Forum
Notary Discussion History

Forum
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Lisa Cirillo on 5/9/13 2:23pm
Msg #469424

Forum

I have been reading this forum for months now and this is what I see:

People come to this forum to learn, some are not sure how the forum works and ask questions. The "old timers" on this forum seem to be quick to judge and criticize. It's a shame!

It discourages people from posting any type of question or observance. They are afraid of being blasted with rude comments.

Maybe I'm different, but I thought this was a place to learn from people with knowledge. Learn from those willing to share that knowlede and teach others. However, newbies come here and are met with "that's what the orange button is for" or "learn to market yourself". To me, these are poor answers, why is it so hard to put it in a more professional manner, why can't you be nice and say "this forum takes a bit getting used to but there is a button (point out the location) that can be used for searching much the same as a google search" or "this is what I did when I started in this business". Why can't some of you just be patient and share your knowledge.

Pay it forward, you might feel better for it. Don't ever forget where you came from and what it took when you started out. If no one were there to help you, where would you be?

Reply by Luckydog on 5/9/13 2:49pm
Msg #469434

Everyone has good and bad days, and the regular posters on here get tired of the same questions...Yes, we all had to start somewhere, and find our own path. Some of us feel that everyone needs to work hard, find their own road and not take shortcuts from those who know the in's and out's of this profession. It took me a good 8 months of getting established working this as my PT job until I had to make a decision to jump off the fence and go for it full time.
Most of the "newbies" feel they are entitled to the short cuts, the good SS's, who to register with and just jump on board where it took some of us years to get to what we "earned" what we have established. We all have been stiffed by SS, we all have made mistakes at closings, we all along the way have lost companies for one reason or another...it is a learning curve, and makes you stronger. If you do not fall on your face in the beginning from time to time you will never learn how to become a true professional, and acknowledge your mistakes not to make them again.
I do not mind helping the newbies, but really, they need to have common sense as well. Register with hundreds of SS's, read the forum, follow your own state guidelines, get your business organized with the proper tools...It is common sense. Your local title companies do not need you, you must reach out and register with out of area SS's who need you who do business in your state. Read other's profiles locally, see what they charge, what they say and gather your own information for your own business strategy. No one ever came a Signing Agent and made it big over night. It takes time, loyalty and availablity and a love of your job to make it work.

Reply by sueharke on 5/9/13 3:23pm
Msg #469444

Part of what I learned in school is that everything changes. The best skill to take while learning is to use the "search" button to see if the topic has been discussed before -- independent learning. If the topic has been discussed, read all the past discussions. If the topic has not yet been discussed, start a new topic.

Be sure to say in your new post that you used the search button and cannot find any answers in past topics. This would impress me as a person who answers your question more respectfully. If you do not want to do the research because you don't have time, don't waste my time by asking the question.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/9/13 5:49pm
Msg #469469

"If you do not want to do the research because you don't have time, don't waste my time by asking the question."

Exactly! Words that newbies would do well to take to heart. Have a little respect for the people from whom you're asking for help! We all have businesses of our own that we're working on.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/9/13 2:53pm
Msg #469436

Lisa, I'm not an 'ol timer but I have been posting here since 2009. Before that, I read this and other forum for almost two years before I ever posted.

The one thing I learned during that time was, depending on what part of the country you live in dictates the various answers you will get.

Notary laws are just as different in each state as are the people; But the best thing I found out was how to find the answer myself, match THAT with the answers people here gave and therefore was able to determine who knew what they were talking about and who was blowing hot air.

This is the best site for making those determinations. IMO

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/9/13 3:09pm
Msg #469441

Luckydog and Notarysigner you are absolutely right. I know where you are coming from but I do see some answers to what may be totally stupid questions to some, as being totally rude.

I just don't see the reason to be rude, just don't respond. The newbies will figure it out as we all did. They may need a little guidance. No one is saying give them the whole gambit just a little direction. I've always said that google can be your best friend.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 5/9/13 3:49pm
Msg #469448

Take what you like and leave the rest...

Just be careful what you take. The "Search" button is your friend. When all else fails, Rule #62 applies: Don't take yourself (or others) too damn serious.

Reply by La Trese Breaux on 5/9/13 3:54pm
Msg #469449

I see you took alot of time to and thought

I hope your message reach the ones you where referring to.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/9/13 4:03pm
Msg #469451

"Why can't some of you just be patient and share your knowledge."

Because, Lisa, many of us already have, and we've shared it extensively, in extreme detail, over and over and over again. There are volumes of information here that has been contributed....pages and pages of answers to questions being posted. It's all been said over and over and over again. That's why we point them to the orange search button - how many times do you expect people to say the same thing over and over again? Newcomers need to learn to use the search button AND to do their own research. If they can't stand on their and research the business they've jumped into, how will they successfully run a business?

Paying it forward is true - and I agree with that - but many of us have already paid it forward...multiple times. It's here for the taking - the orange search button.

Reply by LindaD/NJ on 5/9/13 4:22pm
Msg #469454

Maybe these constant posters have nothing better to do but monitor and post on NotRot. It would be refreshing to see new posters and other opinions without having it shoved down thier throats. JMO

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/9/13 4:29pm
Msg #469458

Was this addressed to me? n/m

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/10/13 8:35am
Msg #469551

Re: Was this addressed to me?

I'm sorry that some have taken offense to this post. If you are the ones that have "said it over and over again", then move on and let someone else be the one to say it again.

I understand that many of you have a vast knowledge and experience in this business but again, if you can't answer a question by just giving an answer or pointing one in the correct direction, you need not answer. You can do as many of us do, pass on commenting.

It would be refreshing to see some new people posting and taking the reins from all of those who have said it time and time again.

A word to the newbies, please don't be discouraged. There is a lot of great information here and it comes from many who have been around for a very long time. Just know that each state is different. I see many posting from CA, I'm from NY and we don't have as many rules, if you may, that the west coast seems to have.

So now, let's all try and have a great and positive day. We're alive and that should count for something.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/10/13 9:59am
Msg #469560

"It would be refreshing to see some new people posting and taking the reins from all of those who have said it time and time again"

So what you're saying, Lisa, is the heck with the search button, the heck with doing my own research, ignore the database of information contained on this site, and let the same questions keep being asked and answered.

Has it occurred to you to consider the source when you ask a new person to answer your questions? I've sat back and watched new people ask and new people answer. The amount of bad information is incredible. But those experienced can't correct it because they're considered mean and are told "weren't you ever new once??". The lack of appreciation from newbies abounds.

Sure...don't bother searching to get the information from people who have been there, done that - people with vast experience and years of knowledge to share - keep asking so new people can answer it again, regardless of accuracy. Yep...sounds like a plan to me.

Guess Harry can get rid of the search button.

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/10/13 10:16am
Msg #469564

I'm not saying don't use the search button but there is a nice way of putting things and I feel that some have forgotten that.

I research all day long in my "day job" so I am aware of the power of the search button. For me google is a good friend throughout my day.

I just don't see where it's productive for someone to say "if you weren't so cheap you would buy a fax machine" or "that orange button is used for searching, this question has been answered".

When I first started looking at this forum, I wasn't sure how it worked. It took me a little time to find my way around. The posts by others have been very helpful, however, it seems that people are getting rude and nasty at times. To me, this is behavior that doesn't belong on a professional forum.

Some of the nasty people amaze me. They claim to be professional but do not wish to extend a professional courtesy to someone who is asking a question. There is no need for rudeness. If someone knows the answer and does not wish to go into detail, why can't they simply say "check message #xyz". Wouldn't that be nicer than just saying, "use the orange button".

In today's world of techno-communication, one cannot always read emotion in a message. Perhaps some don't mean to be rude, it's just read that way. It's unfortunate but it's the way we live our lives these days. I for one, don't have a problem with helping others, if I can, even if I've explained something 10 times, I'll explain it 10 more if it helps.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 5/10/13 10:26am
Msg #469566

Regardless of who this was addressed to

I see your point, Lisa. I agree with the professionalism approach as well. I would submit that someone could reply with the corresponding message number after they themselves have searched for it. To speak from my own personal experience, I do not recollect every number associated with a given thing (I'm lucky I can remember my anniversary date and my kid's birthdays at moments).

I do have great recall regarding concepts I've read and details associated with them. As such, I can know something that I've read and direct someone to the associated feature utilized to find said information. I do not see that as rude under any formulation of that term's sematics or use. The fax machine comment I have not read, but I would agree with your statement regarding that as well.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/10/13 10:35am
Msg #469568

Really?

"...why can't they simply say "check message #xyz". Wouldn't that be nicer than just saying, "use the orange button"...."

Why should we do the search to provide you & other newbies with the message # of the topic you are asking questions about? There again you are asking others to do the foot work for you on questions that have been asked hundreds of times. What's even better is when the same question is asked 3 times on the current forum page, when all they had to do was look at the page they are on in the first place.

My favorite: "Hi I'm new, can you tell me how to get business?"

Anyone care to guess how many times that is posted just monthly?

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/10/13 11:02am
Msg #469572

Re: Really?

I see that posted all the time. All I'm saying is there is a nicer way to put some things out there and if you don't feel like doing the research for someone or pointing them in the right direction just bypass the post and look at something else.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/10/13 11:06am
Msg #469573

Re: Really?

I'll be sure to do that next time instead of advising them to take Business 101, which is really what they need instead of the trip through the school of hard knocks. But that's JMO. Have a nice day.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/10/13 12:42pm
Msg #469585

You said: " I for one, don't have a problem with helping others, if I can, even if I've explained something 10 times, I'll explain it 10 more if it helps."

We shall see.

I know that whatever information I possess is of no value to you. Why? Because if it had value, you would not condemn and be so quick to post your negatives, whining as it is.

I don't feel like looking up another quote of yours, but will paraphrase: Maybe it isn't meant to be negative, etc.

Many times it is not. A busy person is just trying to let you know something quickly and doesn't take the time to couch it in a message bordered with flowers, butterflies and bees. Minus all the accoutrements, it appears rude. Yet, if you don't like it, couldn't you just take the gist of the message and ignore the rest? Do you feel entitled to be babied? Hence, there is no value perceived and, therefore, it is of no value. Do you agree?

So - in summation, I don't care to respond to that type of person. there are those who are more grateful in their opening statements, and those are the ones I see working at gaining in their craft, not just wanting the nature note cards.

JMNSHO

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 5/10/13 1:00pm
Msg #469587

I don't wish to be babied, if you are directing that at me. I merely pointed out that some didn't have to be so rude. You know that old saying "one bad apple spoiles the bunch". It has some new people feeling as though they should post in fear of being blasted.

And I'm not sure what information you may have for me. I do listen to people and that's how I've gotten as far in this life as I have. I wasn't quic to condemn. I've been reading this forum for a while now and I see it becoming more and more opinionated each day. It's scary at times, the comments people post on here. But I keep reading.

Many times I do take the gist of message and bypass the bs that goes along with many questions posted on this forum. I understand busy, so let's not even go there. You don't know much about me and my personal life just like I don't know about yours. So let's push the butterflies and flowers aside and just answer one another with a little more finess. No one has to be as abrasive as some on this board can be. There is no reason for it. You wouldn't want it done to you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.