Notary Rotary
Do LOs not require id from potential borrowers at the time
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by snowflake/PA on 5/7/13 10:11am
Msg #469017

of the application? I am asking because I've had 2 disastrous closings with incorrect names for 2 different closings in as many weeks. How does a loan get this far without anyone but the notary noticing? First closing had to be a redraw.

Second closing I went round about with TC as to how I could notarize. "well they took title as". Well, now they are married and she is using a hypenated name with her id having her middle name completely spelled out as opposed to using just the middle initial. Title didn't want me to notarize using her full middle name. They were not concerned about it as it didn't appear in the chain of title. Mentioned to title I couldn't have Borrowers undersign.

Just wondering when title does their search they don't search and verify a bit better. Spent alot of extra time at the time for doing someone else's job. And her maiden name was misspelled to boot. So we needed to correct and initial that, as well. Just thinking a redraw would have saved everyone alot of time and trouble.

Again, those with the gold make the rules. I have my emails to protect my end.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/7/13 10:42am
Msg #469020

Lender and title have to draw docs however title

is vested. It is not up to lender and title to search to find out if they've changed their names unless the borrowers decide to fix it. Docs drawn as names are on ID as opposed to how title is vested are not drawn correctly. IMO the only purpose for copies of ID at the getgo is to cross-reference names on app with names found on credit report. They have no import on title vesting at all - unless borrowers request change of vesting to new names on ID.

I'm confused about your second paragraph. You said "Second closing I went round about with TC as to how I could notarize. "well they took title as". Well, now they are married and she is using a hypenated name with her id having her middle name completely spelled out as opposed to using just the middle initial. Title didn't want me to notarize using her full middle name. "

Are you saying her ID said Jane Joan Doe but docs said Jane J. Doe? If that's the case, why could you not notarize Jane J. Doe? Again, it's like the old math equation...Jane equals J, but J does not necessary equal Jane. Maybe I'm missing something. Did her ID have the hyphenated name? Here, I could have notarize with name on ID WTTA name on docs.

Told you I was confused. Smile

Reply by snowflake/PA on 5/7/13 10:59am
Msg #469021

Sorry for the confusion. Her id reflected a hypenated name.

It was corrected using the aka aff. Her middle name was spelled in full on id. Just advised not to notarize with full middle name so title docs match. Thanks for the valuable input.
Just didn't want anything kicked back to delay funding for these folks.

Reply by ME/NJ on 5/7/13 11:36am
Msg #469025

When application is submitted to UW from LO they should have a copy of ID and signed SS# verification form.

Reply by MW/VA on 5/7/13 12:38pm
Msg #469031

I see this sometimes, too. No one thinks (or doesn't know)

to do a Grant Deed or QCD to change how names are vested.
From a notary standpoint, you only have to be sure they are the person they say they are. We have them sign as the docs are written, not what's on their ID necessarily. CA doesn't have that latitude, I understand, but many of us do have the ability to make a judgment call. They usually have a marriage certificate or something with the former name.
Be careful not to cross the line into UPL. We follow instructions, unless to do so would be an illegal act for us.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.