Notary Rotary
Easy signing - well maybe
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by MikeIL on 5/25/13 4:58pm
Msg #471284

Did a signing late Friday night for a really nice couple, wife was a corporate lawyer. After we finished and I was packing up Husband said "this was really easy . I wonder why there were no docs for the trust since we have the house set up in a trust" . Tried calling everyone too late, rechecked my docs I had received no trust docs. I did send an e-mail to the signing company letting them know about the trust, and sent them the package . Guess I will see these nice people again.

So to the experienced people do I get paid for the first and second signing? Or only trip and printing for the first meeting, and normal fee for second signing?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/25/13 6:59pm
Msg #471294

You should get paid full fee for the signing you completed.

If you need to go back for trust docs, then you negotiate a fee for that job (and it will be more than simply print & trip. (Print and trip fees are generally for jobs where borrowers end up signing nothing.)

In any case, sounds somebody dropped the ball on their trust docs as far as recording goes, either the last lender or the lawyer who did the trust to begin with.

Reply by CJ on 5/25/13 7:19pm
Msg #471297

As soon as someone starts expressing concern about if the property is in the trust, show them the vesting on the Deed of Trust. If they say it is not correct, call someone so they can sort it out. Usually, the docs can still be signed, but they can correct it with a Quit Claim or Grant Deed later.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/25/13 9:36pm
Msg #471306

Exactly, assuming the attorney/borrower doesn't have a fit about taking the property in and out of the trust. That would be my guess as to what the title folks will try to do. That also assumes, however, that the borrowers were right. Usually someone has checked the vesting in advance and the docs are drawn exactly the way the vesting was last recorded. I've run into this type of situation a number of times and usually it turns out to be one of these things:

* The borrowers never got around to adding their home to the trust in the first place, or
* They refinanced once before, took the property out of the trust, but it never got put back in for a variety of reasons, or
* The lender is requiring the property be taken out of the trust for the refi, but someone forgot to prepare the appropriate Grant Deeds to take it out (and hopefully put it back in).

I'd probably bet that this one ends up with a trip to get a Grant Deed or two signed, but no redraw. Who knows... However, I definitely would have continued with the signing unless the borrowers objected. I've run into that, too.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/26/13 9:58am
Msg #471325

I had one of these last week on a Providant Funding refi loan. I couldn't get back to them, escrow officer had to send out another notary. I'm sure she got $100 for grant deeds and Tax Transfer Affidavits out and back into the trust. I was paid $150 for the first trip in the evening.

One of those OOPS! Yes you should get paid for two trips. Not your fault, an oversight.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.