Notary Rotary
Be truthful?
Notary Discussion History

Be truthful?
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Liz/OR on 5/29/13 2:21pm
Msg #471616

Be truthful?

It has happened to me a handful of times where I get an assignment, carry it through and then I get a call days later to let me know that this and that documents were missing or something is wrong and they want me to go back out. I always agree graciously that of course I will fix whatever it was I did. Then I get home and look at the documents. It's never been my fault, either they weren't in the package to begin with or they are different. I just wish that the SS and TC we work with could have the intestinal fortitude to admit they made a mistake when they ask us to go back out. But no, I always have to call them on it and ask for a fee to go out again.

It happened again today, it is the same song and dance. Please, be truthful, it shows good character and you will gain instead of lose respect.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/29/13 2:42pm
Msg #471621

That is why you must be 110% correct/knowledgeable/sure of what you're doing. Keep your Docs until you're paid....137 pages received 137 pages sent back. I had that happen once after that I won't go back out unless they prove I did something incorrectly.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 5/29/13 2:49pm
Msg #471624

I had a signing service (one that frequents this board) call me and tell me that I'd failed to notarize a document in the package and they needed me to go back to the borrower. Certainly, I will do that at no charge if I overlooked something...but I was baffled because I am very thorough. Very thorough.

"Oh, and while you're there, can you have a few docs signed that were left out of the package?" Now I smell3e a rat. They were trying to blame something on me so I'd make a free trip back and cover their butt. I did it...but I coded them in my phone so that I would never forget that it was not beneath this particular highly-rated signing service to take advantage of a good signing agent.

This situation happened about five years ago. I stopped doing signings last year. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/29/13 2:50pm
Msg #471625

I've never kept a copy of the docs until I was paid & don't

advise it. IMO it is a violation of GLBA. Also, I've been getting a lot of "Privacy Assurance" forms from cos. lately, specifically prohibiting downloading or storing docs on our computers. Many cos. go to great lengths for insure that docs are secure, and they don't have any control over that with our computers.
BTW, I feel the same way about my accounting records being stored in the Cloud. I don't want anyone, anywhere to have access to my info.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 2:53pm
Msg #471629

I do use the cloud for but not for personal info

And I agree that its not a good practice to hold onto docs.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/29/13 3:11pm
Msg #471637

I think it is irresponsible business practice (my business)

.... to delete all docs before the transaction is final.

It is beyond my comprehension that any business would delete all documents relating to a transaction immediately, thus having no documentation for followup purposes. I know for a fact that the TCs and attorneys I deal with never delete anything as it relates to their business ... especially based on some real or imagined privacy concerns. They can call up real estate transactions years and years old.

If you believe it is in your best interests to delete all traces of a business transaction at the earliest point possible, go for it.

If I did that I wouldn't know how to intelligently respond to a followup from my hiring agency if I had no trace of what I just did. I also wouldn't know how to track down payment if I needed to.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 3:34pm
Msg #471642

I meant to say *I do us the cloud but only for songs/MP3s* n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/29/13 2:57pm
Msg #471631

Re: I've never kept a copy of the docs until I was paid & don't

MW/VA How do you prove you never got the Doc they say you didn't include when you sent them back. Hmmm maybe that's why hiring parties forget to pay us sometimes, they delete our info or the signing we did for them before they paid us.

BTW If it's a secure site and you print from a web Gui, or course you don't have to download them.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/29/13 3:00pm
Msg #471633

I've never had to "prove" I didn't get a doc, and don't get

into agruments over such things. See my post below. It's up to them to "prove" I made an error, otherwise I get paid for a return trip.
Also, I don't work for cos. anymore that would cause me any concern for payment.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/29/13 3:01pm
Msg #471634

Sorry about the typo--I meant "arguments", of course. ;) n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/29/13 3:29pm
Msg #471640

Of course not, neither do I, but if the decision to keep or

not keep ( you brought up) is determined by the GLBA issue then I was just asking a simple question for clarification. Sorry!
O.K. OP, if you didn't omit anything and you're sure of it, make them pay to go back out and then don't work for them anymore.

Reply by Jodith/WA on 5/30/13 10:36pm
Msg #471770

Re: I've never kept a copy of the docs until I was paid & don't

It would only be a violation, in my opinion, if you don't have proper security in place. You need a good firewall. You need to reset the password on your internet modem (you have no idea how many modems come with a generic password and most people don't change them). You need to have a seperate log-in for each person using the computer, and PCs should be set with a password protected screensaver which comes up within 3-5 minutes of being idle. You need a very secure password (containing at least 8 characters including upper and lower caps, numbers and special characters). Encrypt the file you use for keeping the documents, again with a very strong password that is different from your log in password. Also, encrypt your backups. Oh, yes, get a good virus protection to protect against key loggers.

If you are taking proper precautions, you should not be in violation of privacy legislation. If you aren't taking proper security precautions, you shouldn't even be accepting documents, because just downloading docs on an insecure system can be intercepted.

Honestly,, considering that most of the TCs are sending documents out in unencrypted e-mail, I would guess that they are in serious violation of privacy rules already.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 2:47pm
Msg #471623

#EpicFail

I think its just a cluster where in their office and they really have no clue as to handle or organize the mountains of paperwork.

Reply by BossLadyMD on 5/29/13 2:50pm
Msg #471626

Pardon my typos

delete (where)
*as to how to

Reply by MW/VA on 5/29/13 2:58pm
Msg #471632

I'd ask them to provide a copy of the doc with your error.

If they don't provide it, charge them for the return trip.
I got one of those last week. A WF pkg. has 3 RTC's in it (one marked Original, the other 2 marked "Borrower Copy"). The gal at the tc wanted to know why I hadn't returned all 3 with the pkg. IMO we all get busy & lose sight of reality at times. ;-) LOL

Reply by Buddy Young on 5/29/13 3:23pm
Msg #471639

I had a SS call me one time and tell me that I forgot to notarize the DOT and that there were coffe stains all over it. He said that he would send me the first page and ask if I would attach an ack. My answer was "bull sh1t" You send me the signature page and I'll redo it at an additional fee. I never heard another thing about it.

Reply by ToniK on 5/29/13 5:02pm
Msg #471648

Lmao n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 5/29/13 5:20pm
Msg #471650

Been there done that. Recently, faxbacks, oops...we forgot a document please fax in blahblah...I look through the docs. It was never a part. I call back, can't fax back something I don't have.

The loan officer took the form back to the hospital to have H&W sign, no notarization needed.

Sometimes they like to make us gerbels. Servitude is what's about sometimes.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/29/13 7:54pm
Msg #471659

<<<Then I get home and look at the documents. It's never been my fault, either they weren't in the package to begin with or they are different.>>>

That's a NEW request to meet with the BOs and commands travel and notarization fees - separate from the loan signing job.

<<< I just wish that the SS and TC we work with could have the intestinal fortitude........>>>

Some do and many don't.....have a business model in place to handle those SSs/TCs that don't.

<<< But no, I always have to call them on it and ask for a fee to go out again.>>>

NO...you don't call them back and *ask* them for squat. Act like a BUSINESS!!!! INFORM them that a new meeting with the BOs....and it IS a NEW meeting.....and the CHARGES for printing the NEW docs, plus travel will be $ X.

Disclaimer: Capitalization not meant for yelling - only for emphasis. Some of these posts (yours and others) are disturbing and the notary sounds like a barn yard flea bitten dog crawling back to the SS/TC with its tail between its legs. OMG! Your a BUSINESS!!! Take emotions out of business and get down to business.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/29/13 8:30pm
Msg #471664

Yes - inform them. Tell them. You are not asking

beyond what you need to know to quote your fair fee.

Good post, Lisa.

Reply by BobtheElder on 5/31/13 9:53pm
Msg #471899

It doesn't happen very often, but even after checking every page and being certain they were all signed, I occasionally get such calls. I do it, then mark the company for future calls... not that I won't work with them, but I will charge more to compensate for a few second trips Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.