Notary Rotary
Did a double signing tonight
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Buddy Young on 5/3/13 12:42am
Msg #468506

One was a refi, the other was a HELOC. Both were for the same borrower. I did the refi first and then did the HELOC. About half way through the HELOC I came across notary instructions. Use black ink. Sorry too late!!!! The docs were overnighted to me, no reason to go through the package in search of instructions.

Reply by Clem/CA on 5/3/13 12:45am
Msg #468508

CA is ok with black or blue..... no worries

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/3/13 3:40am
Msg #468516

Those are from W-F. Their HELOCs always request black ink only. It's a lender requirement, not a state requirement. BTW, Buddy, that may be a good reason to reconsider your assumption about not needing to go through the package...

Didn't see any HELOCs for 4 or 5 years, now all of a sudden, seeing quite a few.

Reply by Howie35CT on 5/3/13 7:46am
Msg #468527

1. I agree w/Janet; always a good idea to go through docs (e or door delivery) prior to signing. Several times, my check has been in the package with the docs!
2. I also ask my scheduler about any ink requirements or special things (multiple copies of HUD/Mortgage, picking up any other docs from the BO, etc) before accepting the assignment. Good luck out there!

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 5/3/13 8:53am
Msg #468531

I don't understand your reasoning ...

**The docs were overnighted to me, no reason to go through the package in search of instructions.**

Overnight or edocs -- the instructions don't just pertain to how to print.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 5/3/13 9:00am
Msg #468532

Then why aren't the instructions on the very TOP. WHY do

we have to go through 2 sets of docs to find instructions?

Reply by Matt_VA on 5/3/13 9:07am
Msg #468533

I will say that black is always the default color for me, blue only if instructed. Just a thought.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/3/13 9:16am
Msg #468536

I find that most companies want blue ink - I rarely, if ever, see a request for black.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/3/13 9:21am
Msg #468537

Me too - black very rare.. n/m

Reply by Matt_VA on 5/3/13 9:43am
Msg #468539

Re: Me too - black very rare..

Been at this for 11 years and black has been 95% easy. WE must be on different planets or you all do a very limited number of lenders or TC that do want blue. The industry fact I've always understood is that blue doesn't copy or fax well, hence the black ink. Though there are Lenders like Quicken that say in their instructions use black or blue. Again, that's just my experience.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/3/13 9:47am
Msg #468541

Duh that's why they use blue, doesn't copy well n/m

Reply by Robin Wilson on 5/3/13 11:17am
Msg #468556

Re: Duh that's why they use blue, doesn't copy well

I agree it makes it to ensure they submit originals for filings. But also more and more states are going to blue ink as a requirement. You have to go with the color the state requires before you let the title company decide.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/3/13 11:35am
Msg #468560

Re: Duh that's why they use blue, doesn't copy well

"You have to go with the color the state requires before you let the title company decide."

Disagree - if title tells me to sign in sky blue purple, that's what I do - it's on them if they're wrong and the recorder actually wanted sky blue pink..

You can suggest to title that they confirm ink color when they specify it, but it's ultimately on title if that is correct or not - not on us.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/3/13 9:47am
Msg #468542

Matt - I was a real estate closing paralegal in

CT for 25 years before coming down here and doing signings for the past 7 - blue has been the standard except for a few limited exceptions (lender requirement and out-of-state recording requirement)

Also, JME

Reply by Matt_VA on 5/3/13 10:36am
Msg #468548

Re: Me too - black very rare..

It's a great discussion for a seperate thread. I'll put it out there.

Reply by BobbiCT on 5/3/13 10:38am
Msg #468549

Showing our ages .... blue v. black ink

"The industry fact I've always understood is that blue doesn't copy or fax well, hence the black ink."

When I used a typewriter and carbon paper and photocopiers were rare, the "black ink reproduces better than blue was sometimes true." CT is a blue state (more years than Linda admitted to LOL); we have good quality pens and copiers.

You need to be there when the copy person drops a pile of original loan documents and copy sets and they all get mixed together on the floor. People sitting around trying to figure out which is the original and which is the copy (running hands over back and holding to the window looking for pen impressions). You also need to be there when a secondary market purchaser QC department REJECTS a document signed in black ink because the document looks like a photocopy to them.

In short, each lender and title company to his or her own instructions. When our Town Clerks, required to only record originals, see a "blue" signature, they quickly record vs. some poor quality signed original in black photocopy, fax printout or pdf of what once was a good looking original document becomes a "what do you think" or gets the "Received In Poor Quality" or "Illegible Document" stamp on the page before recording.

Reply by Lorna Omessi on 5/3/13 12:29pm
Msg #468565

Agreed.....always use blue

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/3/13 5:46pm
Msg #468630

Yes, always blue, unless instructed otherwise. n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 5/3/13 1:26pm
Msg #468572

I am not paid to take responsibility for seeing that the documents provided to me, whether by email or overnight, are correct and all present. If that is to be part of my responsibility, then I want to be compensated for it.

I take responsibility for any errors caused by me. And, if I chance to see any problems with the docs as presented, I will certainly notify the responsible party, but I am NOT going to accept responsibility for correting someone else's errors unless I am paid to accept that responsibility. As a consequence, I do not agree that I will review documents in advance of closing, <except> to identify any problems occasioned by me.

Reply by Patricia/VT on 5/3/13 3:21pm
Msg #468602

Exactly!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.