Notary Rotary
CA notaries charging more than the law allows
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by janCA on 5/23/13 5:14pm
Msg #471042

I received a call for general notary work (GNW) yesterday, and of course, after asking all the pertinent questions, I was asked what I charged. My reply, as always, was $10 per notarized signature and a travel fee, which is subjective on the location of the signing.

The response I received was, would you repeat what you just said. So after I repeated the fee charges, I was told that the person that was contacted prior to me stated a charge of $25 per notarized signature and a travel fee of $20.

I told this woman that according to CA notary law the most a notary public can charge for each notarized signature is $10 per.

The fees we, as notaries public in CA , can charge, are listed in the handbook under Government Code 8211.

According to California government code 8214.1, charging more than the fees prescribed by law can result in a $750 fine and suspension or revocation of your notary commission.

Know your laws and follow them if you want to remain in this business.

Reply by gotogirl on 5/24/13 2:49am
Msg #471095

Commissioned via mail, processed by a local Notary from Realty office I'll leave nameless. Basically, I trusted her at word value when she charged me $50.00. Afterwards, I felt violated when it was clarified by fellow notaries the fee is $10.00. This notary took advantage of another within her same profession, what would she do to a private citizen. Afterwards I reported this overpayment kindly to both her and her broker, they backed each other despite the law. What I learned by that experience was integrity and ethics come first. The day I put profit before a client, thats the day I destroy my stamp and step down. You don't deserve to hold title of Notary Public, and should try another profession like a car sales.

Reply by rengel/CA on 5/24/13 1:51pm
Msg #471152

Let's leave the insults to other professions out of here n/m

Reply by janCA on 5/24/13 8:24am
Msg #471105

Robyn, I'm sorry you were taken advantage of by a fellow notary. When I am called for GNW, I always state the full fee, if it is a simple notarization. Sometimes, you don't know exactly what the extent of the job may be until you are actually at the signing, but all fees that will be charged should be discussed during the phone conversation.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.