Notary Rotary
DOG to Closing
Notary Discussion History

DOG to Closing
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by LeeA on 5/6/13 1:29pm
Msg #468919

DOG to Closing

I just got a email from our client that someone took a dog to the closing, and took them inside the person house. Please, make sure you never do this.

Also this was not a new notary, and the confirmation we agreed to pay him $XXX, he had closed 10 closings for us and he has been doing this since 2003.

So if you were me how would you handle this.

Do you pay them, or Not. My client won't pay me for the closing which I totally understand that is so unprofessional.

Reply by janCA on 5/6/13 1:45pm
Msg #468920

Does the SA have a disability that requires a "service dog"?

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/6/13 1:48pm
Msg #468921

Since 2003; 10 closings for you...and first time someone has mentioned a dog? Something just doesn't sound right here.

Reply by anotaryinva on 5/6/13 1:51pm
Msg #468922

I can not think of any good reason for this happening, maybe he has some sort of explanation. Please let us know if he does, was it a service dog? There was a notary on here years ago that argued that she should be able to take her dog due to panic attacks or some medical,issue she was having. If I remember correctly it was recommended she find a different line of work.

Reply by anotaryinva on 5/6/13 1:54pm
Msg #468923

Long thread about dog

Msg #214931

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/6/13 8:36pm
Msg #468974

Re: Long thread about dog

I remember that thread. I never called her for a signing because of that thread.

Reply by LeeA on 5/6/13 1:56pm
Msg #468924

I don't think it was a service Dog. I am waiting for the Notary to call me back. There are always two sides to the story. Which I always take into account.

I first thought ok he left it in the car, no big deal. But the borrower is saying he brought it in the house. If he needs a service dog then he should not be going to peoples houses or he needs to tell the people who are hiring him, as well as ask the borrower before he goes to the closing if is service dog so that way they can say yes or no.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 5/6/13 2:14pm
Msg #468926

I'd wait before passing judgement on the SA, at least get his/her side of the story. Wouldn't be the first time a BO decided to um...er......stretch the truth.

Reply by LeeA on 5/6/13 2:24pm
Msg #468927

Take my word for I know that to be the case. I bet once a month I hear from a Realtor, that the notary did not go over the docs.

They get upset because they don't get there check and take it out on the Notary. Example three weeks ago, we had a notary show up 5 minutes early, and the Realtor was upset because she wasn't there 10 minutes early when her client showed up.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 5/6/13 2:29pm
Msg #468929

Oh I believe someone took their dog into the closing......he has probably taken it to many closings and this is the first borrower that complained about it. I've heard of notaries taking their children to closings.

I'm very curious as to what his reasoning behind this was.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/6/13 3:44pm
Msg #468945

IMO, Before airing this on the forum you should have spoken

to the notary first. I've had a few borrower's call their lender or TC with a few exaggerations when the closing was complete due to the fact that I wouldn't let them run the closing. Got them on a 3 way call with TC listening in on the conversation and suddenly the stories started changing as they backed out of their accusations. Guess what? I got paid and the TC or lender found out exactly what they were dealing with and went into CYA mode.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/6/13 3:12pm
Msg #468933

>>>> Do you pay them, or Not. My client won't pay me for the closing which I totally understand that is so unprofessional. <<<<<

Did the loan close? I don't have a dog but in seven years I've never seen instructions about pets/ service dogs. I don't understand what this has to do with paying the notary if they did their job. Something's missing here. I'd like to see what the notary has to say before passing judgement, there has got to be a reason.

I had a funding manager instruct the hiring party not to hire me anymore because she didn't like my penmanship. At least she gave a reason.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/6/13 3:25pm
Msg #468937

While I am flabbergasted that someone would bring their dog to the signing, I kind of agree with Notarysigner that you need to pay this person if they otherwise did their job. They are, after all, an independent contractor. However, you would be well within your rights to either tell the notary never to bring their dog again and/or to never use them again. If you choose the later, you would be doing the notary a big favor if you gave them a call and explained why. I'm guessing this is one of those people that takes their dog absolutely everwhere and it never occurred to them that the dog wouldn't be welcome.

If this notary showed up at my house with a dog, I would've told them the dog had to wait in the car.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/6/13 3:27pm
Msg #468938

Even if it was a service dog situation, it would have been

up to the notary to explain that when they called them to confirm, and ask if that would be a problem.
I've heard it all--kids, grandkids, etc. taken to signings. None of that is acceptable, of course.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/6/13 4:02pm
Msg #468950

If the notary needs a service dog, they should let their

hiring entity know. As well as putting it in their profile on listing sites. Many people are afraid of dogs or allergic to them.

Reply by CinOH on 5/6/13 3:23pm
Msg #468936

So if you were me how would you handle this.

Did the loan close. If so you should be paid and the notary should be paid.

I'm sure you don't own a crystal ball and could not foresee the notary taking a dog to a closing.

You prior experience with the notary (10 closings dating back 10 years) indicated the person was good to use. You cannot write a DO NOT list to cover every scenario that could happen.

I would apologize the client and even call and apologize to the borrower, however, I would ask to be paid. I can understand forfeiting your fee to keep the client, however, if the loan closed I don't feel that them keeping the fee is fair. Asking you to never send that notary on any closings and to include language barring animals from closings would be appropriate. Refusing to pay is not.

Also, why didn't the borrower ask the notary to leave the dog in the car or leave altogether if they were so uncomfortable.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 5/6/13 3:35pm
Msg #468943

I think this is where some of the attorneys on this board

might be able to add insight. If it is a service dog, I'm not sure the ADA allows you to discriminate because someone needs a service dog. Apartments that have a "no pet" rule have to allow service dogs. If this is a service dog and you do not pay or threaten to with hold pay, you might be facing the potential of a lawsuit.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/6/13 3:54pm
Msg #468948

Re: I think this is where some of the attorneys on this board

I had the same thought, but I'm not sure if ADA rules apply to people's private homes, though.

I have four cats. They would have a fit if a strange dog came in to my house - and one of my cats would start marking her territory. Is the notary who has a service dog then responsible to pay for my carpet to be professionally cleaned as a result of his/her dog coming into my home and causing my own animals to freak out? OK I just Googled it - private homes are exempted with some limited exceptions:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/adaqa3.html

Reply by PegiT_MN on 5/6/13 4:07pm
Msg #468952

Re: I think this is where some of the attorneys on this board

We all know this notary does not have a service dog......that it was his pet dog he brought to the closing. If he had a service dog, the hiring parties would know about it. This notary used a laspe in judgment and brought his pet to a closing.....just like some notaries bring their kids and their grandkids to the closings. I have heard of drunk notaries, stinky notaries, notaries that don't have a clue to what they are doing.......it's just another stupid thing to add to the list of do's and don'ts the title companies and signing companies send out in our closing instructions......like we already know not to wear t-shirts with offense language on them or not to show up to a closing drunk.

As far as the notary goes that got mad at the op for posting this.......op didn't mention any names so what does it matter. I think it's a great post......it made me laugh hysterically knowing that this guy is our competition.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/6/13 4:37pm
Msg #468955

Seeking damages-4 dogs under table gassed me unconscious n/m

Reply by HSH/WA on 5/6/13 4:48pm
Msg #468957

Re: Chickens yes, dogs maybe not so much - certainly not

at the same time.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/6/13 4:51pm
Msg #468958

What about bird dogs? n/m

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 5/6/13 10:10pm
Msg #468987

Re: What about bird dogs?

I personally know someone who has a service dog for unseen disabilities. He'll tell the story if asked. He also sometimes doesn't need a wheelchair in a store. When he does, the dog rides under his feet. He is not a notary, however. In fact, he has been medically retired for several years.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/7/13 6:51am
Msg #469001

Re: What about bird dogs?

Personally, not buying it, and I think some BO was upset and didn't like the closer. It's one person's word against the other, and yes they do lie. Not sure who you are as a SS, but call some past clients and ask them if they took a dog to a closing. Easy enough to find out.

Reply by LeeA on 5/8/13 10:27am
Msg #469148

Dog to Closing

The Notary Response, was I always take my dog to the closing. I left the dog in the car, and jumped out the window, the little girl let her in the house. They had dogs so I didn't think it was an issue. So the dog sat next to me during the closing. Or explain to the borrower how the dog got inside.

I am sorry, if you dog can jump out the car, during the closing, then you need to make sure it secure in the car.

Reply by jnew on 5/8/13 1:15pm
Msg #469174

Re: Dog to Closing

Most signing agencies have a list of do's and don'ts for a closing. Without fail, they prohibit the notary from being accompanied by another person unless the person is required as a witness. They also do not allow pets. They also require a professional appearance. A person who does not understand how to dress professionally is hurting himself. There are rules and then there are rules, but I would suspect that a person who requires a service animal to do his job will not be getting very many assignments. (probably discriminatory but the SA's don't want the hassle)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.