Notary Rotary
Debunking rumor about color copies of VT operator's licenses
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by VT_Syrup on 5/15/13 11:45am
Msg #470055

A client had a copy of his Vermont operator's license made at Staples. The clerk told him only black and white copies were allowed. I called my local Staples and they said the same thing, but it was something they got from their store manual. I emailed the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles office and they replied that "VT has no law prohibiting making a color copy of a Vermont Operator's License."

Reply by A S Johnson on 5/15/13 12:16pm
Msg #470060

Saples and your Staples store is really right.
Your Commissioner of Motor Vehicles office is correct- Vt has no law about color copies of driver's livense.
The NO color of indicial size of driver's license or other I D information id a I RS rule for the prevention of I D Fraud ot theift.
As it affects us, I don't make a big issue of it. A do ask that the borrow to initial the copy of thier I D information, which is DL and SS card.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/15/13 1:36pm
Msg #470082

It may have more to do with store policy than state law. I was in a UPS store once and overheard one employee telling another that they're not allowed to make color copies of IDs. (A couple had just been in there to do that.) I'm not aware of any law in California about that, either, but I thought it was interesting. Probably a good policy to have. (Or maybe some federal statute?)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.