Notary Rotary
Focus in a Signing
Notary Discussion History

Focus in a Signing
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 5/8/13 11:27am
Msg #469154

Focus in a Signing

There are times when I arrive at a signing when there is little focus on the task at hand.

Kids just home from school, soccer, baseball practice, music lessons, dogs running in and out, cat jumping up on the table, cell phones going off.

Okay, everyone, hold the phone.

If this isn't a good time, we can reschedule. Suddenly, peace! Or at least a little more focus.

I know when I'm in trouble when the borrowers sign in the wrong place in my journal, even though I've printed their name right below where they are supposed to sign, and it says, CLEARLY, SIGN HERE!

Then, someone jumps up to answer the phone during the signing and comes back with a black pen, having left my blue pen at the phone station.

Okay, okay, where's the blue pen, who's got the blue pen.

Now, everyone, we're signing our names exactly as they appear on the documents...but I never sign that way.

Oh, I didn't sign where my name is printed, I say, sign again over the line where your name appears.

If it's a note or DOT, or any rider, TIL, HUD, RTC, Itemization of Amount Financed, Compliance Agreement, Correction/LPOA Agreement, I pull out the borrower's copy we do it again.

I begin every signing session with, WE MUST SIGN EXACTLY AS YOUR NAME APPEARS, over the line where your name has been typewritten by the lender, in Blue or Black ballpoint ink.

Yikes. Some people not only don't listen, they just don't hear you!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/8/13 11:54am
Msg #469158

<< Some people not only don't listen, they just don't hear you! >>

Totally agree. I've had a few people lately that just don't seem to "get it" that yes you must sign as typed ON EVERY DOCUMENT, not just the first one. Also, yes, use your middle initial EVERY TIME you initial, not just the first time.

Reply by sueharke on 5/8/13 2:01pm
Msg #469184

What do you do when there is no room above persons name to sign - insuffificient space? In that case, I have them sign below their name. Any other suggestions in this case?

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/8/13 2:17pm
Msg #469190

I had that happen recently - had them sign below. n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/8/13 11:58am
Msg #469159

Depending on the borrowers of course but to get them to relax when these mistakes happen I sometimes ask...."did you graduate or did you gradually wait?" Lot's of laughter, then down to business. Works every time.

Reply by RonnieB/NC on 5/8/13 1:16pm
Msg #469175

So true... Every time, I would say, please sign your names as they appear on the documents. The wife would say, we are physicians. Meaning, physician signs a certain way. Usually, its chicken scratch.

Talking about blue ink pens. I just received a box of blue ink pens from Title Source.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/8/13 2:00pm
Msg #469183

"Some people not only don't listen, they just don't hear you!"

LOL!!! That is so, so true! I try to remind myself that for some people, everything I say is being filtered or tuned out to the point where I probably sound like the school teacher on the Charlie Brown TV cartoons... "Wuahh, wuahh, wuahh, wuahh, wuaahhhh..." Wink People's minds are still back at work or on who knows what - but not on what I'm trying to tell them!

It's at that point where we can try to inject a little humor or something to get their attention, like James said. But some people are really good at pretending they're listening to us. Or they agree with everything we say, then just do what they feel like. Gotta watch them like a hawk!

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/8/13 2:27pm
Msg #469191

I always give them a set of rules (like we most all do), such as, "If you make a mistake, DO NOT change it until you ask me and I will instruct you on how to correct it."

I then hand them my pens and ask them to please put their pens away.

I sometimes even read the directions I am given so it looks more official.

I also point out their middle initial and the date and repeat those throughout the signing.

That helps me keep their attention once I get it.

Then I have to force MYSELF to remain focused on checking for those middle initials and dates.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/8/13 10:13pm
Msg #469283

Too funny!

Been there, done all that

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.