Notary Rotary
HVR Notaries: lied to me and admitted it
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Linda Spanski on 5/21/13 1:04pm
Msg #470766

After the scheduler promised payment in 30 days I accepted the assignment although I saw on Signing Central that their ratings have been spiralling downward. Still no payment from HVR at 60 days even after repeated excuses and promises that the check was in the mail.

Today I called the guy in charge, Mr. Spivey, to ask him why the check he said he mailed never arrived. He admitted he lied to me. I haven't had to send a collection letter in many years but I've got a good one that actually WILL be in the mail shortly.

Reply by Karla/OR on 5/21/13 1:34pm
Msg #470776

Incredible! Did his response include his next action, as in the check being mailed to you immediately? Or would it just be another lie?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/21/13 1:37pm
Msg #470778

Did he give you any clue if and when he'll pay or why he hasn't? Wonder if he feels that by admitting to the lie, it makes it more palatable .....

I worked with them twice last year and both times was paid in less than 30 days. Guess I got lucky! And, because of this prompt payment, I emailed JJ on 1/9/13 inquiring why I haven't heard from them anymore. On 1/10/13, he responded he has notaries in my area who charge $90-$100 and my fee is $125. Thanked him for his prompt response. Hope those notaries are getting paid. After Linda's post, I'm glad they haven't called back!

Thanks for the heads-up, Linda! Smile

Reply by ananotary on 5/21/13 3:10pm
Msg #470792

The owner, Hector, is the biggest JERK I have ever come

across in this industry. Plus his history of bounced checks makes him a double jerk.

Reply by Linda Spanski on 5/21/13 4:10pm
Msg #470797

I was told (3rd time) "check is in the mail"

Thanks to all of you who've responded, especially the notary who messaged me with details of how she finally extracted her money from these guys.

Members of my Network shared a great collections letter that will let HUD, the lender, the escrow company and the state of CA regulatory agencies know about this.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/21/13 4:31pm
Msg #470801

Don't forget the borrower ....

... their property is in the mix, too.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/21/13 5:08pm
Msg #470806

Borrowers are out of it - they've paid the fee..

it's up to SS & title now - that's who the agreement for payment is with ...there is no claim against the borrowers.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 5/21/13 5:54pm
Msg #470821

Re: Borrowers are *not* out of it IMO

There just as much in it as HUD, the SOS and any state regulatory agencies the NSA cares to list that also have no part in payment. The entire transaction involved someone's property ... the one and only reason we're there to begin with. Any collection action/legal action should be brought to their attention, too. If I were a property owner I'd want to know what the heck was happening. Of course, we're not hitting them up for $$ , but we're not hitting up the Dept. of Insurance either or making any claims other than to our hiring agencies.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/21/13 5:09pm
Msg #470808

Re: I was told (3rd time) "check is in the mail"

Unfortunately, there are no regulatory over these fly by night SS operators. They do not have to measure up the way notaries do with all the commissioning, insuring, bonding, background checks.

They can hoard the fees, to hell with the notaries who actually bring the file to close.

Watch out. If you're not getting paid, they may well be close to the end. But not to rest easy, they'll open up their doors again with new signs, names, locations, only the game is the same.

Don't forget the DA's office. Remember my post about what the SB Deputy DA said about non paying entities recently.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/21/13 7:50pm
Msg #470827

Xyz will present how to start a SS at the TX conference.

On 6/4:

***Your Next Step: Starting a Signing Service
A signing service owner will give you the know-how to multiply your income by creating a network of NSAs that work for you.***

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/22/13 2:19am
Msg #470851

Yikes! Isn't that just what we need...

...more people getting in over their heads and trying to do something they know nothing about!!! "Yes, spend one afternoon with us [or whatever] and know all you need to know about how to run a signing service." Oy vey!

Get ready, folks. Looks like any one who works for signing services is going to have to be even more vigilant than ever about who they work for, although I suspect it won't be too hard to tell who are the NSAs trying to "multiply your income" by farming out work they can't do themselves. I got one of those calls in the last several days and I almost felt sorry for the person calling me because it was so clear that she was way outside her comfort [and knowledge] zone - but not sorry enough to take the assignment.

I guess there are no bounds to what XYZ will do to make a buck. I wouldn't be surprised if they develop a "certification" program for so called Signing Service owners. I'd give them props for creativity if I didn't think it would have a negative impact on our businesses, as has so many other things they've gotten into.

[All comments just my personal opinion.]

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/22/13 9:50am
Msg #470873

Oh, good grief. 'Scuse me while I barf n/m

Reply by Susan AccuServe, Inc. on 9/27/13 5:15pm
Msg #486297

Re: I was told (3rd time) "check is in the mail"

Can you let me know the letter you used? They owe me $5500 and I want to do what is possible to get it.

Thanks

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/21/13 5:19pm
Msg #470813

Thank you! They called me today - I sent to VM! n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/21/13 8:54pm
Msg #470833

Next time you're told "check is in the mail"....

...tell them to send it certified and provide a tracking number. If they say they are sending it by regular (first class) mail, then let them know that they have 24 hours to email you the shipper's name and tracking number or you'll begin collection processes. If they refuse and declare the check will be sent by regular mail, then let them know you'll start collections immediately.

Reply by 101livescan on 5/22/13 9:31am
Msg #470870

I don't work for HVR any more. Hector offered me "volume" if I would lower my fee a couple of years ago. REALLY? I'm over the top. At month end, I can barely hold my head above the demand of great companies and fees, why would I work for less, and wait longer to be paid.

Not in my biz model. I've had to cut a few companies loose this past year due to length of time it takes them to pay. Knock on wood, haven't had any bounced checks so far.

Reply by HVR Mobile Notaries on 5/23/13 6:41pm
Msg #471054

As a Company - We do our absolute best to make sure that all and everyone one of our Notaries are paid promptly. Unfortunately, there will be some circumstances that a payment will and have been delayed due to unexpected issues but do our 100% best to get this matter resolved ASAP!

Respectfully,

HVR Management

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.