Having a printing issue
Notary Discussion History

Having a printing issue
Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by TinaCA on 5/2/13 12:03pm
Msg #468296

Having a printing issue

Hi All:

I rarely post, expect every once in a while. If someone could please help me with this, I would be forever grateful. My husband is stumped on this issue as well. I have a Brother Printer HL5470 DW Dual Tray. I bought it about a month ago. When I first started printing docs, they printed about 40 pages per minute. Now for some reason or another. It is printing so much slower. I tried calling Brother, NO Help.

Thanks Tina

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/2/13 12:11pm
Msg #468299

Do you still have one of the documents that printed fast? You could try printing a few pages from it to see if it is something about the documents you have printed recently, or something that affects all documents.

Also, is it only documents printed from one program, such as Adobe Reader, that are slow, or all programs?

Reply by James Morgan on 5/2/13 12:12pm
Msg #468300

I rarely post here either. My HP is rated at 22ppm. But sometimes, it gets as slow as 1 page every 30 seconds. I researched this and found that your printer speed depends on how the documents are scanned on the other end. So, just see if your print speed varies with docs from different TC's. Hope this helps.

Reply by sueharke on 5/2/13 3:37pm
Msg #468364

Try printing a test file that worked well in the past and see if it still prints correctly. If yes, then the scanning the sender end maybe the problem. If no, scan for a virus using your favorite program and consider using "Spybot" for malware your virus software did not find.

Reinstall your printer software driver and use the "repair" option in case the software became corrupted and is not working correctly.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 5/2/13 12:22pm
Msg #468302

Hi Tina!

Could be any number of things. To start, are you using it wireless or hard-wired? If so, have you moved your printer a little further from the router? Have you recently updated your Adobe? If so, you may want to try an older version.

Any other changes recently?

Reply by Bear900/CA on 5/2/13 12:43pm
Msg #468308

Always read the reviews first

Unfortunately, you purchased a low design and problematic model machine. Some are having success with it and loving it and others are experiencing difficulties.

There were a number of product reviews out when you purchased it that would have helped you steer clear. Some owners are having problems with it blowing circuit breakers.

It’s a bad reflection on Brother to put a machine like that to market and even a bigger discredit they won’t back it up.

I would raise a stink with Brother and be the squeaky wheel to get your money back or upgrade to a decent machine like the 6180. A number of us have that model and like it. I had the 5180 before and it too is a workhorse.

Always read reviews of any brand and model machine. If there are more than a couple of bad reviews it’s not a customer preference but a poor design.

Typical review for that model:

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Brother Printer Ever, December 9, 2012

By
westhills -

This review is from: Brother Printer HL5470DW Wireless Monochrome Printer (Office Product)
I'm on my third Hl-5470 DW in three months. There's a defect that reduces the printing speed to 10-15 ppm. This has happened on three different machines, starts out fine, then printing function fries and turns into slowest printer ever.

Reply by desktopfull on 5/2/13 1:02pm
Msg #468315

Re: Always read the reviews first

I 've never had a problem with this printer. However, the latest updates from Windows 7 & Adobe shut down both of my dual tray printers (1 brother HL-5470DW, 1 HP-2430tn). I deleted both and reinstalled, however, I still can't get the HP-2430tn to print. Windows won't recognize it as a USB printer and I don't have an LPT port on either of my computers. So I am very grateful that I had the Brother printer, at least it works!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.