Notary Rotary
Car insurance.
Notary Discussion History

Car insurance.
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Jing Chen on 5/11/13 6:23pm
Msg #469684

Car insurance.

I got a letter from All State, asking about the mileage and the usage of my car. I spent half of my time doing signing, about 10 signings per week. Should I file the car for the use of business/self employment? Thanks.

Reply by sueharke on 5/11/13 10:35pm
Msg #469698

Yes. If you have an accident and you are on the way to a signing and have an accident - the Insurance company can deny paying your claim (especially if you only have personal car insurance).

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 5/11/13 10:39pm
Msg #469700

How would they know? What difference would it make? Do we drive differently because we are going to work than when we are going to the grocery store? Does the car know the difference?

Reply by sueharke on 5/11/13 10:47pm
Msg #469703

If you have a car accident and do not tell the company that you are working as a IC and the company finds out that information then you have lied to them. If you lie to the insurance company, they can disallow your claim as negligence for withholding pertinent information.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 5/14/13 7:58am
Msg #469833

My point is that there should just be car insurance. Why should the insurance agencies charge us extra because of our lifestyles? Maybe people who spend a lot of time at the bars should pay more than those of us who have lots of experience on the road with a clear brain.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 5/12/13 5:44am
Msg #469712

I agree with Sue. The fees aren't that much higher and you have the security of protection. If you have an accident and the adjuster checks your mileage they will question it then you are subject to cancellation. That's a huge risk.

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 5/12/13 9:30am
Msg #469715

Extra Insurance is not expensive...

... the extra cost is not that much & you can deduct it from your taxes. The other posts are right, if the insurance company finds out, after a business related accident, they will deny the claim & might even drop you from they're company. After that your rates will really skyrocket. Best to play it safe & get the additional coverage, IMHO.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/12/13 4:30pm
Msg #469722

Re: Extra Insurance is not expensive...

The way I see it is, I do not work out of my car. My job is no less different than if I was a student traveling to school, or working at Walmart. I am not a taxi driver who makes money from their vehicle, nor a truck driver who gets paid for making hauls. I drive to a person's house or their place of business to work and do not conduct business from my vehicle, or have a printer in their for a portable office. I would leave it as is.

Reply by Roger_OH on 5/12/13 5:11pm
Msg #469725

If you're taking the IRS mileage deduction...

it would likely be tough to convince your insurance company the vehicle is not being used for business.

Reply by Wendy/OH on 5/12/13 6:21pm
Msg #469728

Re: Extra Insurance is not expensive...

Have to agree with lucky dog (though it may not be the way the insurance company sees it)
what diff does it make if we are driving to an assignment? We pay the premiums, an accident is
an accident. Just another way for insurance companies to rip us off IMHO.

Reply by Roger_OH on 5/12/13 6:35pm
Msg #469729

In the course of your mobile business...

you may drive 10,000 miles or more than the average driver. The further you drive, the higher the risk that you may be in an accident.

Simple risk management as far as your insurance company is concerned, and they will charge more to cover that higher risk.

Reply by Jing Chen on 5/12/13 11:33pm
Msg #469735

Re: In the course of your mobile business...

Thanks a lot for all the inputs. I will add the insurance for business.

Reply by Barb25 on 5/15/13 1:09pm
Msg #470077

Why not just discuss all of this with the insurance agent

instead of notaries? There is an idea. He/she may be able to give the proper advice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.