Notary Rotary
Did a signing today at Dunkin Donuts.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Kate/PA on 5/8/13 7:14pm
Msg #469246

At the borrowers request. From what I could gather the clients did not anyone in there house.

Where is the most interesting place you have preformed a signing?

Reply by Michelle/AL on 5/8/13 7:20pm
Msg #469247

At a movie theatre, upstairs in the Projectionist Room

It was an older theater so in addition to there being the new computerized equipment, the old, huge projectors and film wheels were there. It was kind of creepy because it was just me and a very geeky guy who hired me. My imagination kept going running away. (I've watched way too many scary movies). I kept expecting him to turn into a zombie or something. Thankfully, it didn't happen. : )

Reply by SReis on 5/8/13 7:24pm
Msg #469248

I think everyone has signed at DD/Starbucks/fast food place

I don't have very many interesting places... mybe the Pilates studio or the cramped back office of a gas station (not very interesting but it was indeed mind boggling how we all managed to fit & sign docs in that cramped space with paperwork & goods stacked everywhere).

Reply by Jack/AL on 5/8/13 7:24pm
Msg #469250

Dunkin Donuts, book stores, lots of burger joints and restaurants (even during the 5 dinner rush on Friday evening), in my car, a few in my home (as requested by the borrowers), and some on the back porches of beautiful lakeside homes. Nowhere with anything really strange, yet, but I keep hoping.

Reply by ToniK on 5/8/13 7:27pm
Msg #469251

At a park on the hood of my car in the dead of summer while BO boyfriend and family were trying to tow a sail boat but it was too big for the tow truck and they couldn't get it to line up. A lot of cursing, yelling, backing up going on. The BO was trying to hurry and sign so she could get back to helping the boys out.

Reply by Luckydog on 5/8/13 7:37pm
Msg #469252

When in Orlando, a movie props factory, many Disney hotels, a professional photography studio who specialized in food for magazines,and in south FL a lot of multi million dollar mansions, and a few influential people. Most interesting pet at a closing was a huge raccoon who wasn't the friendliest of creatures.

Reply by ikando on 5/8/13 7:50pm
Msg #469254

In the maintenance building while the signer's barge went from one level up to the next at a lock and dam. Great signer in from New Orleans.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/8/13 7:57pm
Msg #469257

Mortuary - 2 different ones. Could I be a preferred notary? LOL

Reply by pan/nd on 5/8/13 7:59pm
Msg #469259

signed one on the back of a straw wagon---out in the farmer's field with the wind blowing

35mph and temp of about 95degrees

NOT PLEASANT

Reply by closergrl on 5/8/13 8:38pm
Msg #469265

On an ore ship, tattoo parlor Unique animals - 3 cougars. n/m

Reply by Jodith/WA on 5/8/13 8:42pm
Msg #469268

We do a lot of signings for Canadians buying property in the US. Occasionally, the borrower will have problems crossing the border into the US. A little known fact is that there's a sort of no-mans land in Peace Arch Park between White Rock, BC, and Blaine, WA. We've signed several packages in the park there. The signer can come to the Washington side of the park without going through the border, and then return to the Canada side of the border. The park itself is patrolled by the border guards so people can't cross into the country without crossing the border, but as long as folks stay in the park they're OK.

So, yes, Peace Arch Park would be my oddest signing location.

I've also done the obligatory signing in a dark parking lot on the hood of my car in the middle of the night.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 5/8/13 8:50pm
Msg #469273

In a crack house ...

OK, maybe it wasn't really a crack house, but if that was the look they were going for, they nailed it!

Other than that, BO's homes, bookstores, restaurants, coffee houses, offices, parking lots on the trunk of my car, etc. all pretty standard locations.

Reply by RIcloser on 5/8/13 9:18pm
Msg #469278

OMG! I could have a very long chapter on places over 25 years! My favorites?
1. Women's and Infants Hospital - an hour after delivery - just before nursing.
2. Remote Diner, while husband cook was frying eggs, wife was feeding three kids under four - at counter.
3. On the porch of a farmhouse, on a plywood sheet over a rusty 50-gallon drum, sitting on a frayed summer lawn chair - in December.
4. In the back seat of an old Chevy
Also, so many Dunkin Donuts...lost track!

Reply by snowflake/PA on 5/8/13 9:38pm
Msg #469279

On a retaining wall in the blazing sun waiting for the realtor to bring the keys, garage in the middle of winter, in my vehicle, at a truck stop and the list goes on.

Reply by RIcloser on 5/8/13 9:54pm
Msg #469280

And, just remembered...
At a Realtor' s office at 7:30 a.m. - not an unusual place, but Seller had four Poodles, each of which had their paws on the table (dogs, I mean) and watched the papers go back and forth. Truly a hoot!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/8/13 10:07pm
Msg #469281

Hmmmm, back up, RIcloser ...

Re #4: Tell us again exactly what you were doing in the back seat of the old Chevy ....?

(Hee Hee)

I think the weirdest place for me was the floor of a huge semi hauling Christmas trees. It was snowing, colder than heck. Trucker had pulled over to side of the road, opened those monster back doors and we got it done! (The signing that is).

Unfortunately, we don't have DDs here, but more Starbucks, McDs, Dennys than I can count. Hoods/trunks of cars, front porches, back porches, top of washing machine in the garage, hospital rooms (patients), hospital break rooms (nurses), school rooms (teachers), machine repair shop (mechanics) all come to mind.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/8/13 10:12pm
Msg #469282

The trunk of my car. I also sell Knock-off DD there! n/m

Reply by RIcloser on 5/8/13 10:24pm
Msg #469286

Re: Hmmmm, back up, RIcloser ...

Purchase closing at my office. One seller was disabled, stayed in front seat of car in parking lot. Pouring rain, I later jumped in back seat for her signature. It was then that I said I can now add closing in the back of a Chevy! LOL.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/8/13 10:50pm
Msg #469287

Good one! n/m

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/8/13 11:21pm
Msg #469290

Anyone sign at Baskin Robbins? Mint choc chip calling me! n/m

Reply by doglover/CA on 5/9/13 12:56am
Msg #469296

Interesting places where I have done signings:

1. Child actors' classroom at Sony Studios
2. Furniture store
3. Back of an SUV
4. Hood of a car
5. X-ray room in a hospital
6. Veterinary patient examining table

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/9/13 2:44am
Msg #469299

Weirdest was probably a dental lab, surrounded by false teeth in various stages of completion... There wasn't an empty surface in the whole place, so we ended up signing on a low divider wall between work stations that was only about 4 inches wide - with all those prosthetic teeth smiling at us from every direction...

In addition to many Starbucks, McD's, pizza joints, etc., I've signed:
- on a bench @ entrance to minimum security jail for one of the guards
- on a car hood at a dressage track while daughter took her riding lesson
- through a window in the bullet proof glass at a liquor store, in between borrower waiting on customers
- on a bench at the airport (before security, of course)
- with 3 signers (young couple and bed-ridden grandma co-signing), around bed at nursing home, on the skinny rolling table they use to serve her dinner
- in a driveway on kiddie chairs with clipboards instead of a table

Reply by Julie/MI on 5/9/13 5:57am
Msg #469302

On the top of the trash can in the Kroger vestablue by the claw machine, it was nice and flat and he was a truck driver from out state.

Reply by Stoli on 5/9/13 9:51am
Msg #469337

Nudist colony n/m

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/9/13 9:57am
Msg #469339

Was it a naked title? n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 5/9/13 11:46am
Msg #469363

Nudist colony too: BO in a onsie with her butt cheek showing n/m

Reply by Matt_VA on 5/9/13 10:09am
Msg #469342

In a dentist exam room, sat in the chair
for a homicide detective in the interview room
In a 911 center
In a county supervisors office

guess we all have stories....

Reply by meganPA on 5/9/13 10:18am
Msg #469345

Picnic table at a rest stop on a warm(er) winter Sunday morning. Ski cabin at a resort in the woods. On the hood of my car at a Walmart (only a deed, thankfully). T.G.I.Fridays and Grotto Pizza (while the borrowers chowed down).

I also did have a closing where the borrower was the manager of an "adult store" and wanted to sign there at first, but luckily for me he opted to have the closing at his residence instead !

Reply by Paul_IL on 5/10/13 11:24am
Msg #469576

Truck Stop at 3am...borrowers were husband and wife driving team.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.