Notary Rotary
Do I really need a laser printer?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Randy Crawford on 5/2/13 10:05pm
Msg #468455

Hello, I'm just getting started as a loan signer. Everywhere I look it says you need a laser printer. I have multiple laserjets. Do I really need a laser printer? Or is that just a suggestion since they might be better for high volume printing?

thanks.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/2/13 10:16pm
Msg #468458

Re: Do I really need a laser printer? Yes AND Adobe

Hi Randy.
1.) How many pages do you anticipate are actually in a loan closing package?
2.) How much time do you anticipate you'll actually have between receiving your docs and the appointment?

YES!! Absolutely, a laser printer is needed (Oh, and if you were wondering by chance whether you need Adobe, PLEASE DON'T).

p.s. "multiple laserjets"?

Reply by Jack/AL on 5/2/13 10:50pm
Msg #468475

If you have multiple laserjets, then you have multiple laser printers. HP calls its laser printers "laserjets." Mine is an HP 2055 Laserjet, and it is great for my volume of work. Yes, it is a laser printer. Some responders to your post seem to be commenting as though you want to know whether it is OK to use ink printers, although your question did not mention ink. I'm not certain whether you are wanting information about comparing laser printers to ink printers, or just not realizing that a laserjet is a laser printer. What say you? And yes, you need laser printers for the various reasons mentioned by others.

Reply by ibnotary on 5/4/13 8:08pm
Msg #468773

Thanks. Oops, my bad. I meant to say I have multiple inkjets, (not laserjets.)

Reply by Teresa/FL on 5/2/13 10:18pm
Msg #468460

Re: Do I really need a laser printer? YES, for these reasons

Lenders require docs be printed on a laser printer

Printing costs per page are less for laser than inkjet, especially if you refill your cartridges

Laser printers are faster. It will take much less time to print 200-300 pages on a laser printer vs. the same amount of pages on an inkjet. Time is money.

Invest in a laser, you will not regret it.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 5/2/13 10:19pm
Msg #468462

Laser jet or ink n/m

Reply by Kate/PA on 5/2/13 10:20pm
Msg #468463

Yes because toner is much cheaper than ink & is better for high volume jobs.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 5/2/13 11:02pm
Msg #468482

The main reason is as Teresa/FL said...

that lenders require a laser printer. Toner does not smudge like ink. Also it is more permanent than ink because it is fused (with heat) onto the paper. The fact that it is cheaper is purely coincidental. Are you new?

Reply by ibnotary on 5/4/13 8:10pm
Msg #468774

Re: The main reason is as Teresa/FL said...

Yep, brand new. Just getting started and I sure appreicate all the help everyone's been giving me!

Reply by ToniK on 5/2/13 10:32pm
Msg #468467

laserjet =HP but still a laser printer? I thought that what

HP calls theirs...Obviously Im not an HP user....

Reply by BrotherOwner on 5/2/13 10:40pm
Msg #468471

"Everywhere I look it says you need a laser printer." YOUR words, and you are STILL not convinced?

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 11:14pm
Msg #468488

LOL! n/m

Reply by ibnotary on 5/4/13 8:13pm
Msg #468775

OK . . come on . . in fairness, I didn't know (until reading through this thread)whether "everywhere I look it says I need a laser printer" was for cost and volume printing purposes or because a laser printer was actually required. That's why I asked the question. I appreciate everyone's help.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 5/2/13 10:50pm
Msg #468474

Financially I don't know how you could not have a laser,

they are much cheaper to print with and very fast. To my knowledge the companies require it because ink jet smudges, laser does not. And get a dual tray. Don't go with a single tray. Too time consuming to change paper and too expensive to print all legal, unless you are getting free paper like some do. You can use one of those others for a spare for your vehicle. In a pinch with a few late docs you can use an ink jet or so most of the companies I work with will allow it if you don't smudge the ink. And the best of luck starting up in this time. Seems business has slowed most everywhere.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 5/2/13 10:59pm
Msg #468480

YES n/m

Reply by Luckydog on 5/3/13 5:39am
Msg #468519

Re: YES

Yes, and if you need one, I recommend brother printers, I use an older MFC-8460N all in ones for years, and toners on Amazon run me about $12.00 each for 8000 pages.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/3/13 6:51am
Msg #468525

Ink will dissolve and run if it gets wet - laser doesn't n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.