Notary Discussion History

Got a 1st., borrower wants to see my commission @ closing. n/m
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by desktopfull on 5/1/13 1:47pm
Msg #468099

Got a 1st., borrower wants to see my commission @ closing. n/m

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/1/13 1:52pm
Msg #468100

After reading some of these horror stories online....

I don't blame them.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/1/13 1:55pm
Msg #468101

Did they want to give a donation? n/m

Reply by Frank/NC on 5/1/13 2:20pm
Msg #468104

Re: Got a 1st., borrower wants to see my commission @ closing.

If you read some of the postings on this site as well as the other notary sites, you may just agree with the borrower.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 5/1/13 2:24pm
Msg #468106

One of my seals has the commission expiration. Honestly, I think my desktop printer could produce a commission certificate a lot easier than a custom "stamp"

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/1/13 2:42pm
Msg #468107

DTF I once was in a signing and ask for I.D. and the BWR asked for mine first. I asked him why and he said I could be an imposter. I gave him my business card which show my comm #, BG screened, bonded, tel numbers, he said no, he wanted my I.D.
I told him my name and he dialed 911 and asked them if they knew me, had any warrants, etc. His wife and adult children were there and very embarrassed to say the least.
I excused myself, went outside and called the hiring party and told them, "this signing ain't going to happen."
I left!

Reply by Karla/OR on 5/1/13 2:44pm
Msg #468109

What is "DTF"???? The guy sounds psycho!!! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 2:47pm
Msg #468112

DTF = desktopfull n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 5/1/13 2:55pm
Msg #468121

I need a good laugh. Want to know what Karla thought it was? n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 2:59pm
Msg #468125

I'll bite... n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/1/13 3:02pm
Msg #468126

Re: I need a good laugh. Want to know what Karla thought it was?

I think I know what the last letter means..LOL

Reply by Karla/OR on 5/1/13 6:58pm
Msg #468160

WULTK!!!!!!!!! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 7:41pm
Msg #468164

???? Not in urban dictionary or any other searchable. n/m

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 5/2/13 7:50am
Msg #468225

Re: WULTK!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't U like to know?

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/1/13 3:03pm
Msg #468128

Re: What is "DTF"???? The guy sounds psycho!!!

hE WAS, That's why I told the hiring party the signing wasn't happening, clearly 51/50

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/1/13 9:57pm
Msg #468201

I don't blame you. Sounds like a real "piece a work"!! Definitely not worth the toxic energy... Wink

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 2:47pm
Msg #468110

Give them the web site & let them look you up, or take the

piece of paper showing you are a notary. If you had an office they came to, you would probably have it framed on the wall. No big deal. JMHO

Reply by desktopfull on 5/1/13 2:50pm
Msg #468116

Not a big deal, surprised they want to see it is all no one

has ever asked before.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 2:52pm
Msg #468119

Be happy is it not someone demanding to see your DL n/m

Reply by KimmyMD on 5/1/13 2:59pm
Msg #468123

Re: Be happy is it not someone demanding to see your DL

I had this several times. One women said she wanted a copy of my drivers license. And I said no. But here are my commission etc. she said how do I know your legit..? She canceled the closing. After all that the lender was made at me and said "what's the big deal"? I said my privacy and security! Oh we'll,!

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 3:02pm
Msg #468127

Did the lender show all their id's? Makes you wonder. n/m

Reply by John Tennant on 5/1/13 3:19pm
Msg #468129

I carry a copy of my commission, insurances, and BGC with me n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 5/1/13 4:11pm
Msg #468135

Re: I carry a copy of my commission, insurances, and BGC with me

Ditto. Just in case. Also I have no problem with showing my ID.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/1/13 5:16pm
Msg #468142

Hey Les, would you let them copy it? n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 5/1/13 10:21pm
Msg #468204

Nope! n/m

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 5/1/13 5:00pm
Msg #468141

Re: Be happy is it not someone demanding to see your DL

Kimmy you did nothing wrong. I've been asked for my DL and when I showed it they said they were going to photocopy it, I told them no way. Either sign or don't sign but your not photo copying my license. Your an officer of the state give them the phone number to the MIA.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/1/13 3:28pm
Msg #468130

I had that happen last week....

I was a bit preturbed, since the closing was supposed to happen at 7:30 PM and borrower was running late from work and I was told not to come until 8:15 PM. So I already accommodated him for that, then waited 5 - 7 minutes while he jumped up from the table to look for his reading glasses, which he did not find.

Then after I see his and his wife's ID, log in my notary journal, ask them to sign my journal, go over the HUD with them, then he decides he needs to see my ID. I got it out and held it up in front of him with my finger covering my address. He tried to take it from me but I would not release my hold of it. He protested. I told him that I was notarizing his signature and I am required to see his identification for that purpose. I reminded him that he is not notarizing my signature, I did show him my ID, that I am the authorized agent to meet with him in this transaction, and that I have all his documents. I was ready and willing to pack up and leave if he did not drop it at that point. He dropped it and we proceded with the closing, but he was a PIA throughout and we didn't finish until 10 PM.

He was one of those borrowers who thinks he is very savvy, but the more he opens his mouth the more it is apparent how un-savvy he is. I reported the ID incident to the TC afterward - they said I did the right thing.

Reply by KimmyMD on 5/1/13 4:07pm
Msg #468133

Re: I had that happen last week....

Nice work. I know the want to be types,,,

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/1/13 5:41pm
Msg #468147

SUPER EASY fix to BO wanting to see your ID

Before you go to an appointment, google THAT city's police department's NON-emergency number.

Show BO your commission certificate but refuse to show your license. Get out your cell phone and offer to call the police (non-emergency #) and have an officer come to BO's house.....**make a big show of it**. Pull out the scrap paper with the PD's non-emergency # and act like you're starting to dial. Tell BO that when the officer arrives, you will let him/her check you out. No borrower wants a police car in front of their house....nosy neighbors asking question <or spreading rumors>.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/1/13 5:52pm
Msg #468151

Slick, Lisa. LOL n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/1/13 6:39pm
Msg #468155

Heeheeheeeee!!!! n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 5/1/13 8:37pm
Msg #468180

Re: SUPER EASY fix to BO wanting to see your ID

Or you could just show the borrower your drivers license, as you do in in all kinds of other transactions, such as cashing a check.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/1/13 9:46pm
Msg #468199

I'm minding my own business when the TC calls ME......I didn't call them, they called ME. The CA SOS deemed me fit to received a commission and require gov't issued ID from a signer, therefore, I'm ENTITLED to see the signer's ID. They are NOT entitled to see my license. And they aren't going to, either. I'll show the police my license, but not the borrower. I have no clue who they are. So what that they are refi-ing. A notary on this board found out she did a signing for a registered sex offender, so apparently felons/creatures can refinance. You are welcomed, Hugh, to show the borrower YOUR license. I will NOT show the borrower my license, period.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 1:20am
Msg #468221

If you worked for me as a licensed professional, I would expect you to share your credentials if requested. I have been asked for my CPA and notary license on several occasions and I gave what was requested. There are too many situations where unlicensed people are posing as professionals. Also, some professionals have had their license suspended. If you have an active license, then show it. This is what is being written in articles and on TV by various news networks to verify the license of the person who has your private information.

If you have an issue showing your drivers license, download your credentials from the SOS online or your respective state agency that regulated notaries and print them out.

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/2/13 8:19am
Msg #468231

Sue, re-read my post...I clearly

said I would show credentials - I.e. commission certificate.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 11:36am
Msg #468279

Re: Sue, re-read my post...I clearly

Sorry if I misread your post and I apolize. Yes, you clearly did state that.

The rest of my post applies to anyone who is not will to show professional certification if requested by the BO. In a recent post on the forum it was pointed out that some notaries may be hiring point and sign people who are not qualified notaries for $20 because he or she overbooked.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/1/13 10:01pm
Msg #468202

Can't remember the last time I cashed a check... n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.