, new and refurbs. Warranted. Fast delivery, too.
Really, really reasonable prices, too.
Keep that in mind next time you consider buying a printer.
I am also not in a big city, so I shop a lot at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Printers-Office-Electronics/b?ie=UTF8&node=172648

Reply by Luckydog on 5/28/13 10:58am
Msg #471438

Best place to get everything I have found is Amazon.com...especially for toner
Live and learn, and deliver within 2-3 business days, and can read other's reviews on what they think before you buy. Cheaper than buying locally, generally no sales tax and free shipping.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 5/28/13 11:27am
Msg #471439

Check out CDW.com. Great customer service, very knowledgeabl

people, fair prices, and you can get whatever you need delivered right to your door.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 5/28/13 8:48pm
Msg #471517

Re: Check out CDW.com. Great customer service, very knowledgeabl

Fanning!! I used to do that when I had a business. I did it for the copy machine. I hadn't thought of it in a long time. I am always in such a rush. Thanks, Yoli. I just wonder why I didn't have to do it until the old machine was dying.

Thanks, everyone. I have never been on Amazon. I always thought it would be a dreaded nuisance to search, but I search all the time everywhere else. I don't use cards for payment, so I'll have to figure something out. I don't even use checks anymore.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 5/28/13 11:07pm
Msg #471536

Re: Check out CDW.com. Great customer service, very knowledgeabl

Some of your issue may be humidity, having never been in texas, I'm not sure. Closest was Louisiana in a Feb. and humidity was way high. When we used commercial color copiers even here in MN we stored our copy paper in sealed container with descicants (sp) to keep out humidity.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.