Notary Rotary
Another "we only teach you to pass" ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 2:37pm
Msg #468347

As some of you know, one of my biggest pet peeves about CA notary education requirements is that the process is SOOO long for us that by the time new notaries get their commissions, they've pretty much forgotten every ounce of their 'training'. It's no surprise that some come here asking the most basic of questions.

To that end, I also get annoyed with the education vendors who sell their services to "pass the exam" --- they are churning out test passers, that's it. They aren't actually training notaries or giving them any kind of education. They teach them in the one-day seminars... cram their heads with information held in short term memory just long enough to pass a test. Then it's gone!

It's a waste of time and money, IMO.

And today, I found yet another one... good 'ole xyz... admitting to this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=769780657046&set=o.87592989915&type=1&comment_id=2572030&offset=0&total_comments=4

Now, it's no surprise that they do this. I think we all know they do it. They aren't the only one. I can think of one teacher, in particular, that advertises that she teaches people how to pass the exam. Who cares about actually learning how to be a notary... we just want to pass the exam and get a stamp.

What's the point of all the education requirements if people just forget it... or go to vendors who don't care about training notaries... they just care about getting people to pass the test. A test, BTW... that only requires 70% to pass and still has a high fail rate.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 2:39pm
Msg #468348

Let me add... in case you can't access that FB page. They replied to a new CA notary who posted a 100% test letter (to get a free gift apparently):

"During the seminar we may have only gone over how to pass the exam; that's because we are required by law to only teach what's on the state exam."

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/2/13 2:44pm
Msg #468349

I'm sitting here ... just shaking my head. And to think, they had no compunction about posting that.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 2:46pm
Msg #468351

I know, right??? My jaw dropped when I read that. I mean, we all KNOW they do that, but now they admit to it outright, which isn't exactly like them.

I screen capped it anyway... just in case.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 3:28pm
Msg #468357

That is what I was taught in college by a great teacher. He explained how the real world worked and what decisions we might have to make in the future. He gave real life experiences and how they affected his decision making. He explained not to use real life in taking the test. He said to use ONLY what is in the book and solely in the book, even if it would mean losing your job because the client did not like the decision.

I think this is the same for the notary exam and these classes.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 5/2/13 3:41pm
Msg #468366

No offense to any CA notary on this board but there are more CA notaries that come here asking questions than any other state. So much for the training and exams. Feel for you.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/2/13 4:04pm
Msg #468385

"So much for the training and exams."

Not sure what your point is. Is it that new notaries in other states where there is no training at all know more than California notaries?? I seriously doubt that. A big part of it is simply because roughly 12% of all Americans live in California. There are just more people here than anywhere else by a significant margin. Another likely part is that our requirements are a little tougher than most, so there's probably a bit more concern about about "getting it right".

I do think that Marian has a point, but I don't think the fault is so much in "teaching to the exam" (there's not really enough time to do more than that in six hours), as it is in the lack of emphasis on the fact that their education just begins with the classes, it shouldn't end there. And it shouldn't mean going to an online forum and asking other people to help them out every time they run into something they don't know. IMO, new notaries should have it pounded into their heads that they are responsible for assimilating all notary law because they will be personally be held accountable for the results of their decisions and actions.

In all fairness, though, I don't think we can blame it all on the teachers. If a person's goal in attending the class is just to pass the test, that's as far as they're going to go regardless of what the teacher says. If their goal is to become the best notary they can be (I wonder what percent that represents... Wink), they will continue their studies on their own.

Before I became a loan signer, I had been a notary for two years already and I spent a couple of months studying and getting up to speed before I did my first signing. Then whenever I ran into something I wasn't sure about, I did more research and called my client if I wasn't able to find a definitive answer. I believe those steps made a big difference for me in my never-ending learning curve.

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 3:44pm
Msg #468369

I agree...especially in college, you only read whats in the book. Im a great test taker because I only read and retain what is specific to the test. The point is to pass the test. You learn real life experience by doing things in real life. Same goes with the school system for children. They have SOLs, they teach to those SOLs. The goal is to pass not fail. Prime example..no child left behind...teach to the test. been done for decades. This is nothing new!

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/2/13 3:51pm
Msg #468375

Like I posted earlier some vendors in Ca

(go to Ca SOS Website to see them) only charge $15 to $25 to teach someone to become a notary.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 3:55pm
Msg #468378

That's my point

They are NOT teaching anyone to be a notary... they're only teaching people how to pass a test. Once they pass this test, they sit around and wait for months.

Then they're let loose with absolutely zero to little recall of what they may have actually learned. It's dangerous and makes the "education" requirements a complete waste of time and money.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/2/13 4:08pm
Msg #468387

Re: That's my point

I don't think it's a complete waste. They have to start somewhere. But as you and I both have stated many times, it would be much more effective if there was a waiting period between the classes and the exam. That way the info would have to be absorbed beyond short-term memory and truly assimilated to some extent, at least.

Reply by Buddy Young on 5/2/13 4:20pm
Msg #468390

Re: It's because you have pride, Janet

You can teach till you're blue in the face but you can't make them learn.

I took my first 6 hour class and passed the sample test, then I continued to study for a few weeks till the state test came around because I have pride in what I do.

It's only partially teaching and it's partially learning.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 6:05pm
Msg #468406

Re: It's because you have pride, Janet

Yes, I've always felt that allowing people to take the exam immediately following the class is a tremendous disservice. I've always felt there should be a mandated waiting period between the completion of the course and the the exam... minimum of 2 weeks... because it forces the candidate to study the material. By studying more over a longer period of time, the rules are imprinted more in to the long-term memory, where it needs to be.

I fully understand the "convenience" factor for people, wanting to just bang it all out in a single day. Eh... for CA notaries, I call a bunch of bull on that. There is nothing convenient about the process for us. We have to wait forever... why not split up the education and the exam?

To me, that would also help weed out those who aren't entirely serious about obtaining a commission.

I don't buy the "timing" argument, either. State law allows says your educational completion is good for TWO YEARS.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/2/13 3:47pm
Msg #468371

My goodness. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.