Notary Rotary
Have you received the instructions to search through the
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 5/24/13 12:08pm
Msg #471138

docs and make sure this or that doc is present? I'll do it if I have time, but not sure who should be checking the docs for completeness - the notary??? Had another one yesterday where I called the BO with the news that he needed a cashiers check for the closing - where is the LO, isn't that his/her job? Had a TO upset because I failed to attach a loose notarization to an occupancy statement - no indication they wanted it notarized (usually is) but I should have known - really? The notary automatically takes pictures of the IDs and includes them in the file - my phone camera isn't good enough and some SSs don't want copies - the LO should tell the BO to get copies, I don't mind reminding them but please don't assume I have a smart phone (most of you do) and the $50 a month data fees that go with it. Much is expected and little is offered.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/24/13 12:15pm
Msg #471139

<< Much is expected and little is offered.>> TRUE DAT! n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 5/24/13 12:44pm
Msg #471143

<<< The notary automatically takes pictures of the IDs....>>>

During the confirmation call, I inform the borrowers to have copies of their IDs to return with the package. As a back up, I have a lightweight copier in my car. It cost $40. If BO failed to make the copies, I retrieve my copier from the car. I have a smart phone and still do not use that to take photos of the BOs IDs. Best $40 I've ever spent.

<<<....some SSs don't want copies....>>>

SS is just the middleperson - docs belong to and are returned to the TC. I get copies of IDs whether or not the instructions ask for it. This way, I'm not getting the complaint calls from the TC about how the BO signed, especially if the BO's signature is "printing". I have a good friend who's signature is printed. She never writes anything in cursive, including her signature. I've never had instructions that expressly say "DO NOT get ID copies".

<<<Had a TO upset because I failed to attach a loose notarization to an occupancy statement - no indication they wanted it notarized (usually is) but I should have known - really?>>>

Make NO assumptions!! While you may notarize a particular doc 98 % of the time, there is still the 2% that aren't notarized. I've had to make a quick call asking, "Normally, I see this notarized, but your doc gives not indication that it's to be notarized.....do YOU want it notarized?" Don't ask "should this be notarized" because that's relative....ask them do THEY want THEIR doc notarized.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 5/24/13 1:39pm
Msg #471148

came to the realization awhile ago....

That I wear two hats when I take on a signing. Notary and loan signing agent. The expectations you speak of seem pretty standard & within the scope of duties when I have loan signing agent hat on. I don't always have time to check if this or that form is included, but give it my best effort. That's all we can do. JMHO.

Reply by Notarysigner on 5/24/13 2:11pm
Msg #471159

Re: A F F I D A V I T n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.