Notary Rotary
Can you hurry over and notarize a QC Deed before my ex
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 5/9/13 12:41pm
Msg #469386

changes her mind? Ah......maybe I'm busy - but thanks anyway. What would you have done with a call like that?

Reply by Barb25 on 5/9/13 12:44pm
Msg #469389

If I weren't busy and I wanted the job and they were paying my fee and she wanted to sign and they were going to pay whether or not she changed her mind by the time I got there.. I would have gone. That is what I would have done.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/9/13 12:46pm
Msg #469392

If the parties are there, a witness and willing to sign, why not?

Reply by Darlin_AL on 5/9/13 1:25pm
Msg #469406

Got a call yesterday "I need 3 notaries". There's a protocol to go over exactly what the person has to be sure they are the signer, or whoever is--is there w/current gov't id. Also check to see if an attorney prepared the deed. You don't want your name involved if there's an action resulting from even a Quit Claim Deed (where the signer alleges to convey whatever interest they have & not that they have an interest (warranty deed). Then I quote my fee & tell them the city hall in my town has a notary at the clerk's office who charges just $5--- If the caller gets testy as to why I have all these questions about who is signing & where they are, I just tell them I can't do it. Usually these kind of people complain about even a $50 fee (travel & notarizations) and I really don't want to deal with them. There's no predicting what you'll find when you get there, & IF they will pay you cash upon arrival. Before you leave the comfort of your home, really screen what it is they need. Many people do not realize who it is they need to sign whatever document & identification requirements.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 5/9/13 1:43pm
Msg #469419

I probably would have declined. Sometimes in divorce situations, tempers flare. Perhaps others are delighted. However, for this "last minute before ex changes mind" - I would have done what you did.

Never know what you're walking into. See recent post #469173.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 5/9/13 2:45pm
Msg #469432

I probably would have not done it either. I was put in a situation once that I never want to be in again. I will avoid confrontation at all costs. I would meet them separately so no chance of hostility.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/9/13 5:27pm
Msg #469467

I would have declined...and referred them to someone else...

...don't wish to be caught up in anyone's drama, particularly causing one party to feel that the notary's presence puts pressure on them to sign something they don't really want to sign. I decline all P.I.T.A. (pain in the a**) appointments.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.