Notary Rotary
DEAF
Notary Discussion History

DEAF
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by walthtz on 5/1/13 11:27am
Msg #468044

DEAF

Question? Has anyone ever had an assignment that both BR's were deaf?
That they were NOT able to hear.
What did u as a Notary due?

This was presented to me last nite & I turned it down citing how could I give my oath or directions they could not understand me.

Your thoughts, please.
Thanks
Walter

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/1/13 11:33am
Msg #468051

Communicate through lipreading? Writing?

Was an ASL interpretor allowed? Where there's a will there's a way to get it done. Probably take a longer time, but write out an oath and an ack, point and "read".

Do-able - but additional fee for some seriously excessive time involved.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 5/1/13 11:33am
Msg #468052

I wrote the oath down, they read it, and we moved on

The folks I was working with had done so many of these that they buzzed right through it, using nods and hand signals.

Reply by ME/NJ on 5/1/13 11:35am
Msg #468055

Re: DEAF - Come on you $50 dollars getaway.. n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 5/1/13 11:37am
Msg #468057

No, but I've had several that were blind. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/1/13 11:39am
Msg #468058

DTF..on loan closings??? Oh my, that must have been

a fun time for you!! I can't imagine having to read the entire mortgage to a borrower, let alone all the other affidavits that go along with it.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/1/13 11:44am
Msg #468062

Those average 6 hours and you definitely learn to be patient

and take lots of water to drink with you! They paid me very well for them also.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/1/13 11:46am
Msg #468063

One I did get them to do a POA because the lady couldn't

sit up at all and it's a bit difficult to sign while laying flat on your back.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/1/13 2:21pm
Msg #468105

How did signing part work? What about audio transcription?

(for the blind, obviously)

Reply by desktopfull on 5/1/13 2:51pm
Msg #468118

Re: How did signing part work? What about audio transcription?

I put the pen in their hand and held it to the line and they signed. Can't say the signature was all on the line but it was legible.

Reply by sueharke on 5/1/13 11:46am
Msg #468064

As for notary work, I might look into creating a template of information for the person to read prior to starting the signing. One separate page would be oaths as needed for a jurat. Finally, try pre made flash cards with the information and keep it in your notary case. Here is the first experience that explains why I use this approach.

The deaf still face issues when working with non-deaf people. When I was an auditor at one time in my life, I was doing a project. I randomly selected employees to talk to for the project. One was deaf. I had no issues as she was a highly educated engineer. She read lips and we communicated via written note. It did not take any longer than anyone else in the project.

My supervisor was pissed because I did not remove this person from the study. I told my supervisor that I had dealt with many people with communication issues (blind and very independent, don't speak English - 80 year old that spoke French and Chinese, inventing creative signals by show and tell, other) and that I would do the same if it happened again.

I also said it was discriminatory to not treat her in the study because of the the deaf issue if she was being paid to do the same job as the other employees.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/1/13 11:54am
Msg #468066

I had signing with a deaf couple once. The night before I wrote down all the stuff I usually say at signings. But I didn't need it. They lip read and it really didn't take much longer than a signing with borrowers that can hear.

Reply by sueharke on 5/1/13 11:58am
Msg #468072

Thank you for your great input about planning when for unique assignments. I'm happy I'm not the only notary who likes to think ahead.

Reply by ananotary on 5/1/13 1:23pm
Msg #468088

My deaf borrowers lip read and were able to speak

My signing did not take much longer than any other one.

Reply by RIcloser on 5/1/13 6:48pm
Msg #468156

I had a closing with a deaf couple. The TC arranged for two "signing" agents: me and one who used sign language.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/1/13 10:08pm
Msg #468203

If your borrower(s) read lips, you just need to be sure that they're looking at you when you speak. Not that big a deal, just takes a little bit of awareness and empathy. I did one with a nurse once who was hearing impaired. I had confirmed with her via phone, but I didn't even realize she had a hearing impairment until I had been at the appointment for a while. If I asked her something while she was looking at the document, I didn't get any reaction. It finally dawned on me why there had seemed to be a delay in our phone conversation. She must have been using a TTY machine. She was a sharp cookie, and I don't recall there being any issues.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.