Notary Rotary
Forgery, Fraud and ID Theft
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 5/1/13 11:20pm
Msg #468214

As a continuation of an earlier post today, I wanted to add the following. I had to run out for the day and did not have a chance to finish this.

Frank W. Abagnale (CATCH ME IF YOU CAN) is one of the world's most respected authorities on the subjects of forgery, embezzlement and secure documents. For over thirty years he has lectured to and consulted with hundreds of financial institutions, corporations and government agencies around the world.

Mr. Abagnale has been associated with the FBI for over 35 years. He lectures extensively at the FBI Academy and for the field offices of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He is a faculty member at the National Advocacy Center (NAC) which is operated by the Department of Justice, Executive Office for United States Attorneys. More than 14,000 financial institutions, corporations and law enforcement agencies use his fraud prevention programs. In 1998, he was selected as a distinguished member of "Pinnacle 400" by CNN Financial News. Today Mr. Abagnale is a member of the Board of Editors for Bank Fraud and IT Security, as well as the Financial Fraud Law Report.

MR. ABAGNALE BELIEVES THAT BECAUSE PUNISHMENT FOR FRAUD AND RECOVERY OF STOLEN FUNDS ARE SO RARE, PREVENTION IS THE ONLY VIABLE COURSE OF ACTION.

This is why notaries should not hand over their SSNs to just any old body who requests it.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 1:08am
Msg #468220

Amen! I see enough attempted fraud during tax season. I prefer not to see it in the notary work I do.

Reply by bagger on 5/2/13 7:23am
Msg #468223

Semi off topic

Cheryl
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is along the lines of ID theft and our responsibilities.
Did a signing last night, borrowers had funds due of around $1,700.00.
How did they pay??
There was a credit card form in the package!!!!
Now, I have all the info I need to commit fraud.
The card number, how his name apperas on the card, when it expires, AND the security code on the back!
I know there has been some discussion of taking a photo of the ID, but can anyone comment on how they feel about this situation?
I, for one don't like it.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/2/13 7:49am
Msg #468224

Re: Semi off topic

I'm glad you brought it up! Scary huh? I know that there are two high profile lenders who offer this credit card option.

I'm pretty sure most notaries would not take advantage of their clients, but what about the SSs and their employees, monkeys in the middle (thanks, Clem) who have privy to these packages, the borrowers SSN and all their personal information. They've not been background checked, screened for issues of integrity, have committed ID Fraud and Forgery in the past.

Is this about the scariest scenario you've ever encountered. It makes me cringe. It's like inviting an ax murderer to Sunday dinner with the family! How can this be remedied? I know that First American and Fidelity affiliate companies require their SSs to be background checked, bonded and E&O insured. What about the other smaller title companies with more lax requirements. The horse is out of the barn.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/2/13 8:14am
Msg #468230

In February, I received an email request for a signing from a SS asking if I could do a closing that day. ALL THE DOCS WERE ATTACHED! OMG I could not believe that they were so careless with borrowers info, sending it to me and who knows how many other notaries! If borrowers knew how their info was routinely bantered around the internet with no thought or concern - they would be livid!

Reply by Philip Johnson on 5/2/13 11:26am
Msg #468274

They do know it is bantered around.

Because for the most part they are forwarding all their personal info to some guy/girl who either called them or mailed them an offer.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/2/13 7:53am
Msg #468226

I don't think notaries are less trustworthy than the waiter at the local restaurant, who also has access to all this, and who often takes the card in the back room to process the transaction. But a cashier's check would be safer.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/2/13 8:09am
Msg #468228

Think twice the next time you're at a restaurant and handing over your credit card to someone to pay for your bill! Pay in cash, no risk.

Lost your wallet or it was stolen from your car? Someone was video taped in a local bar downtown Santa Barbara. The guy was so cavalier, walked up and slyly picked up a ladies clutch and walked out the back door. I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before he's identified, but this was a lucky catch, because most thieves get away with it and immediately begin applying for their own credit cards while using yours. They'll change your mailing address and telephone number.

I'm told the only way to protect your credit cards and your credit profile is to FREEZE YOUR CREDIT!

BEWARE. Fraudsters lurk everywhere. They can be under your own roof. People you'd never suspect. Cagey, underhanded, completely untrustworthy. You won't know it until the damage is done. Somehow they feel entitled.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 11:28am
Msg #468275

Amen to freezing credit.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 5/2/13 10:04am
Msg #468252

Even if there is a credit card form in the package. The signing service, would not see it, after it was filled out. They rarely are involved beyond the scheduling phase, unless they are more than a signing service, such as a settlement company, there would be no reason for a SS to see it.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 11:30am
Msg #468276

Who might see it. The delivery agent if the package gets lost and the company has to open it up to see who to deliver it to. If the truck driver is not honest, could he or she open the package?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.