Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by MistarellaFL on 5/23/13 6:36am
Msg #470973

Have you ever got up in the AM to find your PC has changed

it's settings?

What the heck'a up with that?

Reply by Larry/IL on 5/23/13 6:37am
Msg #470974

Perhaps Windows updated. Then restarted with changed settings.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/23/13 7:03am
Msg #470976

That's happened before, but not the case today. Hmmmm... n/m

Reply by Edward Cooke on 5/23/13 8:05am
Msg #470979

Who still uses Windows? n/m

Reply by bagger on 5/23/13 8:13am
Msg #470981

Re: Who still uses Windows?

About 90% of us!

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/23/13 7:41am
Msg #470977

Power outage? Or a cat & a touch screen? n/m

Reply by bagger on 5/23/13 7:56am
Msg #470978

My date and time changed on me!!!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/23/13 8:20am
Msg #470982

Computers have a small battery in them to run the clock when they are turned off and, in the case of laptops, the main battery is removed. Eventually, these batteries go bad, and the time might revert to some default such as January 1, 1980.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 5/23/13 8:37am
Msg #470983

This happened to me about a month ago on my backup computer ( I still have some old applications I use that won't run on my Windows 7 computer). When I started the computer to check on something I noticed a bunch of the shortcut icons I had were no longer there. I thought I lost all the files as well but searching the hard drive I found they were still there. No clue as to why this happened but this particular computer was acting a bit flaky anyways (crashes) hence the upgrade to the one I'm using now. If your computer is fairly new you might consider contacting the Support folks where you bought it for a possible answer.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/23/13 10:31am
Msg #470999

Some versions of Windows have/had a desktop cleanup "feature" that removes seldom-used icons from your desktop. Maybe that got turned on somehow.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/23/13 10:47am
Msg #471000

It was none of the above

It was weird...in all browsers, for example: click on a post, it would open in a new window. Go back, opened in another new window.
Desktop icons had changed and were moved around.
A few other weird things.
It's like I had a middle of the night pc ghost.
Fixed with system restore.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 5/23/13 11:16am
Msg #471002

Re: It was none of the above

Run a virus scan just to be sure. I had something like that happen a year or so ago and ended up clearing it up with several virus scans that finally discovered a virus. May not be the same thing, but it couldn't hurt to run the scans.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/23/13 11:25am
Msg #471004

By gosh I think you're right, Moneyman

Thanks for that reminder.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 5/23/13 3:30pm
Msg #471034

Re: By gosh I think you're right, Moneyman

You're welcome. I use System Mechanics AND Spybot. Between the two of them it was finally discovered. One of them will catch some of them and the other seems to be able to catch the rest of them. Good luck!

Reply by jba/fl on 5/23/13 3:13pm
Msg #471032

I had that happen once. I just did a hard shut down followed

by power up. All was well. something during the night shifted on its axis or burped - I don't know.

Speaking of Glenn Strickler - that was his most common fix of all. I do miss him.

Reply by Tudi/CA on 5/23/13 3:57pm
Msg #471036

Re: I had that happen once. I just did a hard shut down followed

Sounds like a virus/trojan etc. may have infected and "hijacked" your computer. If it were my computer doing strange things like that, I would get someone out right away to check my computer for viruses and if found, remove them. In the past, I have used services like "The G_ek Squ_d," or "Webro_t" but I'm sure there are many other services out there as well. I like to use the professionals to do the job because they seem to have the most up to date software and information on the latest viruses. Most of these services can fix your computer remotely, so you don't even need them to visit your house or take your computer to them. Just make sure it's some reputable company that you use when allowing the technician to remotely log on to and fix your computer. Good luck.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/23/13 5:25pm
Msg #471045

I did a scan with Malwarebytes and Spybot

Both reported that no bugs had invaded.
Must've been a burp. LOL Julie.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/23/13 6:33pm
Msg #471051

I don't know what my computer did, but I now get messages

faithfully that my AMD graphics card is not connected and not working. I have taken this back to the store, they have fiddled with the settings, I have called HP who are next to useless and Momma Motherboard took a peek remotely, fiddled, etc., and gave me her assessment.

I paraphrase and quote: Sometimes a message is just a message. Take it for what it is. Nothing is broken or you would not be viewing what you say you are viewing. The message is a message - you just live with it.

So, everytime I do a hard shut down and then power up, I get told that my graphics card is not connected. I have learned to not wonder - it is just a message that needs to display itself and then the computer feels better. I think it skips through the ether from time to time, and I am ok with that now.

Just a message.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.